Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCOTM: A dying breed
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=673787
673787, COTM: A dying breed
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
Looks like some good stuff came out last wk, more on the way this wk.

Are Cerealfusion and I the only ones to do the Secret Satan? Not that I've done it yet (sorry Cere). He hooked me up with a book that looks great and a sweet Arya Stark figure.

Library's parent-child comics club had its first meeting last Tuesday. Good turnout, very interesting. 6 out of the 10 kids were girls, and they were all there because of Amulet. 5 out of the 10 kids were Asian (3 South and 2 East). We were all supposed to take a book we were into. I took Snarked; my daughter took Bone; and my boy took a Calvin & Hobbes collection. One kid had a graphic Don Quixote (not the Eisner one) and all he wanted to talk about was the 'inappropriate' sections ("there's this one page - here it is - and look, there's a naked man and woman, and they're kissing!"). The librarian asked him about the other books he'd brought (he brought a few) and he just said 'Oh, they're... inappropriate." I checked out his stash later and one of 'em was a Johns GL book. Hilarious.

How long before this Nic Pizzolato dude gets tapped to write comics? Seems to me he'd be excellent.

What else? Paddle season's just about over. I have some snowdrops up in the garden but they keep getting frozen and snowed on. Last Thursday night three chickens never made it back to the coop. I got home at 12:30 and found them. One was huddled under a pile of logs, so I had to drage her out by the tail. It was also 7 degrees at this time. Fun stuff.

So as always, any & all comics chatter and other bullshit below. Maybe he can go half-plat this month...

Poll question: COTM: A dying breed

Poll result (6 votes)
something Marvel (3 votes)Vote
something DC (0 votes)Vote
something Vertigo (0 votes)Vote
something Image (2 votes)Vote
something Dark Horse (0 votes)Vote
ah, just leddigo... COTW is dead (1 votes)Vote

673796, Put MIND MGMT on hold at the library
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Mar-04-14 11:53 AM
Excited to see what that one's all about finally.

I'm in line for the latest Darwyn Cooke PARKER book as well. EEEE.

I've maybe read 3 *comic books* in as many months. Maybe. Just been working non-stop, and when I do read it's been... prose. The one's without the pictures? Yeah I dunno what's up with that either.

I recently tried reading Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind because I'd heard it was one of the greatest comics ever, but I couldn't get into it. Le shrug.

K4 has been getting into superheroes heavvvvy which is kind of something I've been waiting for if not necessarily pushing towards. It's fun, it can be a little exhausting because he grills me on their origins non-stop. Oh, and if he doesn't like their origin, he'll request that I come up with a new one. I guess Hulk was just one science-experiment-gone-wrong too many, so in our household Bruce Banner became the Hulk thanks to a magic green crystal. Or, if he's watching a cartoon and it plays out differently than how I described it to him, he just shoots me this look that says, "You don't even know what you're talking about old man"

He still digs those Tiny Titans comics L_d sent for Secret Satan, and we've been reading some Superhero Squad comics from the library. Those are funny, sometimes a little on the snarky side. He's aware that there's levels to this shit, and that the darker stuff tends to be for "big kids" so naturally that fascinates him. And at my age, that stuff just feels like it's trying too hard to be 'mature', so meanwhile I'm pushing for B:BATB. Outrageous.
673810, RE: Put MIND MGMT on hold at the library
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Mar-04-14 03:06 PM
>Excited to see what that one's all about finally.

it's about... well, just read it. I like it. Just picked up #19 over lunch.

>I'm in line for the latest Darwyn Cooke PARKER book as well.
>EEEE.

Yassir... I'm hoping that doesn't mean there's one out that I've missed.

>I've maybe read 3 *comic books* in as many months. Maybe. Just
>been working non-stop,

Good to know... I went about a month w/o getting to the shop back in Jan/Feb - between work insanity and weather insanity, lunch + a trip to the comics shop never quite came together.

>and when I do read it's been... prose.
>The one's without the pictures? Yeah I dunno what's up with
>that either.

haha... I'm into Clash of Kings now. Didn't finish the last prose (fiction) book I read, 'The Sound of THings Falling' by Juan Gabriel Vasquez. Also got The Luminaires (http://www.amazon.com/Luminaries-Eleanor-Catton/dp/1480592595) for my birthday, haven't even glanced at it yet but will soon.

>I recently tried reading Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
>because I'd heard it was one of the greatest comics ever, but
>I couldn't get into it. Le shrug.

