Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe one "woman problem" piece that I agreed with...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=676623&mesg_id=686333
686333, The one "woman problem" piece that I agreed with...
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Oct-04-14 01:16 PM
... was in... Vulture, I think.

In essence, it said the biggest problem regarding the film's "misogyny" (the author did not feel the book was misogynistic in the slightest... or, rather, it is, but as it also hates all men, it's okay) is that it took a book that was told evenly from two perspectives and tilted the scale in the film, as much more of the movie is from the POV of the male character.

It still didn't really read the film as "misogynistic," but it admitted it's harder to defend the film from these accusations when, despite the scale-tilt being completely necessary in order to preserve the First Big Twist, the tilt nevertheless is present. The movie does tilt more towards Nick than Amy in terms of "sympathy."

It's weird to think in terms of sympathy at all with any of these characters, really. It's very complex material in terms of Gender Statements... which makes some's dismissal of the book as "airport novel trash" all the more hilarious.