Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecttwo things:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=679396&mesg_id=679638
679638, two things:
Posted by amplifya7, Wed May-28-14 03:47 PM
>I've known pick-up artists and while, yes, some stuff they
>preach is positive in terms of self-esteem, I can't say I
>found much of their approach to life as positive.

I'm not talking touchy feely "believe you have self-worth" type of self improvement; I read PUA materials that advocated things like taking Improv Acting classes or joining Recreational Sports leagues, Art classes, etc. for the sake of being in groups and having regular activities that you do and meet people, as well as going to the gym to stay in shape and lift your mood, etc.

>I'm not blaming PUAs just like I'm not blaming movies. And I
>don't know the kid but given his history, I think the idea
>that a PUA could have swooped in and saved the day is bonkers
>to me (and assumes that his parents and trained professional
>therapists never tried socializing exercises.)

Are there really socializing/approaching exercises that exist outside of PUA? I've never heard of them, but I do remember reading plenty of non-flirty/non"pickup" exercises PUA stuff advocated, like just walking around and smile and nod at 10 people, ask 10 people in a book store for recommendations, ask 10 people what time it is just to feel comfortable engaging and approaching people, etc...If those types of things exist outside the context of PUA, i've never seen them.

Someone as dangerous as him most likely would'nt be able to sift through it and separate the good from the bad, I'm just saying I think there is a lot of stuff in there that could potentially help guys similar to him (lonely depressed virgins who think its unfair that they are so alone and don't have girls in their lives)