Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWhat Have You Watched Lately? June / July
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=680354
680354, What Have You Watched Lately? June / July
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-09-14 02:17 PM
680355, The Double Life of Veronique (Kieslowski, 1991)
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-09-14 02:18 PM
what's the British term..."taking the piss"? either I was for watching this or Kieslowski was for making it. a series of fuck off moments, obviousness and obtuseness over 100 minutes.

that said, I really enjoyed the Three Colors Trilogy.
680357, Alphaville (Godard, 1965)
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-09-14 02:19 PM
as a fan (or at least admirer) of all the Godard I've seen so far, I may have reached the point where his talent as a stylist is no longer entertaining enough. I feel like I've seen every trick now, the same themes, characters, one-note cleverness and pastiche literary dialogue.

so despite a cogent narrative and classic dystopian theme here, I couldn't muster a huge reception.
680360, yeah, i couldn't get into it myself
Posted by howisya, Mon Jun-09-14 02:28 PM
i've seen 3 films by godard and haven't loved or really seen what the fuss was about with any of them
680362, Vivre Sa Vie?
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-09-14 02:33 PM
that's the only one of his that's transcendent to me. the rest I've seen are entertaining in a manufactured-art-house sort of way. incredibly skilled director, however.
680364, RE: Vivre Sa Vie?
Posted by howisya, Mon Jun-09-14 02:38 PM
that's one of several i am still planning to see, but the other 2 i've seen are breathless and band of outsiders. i see one of his every few years, hoping i can get the hype, and they're just aiight to me. i'll keep trying because he certainly has plenty of (well-liked) films.

>the
>rest I've seen are entertaining in a manufactured-art-house
>sort of way. incredibly skilled director, however.

i can relate, but i figure he was one of the innovators of that style that is easy to take for granted because of how much it's taken off (and arguably been greatly improved) since.
680358, Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky, 1966)
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-09-14 02:22 PM
for my money, Tarkosvky is the most brilliant visual filmmaker ever. take any 10 minutes of this film, or The Mirror, or Stalker, and it'd rank as one of the best sequences that any other director has ever shot.

Rublev is perhaps the ultimate representation of his "man on a mission, lost in his own environment and time" theme (unless you're counting himself in The Mirror), although for long stretches the very titular character has little to do with unfolding events. he's not even grandly introduced throughout the start of the film, and you wonder a bit which one is Rublev until an hour in.

I normally loathe the suggestion that a film must be experienced twice -- especially one that is 3.5 hours to begin with -- but I'm anxious for a re-watch, with a better context of the events to start. even without that (and context seems the least of Tarkovsky's intentions anyway), there's so many great scenes: the jester, the gouging, Vladimir, the bell casting...just a mesmerizing work of art, one that has a lot to say about the process of its creation.
680361, i fell hard asleep on this one
Posted by howisya, Mon Jun-09-14 02:30 PM
like, way hard. i need to see it again, but i remember preferring solaris and stalker
680443, I'm a Tarkovsky fan, but Rublev is boring as shit
Posted by Deebot, Tue Jun-10-14 11:48 AM
There's no other way around it. Big fan of Solaris, Stalker (probably in my top 15 of all time), and the Sacrifice. Hated Rublev and Mirror.
680469, Solaris is his outlier to me
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jun-10-14 05:32 PM
(although I haven't seen Nostalghia or Ivan's Childhood yet)

maybe because it was his first movie in full color, or due to the fact he didn't get along with Banionis (interesting to think that Bibi Anderssen was considered for Hari at one point), but as a whole, it's less like Stalker/Rublev/Mirror despite being very good on its own.

I'm kind of at odds with The Mirror myself, as the voice-over and flashback footage make it hard to watch in spots. sort of a precursor to Malick's Tree of Life in a couple ways.
681012, RE: Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky, 1966)
Posted by Sponge, Thu Jun-19-14 01:25 PM
>for my money, Tarkosvky is the most brilliant visual
>filmmaker ever

The sound design of his films are equally impressive (egs. the dreams in Nostalghia, Stalker, The Sacrifice; the ride to The Zone in Stalker).
680432, Walk of Shame with Elizabeth Banks & James Marsden
Posted by Ray_Snill, Tue Jun-10-14 09:59 AM

Very funny movie to me, a lot funnier than I expected.

<================================
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4837778/william-moore-wwe-tackle-o.gif
680459, Watching Sopranos for the first time.
Posted by Mr. Wednesday, Tue Jun-10-14 04:22 PM
Nearing the end of the series, bout 6 episodes left.