You watch the movie? Probably skews a bit old for my kids but they went crazy for it when we went through our Miyazaki phase last year. I got a volume of the manga out but it didn't grab me as well. It IS much much much more detailed than the movie though.

>K4 has been getting into superheroes heavvvvy which is kind of
>something I've been waiting for if not necessarily pushing
>towards. It's fun, it can be a little exhausting because he
>grills me on their origins non-stop. Oh, and if he doesn't
>like their origin, he'll request that I come up with a new
>one. I guess Hulk was just one science-experiment-gone-wrong
>too many, so in our household Bruce Banner became the Hulk
>thanks to a magic green crystal. Or, if he's watching a
>cartoon and it plays out differently than how I described it
>to him, he just shoots me this look that says, "You don't even
>know what you're talking about old man"

I've tried to drill into my kids the idea the stories can be told in numerous ways, usually by reading a book and then watching the movie (or movies, in certain cases). So far, though, that hasn't worked on the 3 year old. Who, yes, wears a superhero shirt (with matcing underwear) almost every day. Outrageous.

>He still digs those Tiny Titans comics L_d sent for Secret
>Satan, and we've been reading some Superhero Squad comics from
>the library. Those are funny, sometimes a little on the snarky
>side. He's aware that there's levels to this shit, and that
>the darker stuff tends to be for "big kids" so naturally that
>fascinates him. And at my age, that stuff just feels like it's
>trying too hard to be 'mature', so meanwhile I'm pushing for
>B:BATB. Outrageous.

Hmm, I didn't really like the Superhero Squad books. Or Mini Marvels, for that matter. I thought DC Superfriends and most of the B:TBATB books were right on for the 4-6 age range though. Superheros, but also problem solving, and not much violence. Glad that he likes the Tiny Titans books though. Don't forget about Superman Family Adventures, either!
673801, I haven't been around these parts for a while, I'll play...
Posted by phenompyrus, Tue Mar-04-14 01:38 PM
I still read things here and there, mostly X-Men and TWD, but last week, I picked up a bunch of randoms, and I finally picked up the first trade of the original TMNT that I've been meaning to read, haven't dove into it though.
673806, Uncanny Avengers put shit on the chainwax.
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Mar-04-14 02:35 PM
Lol so many faces X'd out in the intro page.
673904, I'm just trying to see how Remender pulls this off
Posted by Boogiedwn, Thu Mar-06-14 11:25 AM
hope this wraps up soon
673827, holy shit, i completely forgot secret satan
Posted by bshelly, Tue Mar-04-14 08:51 PM
will remedy
673848, Reviews (some spoilers)
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Mar-05-14 10:56 AM
Minda MGMT #19 - okay, that recap at the front was useful, but hell man, I have no idea when half that stuff happened. Lyme getting blinded? Bill & Meru going to HI? The Eraser was the woman in the sidebar murder-story? Much as I love this book, I read it carefully and feel like important plot details shouldn't just be going right by me w/o my noticing. B+ for the issue though, maybe better.

One Hit Wonder #1 - not very good. C-/D+

The Wake #6 - hell yeah. I feel like the first half of the story got cut short, wonder if we'll be going back to that at some point, but as long as the story's as good as this issue I'm not going to care. B+

Black Science #4 - I'm not quite entrenched enough to know who the blonde chick is, but she's bad. Another good issue, not much development overall aside from the blonde's assertion to Kadir. Well, and **** dying, I guess.

Deadly Class #2 - not sold on the book yet. It's got some cool ideas, definite '80s vibe and I'll probably get #3 but I'd give it a C so far. I don't even know why everyone's so scared of Marcos.

Dead Body Road #3 - crime crossing over to action? Not as good, and that final scene... meh. C+.
673898, Anybody up on Cataclysm? Other Reviews (no spoilers)
Posted by Scarface_7, Thu Mar-06-14 10:27 AM
Thoughts at the ending?

--> How cool is Miles Morales, yo! Hope he just got a new gal pal

I dont wanna spoil anything for anyone tho, but I found it an awesome ride.

--->Walking Dead #122 this war shit is getting crazy, its going waaay too fast for me. Just a blending of faces now, I can hardly remember anyone's name or b storyline.

