Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectfantastic movie...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=676623&mesg_id=686887
686887, fantastic movie...
Posted by SankofaII, Mon Oct-13-14 12:49 PM
perfectly cast.

Pike was outstanding as Amy Dunne....I wouldn't be mad if she slipped in and got a Best Actress nomination (and I suspect that could happen given that it's shaping up to be a weak ass year for Best Actress performances (Julianne Moore in Still Alice, and Reese Witherspoon in Wild seem to be the sure bets along with Pike)

Affleck really did turn in the best role of his career...period.

Kim Dickey was awesome as Rhonda Boney

Carrie Coon *SO* deserves a supporting actress oscar nod or at least be considered for her work as Go

Tyler Perry was surprisingly good; Neil Patrick Harris was great; Casey Wilson, Sela Ward, Missy Pyle (sp?), etc. the entire cast was excellent across the board.

i think the claims of misogyny are problematic since the movie was quite complicated in that manner...it was at times misogynist leaning, misandrist, both of those things, none of those things...and something else entirely.

The film raised some interesting questions about all of them that purposely weren't answered and that was fine with me.

But, i can't ride with Gillian Flynn being called a misogynist by male critics...smh

a darkly comic and intelligent adult marital thriller with, to date, one of the more intelligently written, complex and psychopathic roles for women to pop up lately.

Pike approach Amy in a way that was pretty fucking brilliant. And Pike's mix of cold, aloof, icy detachment (something that has been said about her over the years by directors and actors alike allegedly. I mean, shit, even Fincher couldn't place her because he thought she was "odd" that was one of the reasons which was behind him casting her)

great movie I saw twice and would see again...