Strikes me that this series is really a meta-commentary on TV/film tropes and history more than a story in its own right. Don't get me wrong, it's a great story (or a series of mostly great stories), but most episodes seem to reflect upon and respond to so much shit that's come before in the medium.

Maybe it's because I just watched the episode with the premiere of "Cleaver." Especially brilliant because it's filled with moments of characters questioning their legacies. Here's the show, nearing it's end, questioning its own legacy, and giving us "Cleaver" with Tony saying, "100 years from now, we'll all be dead and people will be watching this shit." Brilliant.
680571, Drug War (Johnnie To, 2013)
Posted by Anfernee, Thu Jun-12-14 04:33 AM
So fucking real and awesome.
681062, Cheap Thrills. Give it a solid B+
Posted by double negative, Sat Jun-21-14 12:07 AM
reminds me of the cool indie flicks that seemed to be everywhere during the 90s
681063, The Source Family, re-watching The Wire, World War Z
Posted by Roadblock, Sat Jun-21-14 12:35 AM
Source Family - Father Yod cult leader was truly bugged out, a must see

The Wire - I'm due for a re-watch, happens every 2 yrs

World War Z - Slept Hard due to zombie fatigue, actually really good, Daniella Kertesz is fine!
681090, RE: Musicals
Posted by maternalbliss, Sat Jun-21-14 09:29 PM
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1068)
Don't understand the low marks. It's a fine solid film for kids.
Grade B

Westside Story (1961)
If you like On the Waterfront and Romeo and Juliet, you will love this. WS is an undeniably great classic musical.
Grade A+

Funny Girl (1968)
If you like A Star is Born (1954) you might, oh let me say maybe, lol, you will like this. FG does have some funny moments and the music is great but i thought Barbra and Omar lacked chemistry. I did enjoy watching FG i just did not love it.
Grade B
681535, RE: What Have You Watched Lately? June
Posted by howisya, Mon Jun-30-14 11:10 PM
Nature: Animal Odd Couples
The Way, Way Back
R.I.P.D.
Il Postino
Broken City
Logan's Run
The Bourne Legacy
Attack The Gas Station 2
Jack The Giant Slayer
Morvern Callar
X-Men: Days Of Future Past
Good Morning, Vietnam
Pushing Tin
Life
Remembering The Artist Robert De Niro, Sr.
Killer Joe
Red 2
The Tales Of Hoffmann
Mortal Kombat: The Movie
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
Mom And Dad Save The World
The Story Of Us
Great Expectations (2011)
Waiting To Exhale
Original Gangstas
A Rage In Harlem

Flight Of The Conchords - Season 1
Game Of Thrones - Season 1
682557, way to tell us what you liked and didn't. lol
Posted by astralblak, Mon Jul-21-14 03:24 PM
682574, i tried that once, my first time (no virgin-o)
Posted by howisya, Mon Jul-21-14 08:18 PM
i know these topics usually say grade them, but i don't really like grading art, especially after one viewing (or listening, etc.). instead, i just put the ones i've seen up to that point in the month, in order, and allow people to respond to something in there if they want. i'm good at finding something, or a lot, to like in anything i take the time to watch (or, again, listen to, etc.), so *normally* there would not be much i would say i didn't like in these lists. last month was unusual in that i watched a bunch on hbo go just because i could, so i saw some disappointing ones:

R.I.P.D.
Logan's Run (so dated)
The Bourne Legacy
Jack The Giant Slayer (annoying lead, and the whole movie just didn't click for me)
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (i was wondering if i'd seen this before, and nope, it was clear to see why)

i'm always up for cute animals, so Nature: Animal Odd Couples was great.

The Way, Way Back i don't think quite lived up to my expectations, but it was solid with good humor and heart.

Il Postino (The Postman) i'd been wanting to see for many years, and it was excellent. great acting, especially by the lead who pretty much gave the last bit of his life to the role, funny, heartwarming, and with beautiful women and scenery.

Attack The Gas Station 2 was so much fun, even more than the first. it had the exact kind of humor i love and that i feel is rare on screen, most often appearing in asian flicks. great action and just all around entertaining as well.

The Purge, which i forgot to list last month, was one of my favorites that i saw and far exceeded my expectations. it was simple but extremely effective and gripping. people saying the sequel is even better have me hyped to see it.