Also, on the Dead, I'm getting my lady slowly caught up on the comic as she's only watched it pon the tele. Weird going back and reading about the prison and all these other bodies I've forgotten about cuz it was YEARS ago. Looking back I guess I can see why some shit was Totally changed for the show

---> I have the new Manhattan Projects but I save it till I really need a pick me up. Probably my favorite title out next to SAGA

---> Uncanny Xmen continues to impress. I bowed out in the late 90s when Magik was coming into her fandom, its cool to see what she's grown into. The dialouge is great in this book, too, classic Bendis

---> Copped Warren Ellis MOON KNIGHT revamp, havent bluetoothed it to the galaxy yet, tho. I love you Moon Reader (greatest android reading app, Ever, I still use Aldiko for mags tho)

---> New Warriors is BACK! but still havent read the first two... think thats it.

My kids made me watch the Fantastic four movie over the weekend as Lego Marvel has awoken a hero hunger in them. The only thing cool about that flick was them using that Pharohe Monch song in the outro...
674454, Real life comic book shit
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Mar-12-14 04:20 PM
and when I say 'shit,' I mean 'shit.'

So we're out for dinner on Saturday night. My wife gets the kids all excited about going to one of these "Japanese" "steak"houses where the chefs throw food and shit. We get there at 5:10 and the place is fucking MOBBED - a 45 minute to an hour wait. Like, how the hell is THIS shithole so crowded and it's not even dinnertime yet?

So we go to this other place, upscale bar. They can seat us but make us promise to be out by 6:30 b/c they've got full reservations from then on. Of course it takes ten minutes for our beers to get there, and fifteen minutes for the food order so my food gets there at 6:15 - the minute my oldest decides he needs to go to the bathroom, so the little one has to go too so I take them both. The little one decides he then needs to take a crap. He proceeds to sit... and sit... and sit... and sit... you parents know the deal.

Meanwhile my fish n chips are getting soggy and gross, the hostess is trying to hustle us out, the waiter's telling the the fam not to worry mbout it. My pop takes a turn with the kids in the bathroom, then comes back out to tell me nothing's happening.

WAIT A MINNIT. You left my 3 year old in the bathroom? He says, 'don't worry, the nine year old is with him. Yes, THAT nine year old, the one still struggling with ADHD. I go in and I'll be damned if the 9yo hasn't somehow knocked the stall door off its bottom hinge. I send him back out to the table and keep trying to talk the baby into shitting or getting off the pot.

I finally resort to checking my phone to pass the time. All of a sudden (this is about 20 minutes into the ordeal) I hear 'THAT wasn't so bad!' and turn around as the kid is climbing off the pot. I look in and HOLY SHIT no wonder it took 20 minutes... the thig's gotta be over a foot long. The auto flush clicks... and the turd goes NOWHERE. Doesn't budge. We get him cleaned up, flush again... NOTHING. The water goes whooooosh but the turd just stays where it is. A third flush got it to sort of fold a bit but to all appearances it just got jammed in the outlet. I left it there and said come on we gotta get going.

Then yesterday, change of topic, we picked up 5 Guys since I had to take the kids to an evening activity. My daughter almost walks out into traffic but I get her back, we look both ways and cross at a crosswalk into the parking lot. All of a sudden I hear SQUEEEAL turn around and a big black Caddy goes ripping over the curb at very high speed and straight into Famous footwear, two or three shops down from 5 Guys. I call 911, lock the kids in the car and go over to check it out to see if anyone's injured. Crowd's forming. I peek around the store corner - the car went 20+ feet into the store, shattered glass and shoe racks and shoes everywhere, only stopped because he hit the store wall - and the first thing I see is the reverse lights come on and hear the engine rev. I couldn't do it - bolted back to the car and took off.

Turnns out it was a 75 year old guy who was reportedly drunk. Pinned a shopper against the wall (or under the car, depending on which reports you believe). There but for fortune... I was rattled as hell by all this, still shook over it today.

Picture of the car in the store: http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/wpvi/cms_exf_2007/news/local/9462764_600x338.jpg

And, oh yeah, I bought some comics today. Stray Bullets #41 was rockin'. It'd been years since I read the series, I remembered almost nothing, but it was dope. I got the new #1 too.
674471, Holy sheeee-it!
Posted by chrisP, Thu Mar-13-14 12:53 AM
Man, that's crazy - glad you guys are okay. Been there with you on story #1, but have not been in a position to watch a car careen into a building (though my grandma once pulled through the front of a post office when her little yipper dog ran under her brake pedal, causing her to freak out and slam on the gas).

