Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectYou claimed I was saying it wasn't an issue
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=679396&mesg_id=679723
679723, You claimed I was saying it wasn't an issue
Posted by SoulHonky, Thu May-29-14 02:18 PM
which was a bold faced lie.

>There is a lot of the usual lets only discuss this when YOU
>feel its appropriate and YOU are comfortable and on YOUR terms
>and when YOU deem its relevant though.

Yes, when mental illness is involved, I think it's not an opportunity to discuss the other issues. Bringing it up when mental illness is involved is like pointing at a crazy homeless man screaming racist epithets and saying, "See, there's the problem with our racist culture."

And when one's take on mental illness is so jaw droppingly ignorant that he thinks people with mental illnesses just need to grow up, then I think it's better that they hold off for a few weeks and then write their piece about Big Bang Theory without the link to the psychopath's actions.
I mean, it's not like Hollywood doesn't give us countless opportunities to discuss these issues. Opportunities which are often allowed to just slide on by.

Ann Hornaday reviewed Neighhors - she said it's crude but made no stand about it, even ending her review with, "Not judging, just saying."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/movies/neighbors-movie-review-crude-jokes-and-bromances-abound/2014/05/07/b0cf6abc-d52a-11e3-8a78-8fe50322a72c_story.html

She didn't touch upon it in her review of Kick Ass 2, which is basically ASKING to be critiqued on its mysogyny.

But now that an insane kid shoots up Santa Barbara and the nightly news is talking about his sexist screed, "Neighbors" is suddenly the example of everything that's wrong with society.

I think that's bullshit opportunism and I think it does a disservice to the issue because it's an everyday issue and it also usually exposes a complete lack of understanding of mental illness. None of which helps solve the problems at hand.