Killer Joe i'd been wanting to see for a long time, and it was great. there is a grit and edge/uneasiness to friedkin's films that i appreciate. check out his film bug some time. it's not as good, but it's weird, wild, and wonderful like this one.

Red 2 had so much more action than i expected. it was over the top but fun. i thought it would suck because i recalled it tanking at the box office, but i really had no issues with it. it didn't take itself too seriously, just delivered nonstop action (like, ridiculous levels of gunplay and car chases) and laughs.

Mom And Dad Save The World i think had the sample from "mercy" in it, not that "mercy" has the most complicated chord progression, but i think i heard the source of inspiration. with that out of the way, this was one of those silly movies i remember from the box at the video store. i don't think i'd ever seen it before. eventually i give in watch even if it takes 20+ years. this had redeeming qualities, but its obscurity and disastrous reputation are deserved.

The Story Of Us was a rewatch and even better the 2nd time. i connected with it emotionally more now than i did then. i feel like bruce willis as serious actor and rob reiner as director are a bit underrated.

Great Expectations (2011) was perhaps my favorite adaptation of one of my favorite books. i enjoyed its style and felt it did a fine job on the story. ray winstone is a terrific actor, and i think i somehow have even more of a crush on gillian anderson in these freaky roles like as miss havisham or as hannibal lecter's therapist than i did growing up watching x-files.

Waiting To Exhale was great to see the actresses in their prime, and it's another i'd just always wanted to see. i guess as an overall movie or story it was just ok, but for bringing back the '90s for a couple hours, i was well into it.

Original Gangstas was a lot of fun with the blaxploitation stars of yesteryear cleaning up "da 'hood." larry cohen directed hell up in harlem and black caesar so it was fun to see this angle of the genre. for what it was, i enjoyed it.

A Rage In Harlem was a total surprise because i was not at all familiar with it but gave it a try. it was fun and kind of outdid Life in some of the same themes. i was really happy with this one and pleased i gave it a try.

Flight Of The Conchords is really funny, and the music is as good as people say. i am actually up to the last episode of the first season.

Game Of Thrones i am enjoying, but the hype killed it for me. as good as it is, it can't live up to the buildup. i am only watching it because i am borrowing the blu-rays and have to return them. i feel guilty because (july spoiler) i started orphan black after finishing the season 1 finale of GOT and ended up watching the complete series so far of orphan black before resuming GOT because i enjoyed it so much more.
681574, RE: What Have You Watched Lately? June / July
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Tue Jul-01-14 02:54 PM
Blue jasmine
Crimes and misdemeanors
Elysium

681585, Red Desert (Antonioni, 1964)
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jul-01-14 09:05 PM
Antonioni does some interesting work with color here, his first feature using the medium. to start is a monochrome look, in color but dulled to the point of the blandest sepia (the lost, indifferent state Monica Vitti begins the film in). that transitions into sharp reds, where the attraction between Vitti and Richard Harris reaches its apex, then even stronger blues, which mark a sort of longing and depression. at the end is a muted white, as both a resolution and resignation.

however, aside from the many scenes that ended with a question (which I loved; asking said more than any answer), most of the dialogue felt less poetic or interesting than other Antonioni films. the anti-industrial motif seemed thinner as well, leaving me a bit cold to this one overall.
681591, Blended
Posted by Playa_Politician, Tue Jul-01-14 10:19 PM
or Blender can't remember.

Movie with terrible acting that had a few funny parts. I wouldn't watch it again if i can avoid it.
681750, Sansho the Bailiff (Mizoguchi, 1954)
Posted by will_5198, Sun Jul-06-14 04:44 PM
I'm a little indifferent to the Mizoguchi films I've seen so far (only this and Ugetsu Monogatari). His direction is very classical, and hits all the fundamentals perfectly...but the resulting parables are a bit cold, if not outright depressing. Amazing title for a movie, however.
681752, those are the same 2 i've seen and in the same order
Posted by howisya, Sun Jul-06-14 05:14 PM
and i guess i stopped there for the same reason, but i remember digging the imagery in ugetsu
681756, I'll get to Life of Oharu eventually
Posted by will_5198, Sun Jul-06-14 05:32 PM
and yeah, Ugetsu has some nice imagery but the print I saw was quite bad (unfortunately the case with many Japanese movies of that time).
681826, Maleficient A
Posted by lfresh, Tue Jul-08-14 10:18 AM
It was solid

Snowpiercer A-
Too much cup built up for too obvious a hit you over the head preaching
Otherwise I enjoyed it

Transformers D
Bad...pretty bad

How to Train Your Dragon 2 B
'Twas enjoyable...not happy about *spoiler* though :(

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
681841, Woman in the Dunes (Teshigahara, 1964)
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jul-08-14 01:41 PM
I've rarely heard this film brought up among the classics of its era, but it's as great as any movie I've seen from an Asian director.