Tried Stray Bullets a few years ago but didn't get into it, might have been because I'd just read a bunch of Preacher and was a little overloaded on the ultra-violence.
674562, I've beeb *right there* with your 3-yo before, believe me...
Posted by celery77, Fri Mar-14-14 09:18 AM
no pedo
674865, Damn, D!
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Mar-20-14 02:22 PM
674467, Are you folks reading "Afterlife with Archie"?
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Mar-12-14 10:58 PM
If yes, ain't it awesome?

If not, start.
674472, Grabbed the 1st issue...
Posted by KneelB4Me, Thu Mar-13-14 01:14 AM
Missed the 2nd issue, decided to just wait for the trade. But I hear good things.

"I halfway hope people put "btw, rappers lie and shit" on CD covers, like a parental advisory sticker." - OKP Villain

www.twitter.com/lexlamont
674563, anyone else read DEADLIEST CLASS by Remender? it's NICE!
Posted by celery77, Fri Mar-14-14 09:21 AM
I gotta admit, I would have rated myself a 'tepid' after issue #1, except the art was nice as hell and it was an Image book so I had some hope for the quality. well after #2, I'm in -- in in in. It's a bit of a goofy concept, but it gets fleshed out in intriguing fashion in #2. First one reads something like an intro, the real story gets set in issue #2.

Also, both issues are 29 pages long, so it's like 2.67 comics you get for the price of 2. Honestly, though -- DEFINITELY worth checking out. Does MrHood drop in here any more? He'd probably dig it tons, it's an '80s Bay Area teen crime story, pretty sweet.
674662, I have the first two, not thrilled with it
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Mar-17-14 09:50 AM
the concept is pretty interesting, and the parodic aspects of the '80s high school flicks... well, a lot of the pieces are good to me, but it hasn't really come together and I'm not sure I want to continue. Will depend on the week.

The thing that bugs me is the idea that our boy is some badass and everyone at the school is either scared of him or out to teach him a lesson. We have no idea why.

*shrug* I'll take Black Science for $500, Alex...
674909, Black Science is dope, but I like this one as a teen flick parody
Posted by celery77, Fri Mar-21-14 09:22 AM
Yes, I still watch teen flicks (mmm hmm, me and Emma Stone are *still* carrying that flame from Easy A...) -- so I like the idea of it being something of a warped John Hughes adventure. The bad-assery is the part that has me the LEAST interested, I got sucked in by the cliques...

And yeah, Black Science is ill, but the twist at the end of #4? I'm not sure, fam, so far I'm only really willing to put up with insane wheels upon wheels time stories when Hickgod's name is on it...
674660, I found 'the complete Plastic Man Comedy Adventure Hour' for $8
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Mar-17-14 09:48 AM
now I remember this show from when I was very young, probably the only reason I knew Plas before I got into comics. This is 36 episodes of the adventures of Plas, Penny, and sidekick Hula Hula (remember, this was the late '70s, back when ethnically comic sidekicks were still borderline acceptable).

Several of the reviews complain about the lack of the 'Plastic Family' (starring Baby Plas) episodes and the lack of the non-Plas components of the Comedy Adventure Hour. Considering how awful the Plas stuff is, I can only be thankful the rest isn't included.

At any rate, I stumbled on it while looking for Plastic Man shirts in a T4 size. Yeah. We'd gotten the first 8 or 9 episodes of BTBATB out of the library on DVD, and the baby quickly declared Plastic Man his favorite. Kid's got taste. Well, I might have to amend tat, becauuse he freaking LOVES the Plastic Man COmedy Adventure Hour.

Anyway. That's it for right now.
674832, New Avengers: YES *spoilers*
Posted by bshelly, Wed Mar-19-14 06:15 PM
the other shoe dropped. Black Swan, knew she was a skeeza, a straight menuosa. But #DatNati flipped the script on you, baby! SIT IN YOUR JAIL CELL AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE.
674907, really glad terrax just isnt wasted to new warriors storylines
Posted by Scarface_7, Fri Mar-21-14 08:48 AM
twas an awesome issue. I love the looks into the future and the science behind Reed's machine. Like, I've read these funny books way too long but that shit made So much sense to me....
674942, i'm interested in where this goes
Posted by bshelly, Sat Mar-22-14 09:18 AM
because, like, it would seem that the illuminati have flipped the script and escaped from the black swan's trap...but she told them to build the Bridge! i feel like she knew they'd find out about her past.

