Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectSick and twisted and funny and fun.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=676623&mesg_id=686328
686328, Sick and twisted and funny and fun.
Posted by ZooTown74, Sat Oct-04-14 11:57 AM
Pretty much followed the book but with slight tweaks on the last 10-15 minutes or so

It's also funnier than expected, which includes the fantastic score, even though the book was also a snappy satire on the modern media frenzy phenomenon.

To that point, Affleck put a little extra on the (paraphrased) line, "They love you then they hate you." I've read reviews that find fault with the fact that he's taken over the story, which the reviewer believes is the opposite of what happens in the book. But that's not true, if only for the fact that he's reacting to pretty much everything that's going on. His casting was perfect, and he was very good.

The story is being driven by Amy, even in flashback. I dug Rosamund Pike's performance a lot. There wasn't a lot of "emotional depth" that would have made us better understand her motivations for doing what she's doing, but then again, "emotional depth" is not this story's calling card, in either book or movie form.

Carrie Coon was dope. Kim Pickens and Patrick Fugit were solid. Tyler was fine. I thought anything relating to Desi was a weak link, but NPH was ok, given the flimsy character he was given. Some of the dialogue was also a bit obvious but not enough to seriously irritate me. Gillian's making a point here about us dudez, which is why any critical accusations of "misogyny" are kinda weird.

The movie's twisted and fun. And no, it wasn't too long. I have married friends who need to see this, and when they do I'm sure there will be many guffaws of recognition.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Some of you post as if you're really short. Also, your LULZ were never entertaining.