Spectacular cinematography -- a few exterior shots looked fairly dangerous -- and an art house theme that works as pure entertainment. I wonder if Jonathan Glazer is a fan, because there are several scenes that could've been inspirational to Under the Skin (the amazing soundtrack, sense of entrapment, extreme close-ups and cold shots of natural scenery).

An unheralded masterpiece.
681846, RE: Woman in the Dunes (Teshigahara, 1964)
Posted by howisya, Tue Jul-08-14 02:28 PM
>I've rarely heard this film brought up among the classics of
>its era, but it's as great as any movie I've seen from an
>Asian director.

i would not go that far personally, but i really dug it and agree it deserves more love

i also saw the face of another and pitfall, which i did not enjoy as much

>and an art house theme that works as pure
>entertainment.

yeah, that's an important distinction, arguably not enough films try or at least manage to balance the two so it's special when you find one that excels on both levels
681866, The book is amazing, as well
Posted by Madvillain 626, Tue Jul-08-14 08:07 PM
681957, Sullivan and Son
Posted by lfresh, Thu Jul-10-14 08:41 PM
Classic sitcom ala Cheers
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
682050, Rundskop aka Bullhead (2011)
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Sat Jul-12-14 05:49 PM
The Belgian film which was nominated for Best Foreign Language film in 2011

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821593/

If you are a cinephile, enjoy subtitled movies and feel like watching something challenging then give yourself a couple of hours to watch Bullhead. The film doesn't answer every question leaving some things to the viewers interpretation of events.

Matthias Schoenaerts a damaged soul stuck in a truculent body. Superb acting. He has the potential to be a huge star in Hollywood but I like the roles he is currently taking in independent cinema.

I hear Schoenaerts might be taking the lead role in the film version of Galveston (the novel) written by Nic Pozzolatto, the creator of True Detective.

Michaël R. Roskam the director showed great promise and the way this film was handled and some visuals flourishes anyone would like to call their own. I noticed a homage to Hitchcock's Vertigo towards the end.
682055, Blue is the Warmest Color - C
Posted by lfresh, Sat Jul-12-14 07:53 PM
Clearly titillation for men
Most interesting parts were not the sex scenes and unfortunately it suffered from the overhype regarding the sex scenes
~~~~
~~~~
682077, RE: Blue is the Warmest Color - A
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Sun Jul-13-14 06:34 PM
This was superb and really hit me hard. Very intense piece of film making - superb acting, writing and directing.

This film will be remembered for decades to come.
682095, Yep I noticed a lot of men were um..." Hit hard"
Posted by lfresh, Mon Jul-14-14 12:57 AM
Pretty typical genital response
I'd be impressed if men were honest about it and realistic about the very heavily skewed perspective and the clear limitations this put on the director and many male viewers

As it is no shock here
Only two dudes in the original post didn't try to hide behind fake cinematic appeals and saw it for the average if unnecessarily lengthy movie it was
~~~~
~~~~
682104, RE: Yep I noticed a lot of men were um..." Hit hard"
Posted by SankofaII, Mon Jul-14-14 06:56 AM
>Pretty typical genital response
>I'd be impressed if men were honest about it and realistic
>about the very heavily skewed perspective and the clear
>limitations this put on the director and many male viewers
>
>As it is no shock here
>Only two dudes in the original post didn't try to hide behind
>fake cinematic appeals and saw it for the average if
>unnecessarily lengthy movie it was

every dude who says he loved the movie STRICTLY is doing for the lesbian sex....

because as a whole, the movie was an hour too long. It was a good movie but not this brilliant film people were screaming last year...