edit: also, yes, terrax is awesome. i kind of hope swan, terrax, and the thanos crew all get out at once. MASSIVE CHAOS.
674838, American Vampire: Second Cycle #1
Posted by mrshow, Wed Mar-19-14 11:11 PM
Snyder stays killing it.
674867, Darwyn Cooke SLAYGROUND
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Mar-20-14 02:25 PM
The latest installment in his series of Parker adaptations. Possibly the weakest in terms of story? I mean, it's a pretty straightforward Die Hard type of conflict with the difficulty setting set to 'Beginner'. Unlike some of the heist-ier chapters, the twists here are minor and happen relatively early in the story, and everything that follows is just straightforward Parker-brand methodical badassery. But the setting of the story is pretty unique and Cooke is a master of course, so I still say you gots to read this shit, especially if you enjoyed the others.
675338, damn, forgot to look for it this wk
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Mar-28-14 03:49 PM
I was relying on weekly trips to the shop to make sure I didn't miss anything like this, but I've onlyh made it handful of times this year so a lot of things not on my pull list have slipped by.
674874, can I go meta & discuss what killed COTW for me>
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Mar-20-14 03:03 PM
THE NEW 52.

I want my old fashioned JSA back.

I want my classic Superman back.

Nerdrant. Nerdrant. Nerdrant.

I'm not against new stuff, but GOOD EVERLOVING GREAT SCOTT GRIEF the New 52 has been lame, Shazam! excepted (amazingly, considering their handling of it in the last decade, "Black Mary Marvel" and all)

I'm only mildly interested in Forever Evil, and perplexed at how Ultraman is supposed to be strong enough to cripple Black Adam. Black Adam!!

Antyways...

Marvel stans, now is thine time to convert me. I like classic 60s Marvel, but my interest more or less stops after "Secret Wars". Like, clue me, cats (© the follow in my avi)
674908, I'm *kinda* with you, but man Marvel still can't pull me in..
Posted by celery77, Fri Mar-21-14 09:20 AM
I've dipped my toes into all kinds of Marvel titles and come away bored to death. there's just something fun about the highs and lows that DC hits -- I enjoy the camped out, ridiculous Green Lantern storylines just as much as I like the beautifully cinematic ones that somehow will never become a good movie. The problem with DC right now is that I'm struggling to find the title that lifts itself above the fray, everything is just a pretty schlocky bit of plot-drive filler. Kinda stealing from Marvel's playbook in that way, I suppose...

Although actually I've come away liking the Justice League books more than ever. They dumbed down the backstories and personalities of the big characters just enough to make Justice League pop these days.
675470, but I don't like them dumbed down!
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Apr-01-14 01:45 AM
JL was like reading Scooby-Doo w/ superpowers (and minus talking dog) after the reboot.
674978, RE: can I go meta & discuss what killed COTW for me>
Posted by Brother_Afron, Sun Mar-23-14 08:51 AM
In the past there was some kind of unifying book or story that we all seemed to discuss. That's pretty much lacking now, and the new 52 is largely responsible. I forgot which Posse member coined the term, but "powerfully mediocre" comes to mind. The only 2 decent books they have is Batman (saved solely by the art) and Wonder Woman, and I doubt it's a coincidence that they're the only two book that don't follow the boring ass house style that the rest of the line has.

Meanwhile, Marvel is pretty upfront about not giving a fuck about anything but their precious movie universe. I still fuck with New Avengers, but if I'm being honest with myself, that shit has been treading water since Infinity.

Image has some good stuff, but it feels like Saga takes 8 months off for every 5 issues they drop. On the other end, Walking Dead is showing that double shipping a boring ass war doesn't make it seem any less drawn out or repetitive, and Manhattan Projects has gone completely off the rails. That being said, East of West is pretty amazing.
675325, Yeah, I miss having a big event we can all get behind
Posted by buckshot defunct, Fri Mar-28-14 01:15 PM
I remember fondly the days when 52 had its own dedicated thread. That was Appointment Comics right there.

Now look at us! Or look at comics? I still can't call it.
675326, ^^ That was reply #52 btw
Posted by buckshot defunct, Fri Mar-28-14 01:39 PM
There are levels to this shit
675334, I dunno, I kinda resent having bought into the Posse hype for events
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Mar-28-14 03:34 PM
didn't love a single one of 'em, unless you consider 52 an event

I mean, they were all alright and all had their outstanding moments - but I didn't think a single one made a great story. I don't resent sitting out the last several at ALL.
675335, COTW kinda made the events for me
Posted by buckshot defunct, Fri Mar-28-14 03:38 PM
It's sort of a chicken/egg thing. I read the books because I liked them, but also because I wanted to keep up with the conversations. The conversations enhanced my enjoyment of the comics and vice versa.