682197, prety much
Posted by lfresh, Mon Jul-14-14 11:50 PM

>every dude who says he loved the movie STRICTLY is doing for
>the lesbian sex....
>
>because as a whole, the movie was an hour too long. It was a
>good movie but not this brilliant film people were screaming
>last year...

which makes me downgrade it frankly
extraordinarily over hyped

~~~~
~~~~
682558, :)
Posted by astralblak, Mon Jul-21-14 03:27 PM
it is no shock here
>Only two dudes in the original post didn't try to hide behind
>fake cinematic appeals and saw it for the average if
>unnecessarily lengthy movie it was

raises hand
682700, Oh dude I SAW
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jul-23-14 09:03 PM
And thank you
You know my little feminist behind was huffing and puffing
Even watched it with a bi friend to be sure
I figured she would at least enjoy the visuals
She was in the same boat as you
Nice story but...way to over emphasized and long
~~~~
~~~~
682796, RE: Blue is the Warmest Color - C
Posted by maternalbliss, Sat Jul-26-14 12:21 AM
>Clearly titillation for men (and gaydies)
lol, this is true for about 80% of movies being made today. Oh yeah, please don't tell me you did not know that. lol All these superhero movies, 300, Thor,Batman, now Hercules. I could say more but imma leave it at that.

15% of movies are made for kids and the other 5% for everybody else.

I'd rather go to the movies than read books, lol, but i really don't think i will be going to the movies as much in the future. This year has really sucked. 2014 has been a lackluster year for movies.

Bliss

682829, The problem here?
Posted by lfresh, Sat Jul-26-14 05:50 PM
Those movies are not trying to hide it behind artistry, "cinematic excellence" and "real ness"
This one?
The disingenuity is pretty disgusting
~~~~
~~~~
682070, John Carter From Mars - solid B
Posted by BigReg, Sun Jul-13-14 12:17 PM
Outside of the fact they tried to cram in a bit too much into the flick and the two leads needed a bit more charisma, it was a great popcorn flick and I am a bit saddened we won't see more because of the bad mojo surrounding its release. Id describe it as if what they were going for with the Star Wars prequels had a good team behind it and actually worked. Also, on a side note, if you were a big fan of HBO's Rome you've got the actors playing Marc Anthony and Ceasar kinda playing the same characters, lol

Quiet as kept, some of the best CGI acting/character work ive seen; better then Avatar
682096, It's kinda sad
Posted by lfresh, Mon Jul-14-14 12:58 AM
It really is right up that Indian jones/Star Wars alley
And wasn't that bad
~~~~
~~~~
682559, a B? it was so boring and some the CGI was weak
Posted by astralblak, Mon Jul-21-14 03:28 PM
it was also hella long

no bueno
682615, Agreed. Need a sequel if not a franchise
Posted by Mr. Wednesday, Tue Jul-22-14 12:33 PM
Not a great flick by any means but underrated by far. I'd be in the seats for a sequel right quick.
682105, I have seen
Posted by SankofaII, Mon Jul-14-14 07:00 AM
Cold in July
Zodiac (again)
The Silence (A German procedural crime thriller)
The Purge 2: Anarchy (advanced screening LOVED IT)
Deliver Us From Evil (dug it)
Out of Sight (again)
High Art (gritty 1998 lesbian film starring Radha Mitchell and Ally Sheedy)
Edge of Tomorrow
X-Men: Days of Future Past
The Double
Enemy (again)
Stranger by The Lake (atmospheric French gay thriller that was overlooked in the Blue Is The Warmest Color talk but it is quite good
682113, 'The Place Beyond the Pines'
Posted by Af-1, Mon Jul-14-14 08:58 AM
Kinda in two minds about whether I liked it or not - there were some great ideas to it but I found it all a little too self-indulgent like a lot of Ryan Gosling films. Definitely something for Bradley Cooper who just continually impresses.
682311, RE: 'The Place Beyond the Pines' -B
Posted by lfresh, Tue Jul-15-14 08:07 PM
Agreed
~~~~
~~~~
682429, binge watching Boardwalk Empire
Posted by honeyprodigy, Thu Jul-17-14 04:55 PM
on season 3 now. Hating the heck out of Gillian Dormandy. Enjoying Nucky's change or rather progress into a full blown killer.
682582, Boyhood - A
Posted by lfresh, Mon Jul-21-14 11:30 PM
nice work

Black Girl in Paris
not sure
beautifully shot and acted though

~~~~
~~~~
682682, Finding Vivian Maier - A
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jul-23-14 03:29 PM
Read some bad reviews prior but it was surprisingly well done

The detractors were more about inclusiveness
But the history if docs and the art world is always problematic with accreditation and political maneuvering

Hence I'll be seeing bbc's version on Vivian shortly
~~~~
~~~~
682788, Killer Joe (2011)
Posted by Anfernee, Fri Jul-25-14 08:55 PM
My man McConnonnoauhghey was so fucking creepy, but he killed that shit.

That fried chicken drumstick shit.

Dude.
682799, RE: Buck and the Preacher (1972)
Posted by maternalbliss, Sat Jul-26-14 12:59 AM
Sidney Poitier, Ruby Dee, Harry Belafonte

OK for all you folks who did not like Django watch this, This is a solid good film about ex slaves migrating west after the Civil war.
Grade B+
682828, Wadjda A+
Posted by lfresh, Sat Jul-26-14 05:48 PM
Excellent movie
~~~~
~~~~
682862, Amour A-
Posted by lfresh, Sun Jul-27-14 04:00 PM
Very good
If problematic
~~~~
~~~~
682865, RE: What Have You Watched Lately? July
Posted by howisya, Sun Jul-27-14 04:23 PM
forgotten from last month: The Purge

Cage
Transformers: Age Of Extinction (3D IMAX)
The Sender (1982)
Orphan Black - Season 1
Legend (1985) (Director's Cut)
Chain Reaction
The Man Who Knew Too Little
Rise Of The Guardians
Les Misérables (2012)
Apartment 4E
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (3D)
Black Butterflies
We're The Millers
Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars: The Motion Picture
Rounders
Don Juan DeMarco
Gangster Squad
The Rugrats Movie
The Addams Family (1991)
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
The Theatre Bizarre
Breakdown

Orphan Black - Season 2
682915, Oxford Blues - C
Posted by lfresh, Mon Jul-28-14 07:22 PM
Omg everyone was so young and rob was hawt but meh eh

Le Divorce - C+
Not too bad

~~~~
~~~~
682942, The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Yates, 1973)
Posted by The Analyst, Tue Jul-29-14 01:38 PM
Outstanding. Gritty crime drama, set in the bleakness of early winter in Boston and the surrounding towns.

Robert Mitchum (in a truly great performance) plays a weary, aging, mid-level criminal who got bagged driving a delivery truck with stolen booze in New Hampshire. He's facing a 2-3 year bid but is getting old and doesn't want do the time, be an embarrassment to his wife and kids, and worse, see them go on welfare. So he starts considering other options.

The whole cast is a who's who of great under-the-radar 70s character actors. There's not a bad performance in the bunch.

Peter Boyle's character is a heartless son of a bitch.

There are a few bank robberies and a cool parking lot arrest scene, but in general the action isn't a focus at all. It's about watching Mitchum's fate - the fate of a career criminal, or a career middle-man in an especially cut-throat economy - unfold in real time.

This was a Paramount picture. No way modern-day Hollywood studios would let a mainstream picture with a major star in the leading role end on such a depressing, down-beat note. The 70s were the only years they could get away with shit like this...
683131, RE: The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Yates, 1973)
Posted by maternalbliss, Thu Jul-31-14 10:16 PM
Hey,
this sounds like a tight film. I definitely will be hecking this out.

Bliss
682951, The Best Man Holiday - A
Posted by lfresh, Tue Jul-29-14 05:43 PM
Terrence is a damn trip
I had low or no expectations
I was entertained
Also I admit one entire grade is devoted solely to shirtless Morris and Diggs
Halleluyur
~~~~
~~~~
682956, Married and You're the Worst
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Jul-29-14 07:05 PM
Gonna hold off on making posts for them but they were better than I thought.

Married feels like it is trying to be a lighter version of Louie (or a mix of Louie and The League.) The cast is great and it will be interesting to see which direction it goes into - I'm guessing it will be closer to The League than Louie.

You're the Worst was a lot more risque than I thought, had some decent jokes but it is tough to act like these guys are terrible people when they don't really do THAT much that makes them seem awful. Reminded me a bit of "I Give It a Year".

Half-watched Charley Varrick.
682958, A Young Doctors Notebook
Posted by lfresh, Tue Jul-29-14 07:50 PM
I...er...um...trippy

Sex scenes with the nurse are HILARIOUSLY awkward
~~~~
~~~~
683134, Bronson (Refn, 2008)
Posted by Anfernee, Fri Aug-01-14 12:08 AM
This shit was a trip. Weird, disturbing, and comical. Tom Hardy is a beast (both physically and in his performance here), but the story was just okay.

Also, Tom Hardy has a weird penis.

There's a lot of penis in this.
683147, Hardy is amazing in it though, isn't he?
Posted by Af-1, Fri Aug-01-14 08:22 AM
(aside from his penis)