Aside from Civil War, Final Crisis and 52 I don't recall reading or posting about too many of them. World War Hulk was weak but I bet we got some good posts out of it. By the time Siege rolled around I was pretty much event-free but I think COTW was slowing down around that time as well. Another chicken-egg thing.

You actually read Countdown though so I sympathize.
675337, hahah, I didn't read Countdown because of COTW, though
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Mar-28-14 03:48 PM
I read it because 52 was an amazing comics experience that it built my faith in the DC weekly experience, and because I was a young enough comics reader that I didn't know when to jump ship.

Countdown did help make me a much better purchaser, though... taught me that giving a title slack for any reason when it ain't moving me is reason for DROPPAGE or better yet non-continuation altogether.
675603, RE: can I go meta & discuss what killed COTW for me>
Posted by jadedeejay, Wed Apr-02-14 09:19 PM
100% co-sign on New 52 being the nail in the coffin, although my reasons may differ a bit from yours.

Real talk: I've barely picked up a comic book in the last 2yrs.

Which is kinda crazy when you consider that I'd read and purchased comics on a weekly basis since I was about 7yrs old. But New 52 (and Marvel NOW shortly after) forced me to do some serious soul searching about my (increasingly expensive, yet less and less fulfilling) lifelong habit, and I decided to walk away. Main reasons?

EVENT FATIGUE - If everything is an event, then nothing is an event anymore. House of M, Civil War, World War Hulk, Messiah Complex, Messiah War, The Initiative, Secret Invasion, One More Day, Brand New Day, Siege, Shadowland, Infinite Crisis, 52, Countdown, Final Crisis, Blackest Night, Brightest Day, Flashpoint...and so on and so forth.

I didn't hate all of those events, per se. I do hate that there were so many of them in such rapid succession though. More than anything, I wish that the Big Two in particular would figure out a business model that allows for their shared universe of characters to thrive independently in their own respective titles for more than a few months out of the year without kicking off yet another new "epic" line-wide story.

FORCED CROSSOVERS - I support the writers I like. I support the artists I like. I support the titles I like. But I HATE feeling forced to purchase a one-off issue of some stupid title that I would NEVER read otherwise, just to finish a story that started in a title that I do read regularly. And honestly, I can't think of a single time when I started reading a title that i wasn't reading before, strictly because of a forced crossover.

CONSTANT REBOOTS: DC is the WORST with this. But Marvel's OMD/BND stunt in particular had me salty for a good minute. What's the point investing (time, cash, emotions) if they're just gonna pull an "Ooops! Just kidding guys! That thing never happened!" every few years?

NEW STATUS QUO WORSE THAN OLD STATUS QUO - (See: just aboutvery X-title crossover event EVER). Or, more often than not, change-for-the-sake-of-change that ultimately results in a status quo that's not much better or worse than the previous status quo, but probably wasn't worth all the upheaval in the first place. But hey, at least Peter isn't married to MJ anymore and the Justice League have snazzy new costumes now, right?

TOO MANY TITLES - In any given month, there are no fewer than 6 Spider-Man books, 10 or more X-Men related books, 5 Avengers books, and countless Batman and Superman books ranging from decent quality to utter shit. No way that that would be intimidating to a casual reader of the street. Still, perhaps a casual reader or even a die-hard like myself would be more willing to let this abuse slide if it weren't for the ever increasing...

PRICE PER ISSUE - $3 to $5 per issue? Every month? For something that can be read and digested in 5 to 10 minutes? I think that's a dealbreaker for about 99% of the population, as current monthly comic book sales would indicate.

TITLES SHIPPING LATE - I don't know what the deal is, but almost without exception, it seems like pretty much every superstar artist in the biz is utterly incapable of cranking out 32 pages a month. This is a problem with the Big Two AND indies. It sucks waiting even 30 days for the next issue of your favorite book to resolve that cliffhanger that keeps you coming back. But having to wait months (hell, YEARS in some cases) between issues is beyond ridiculous. At some point, I got sick of waiting for that next issue of Astonishing X-Men or Chew to drop and moved on.

Props to everyone who still posts in here on a regular basis. I still lurk from time to time just to see what's poppin'. I just can't keep up anymore. I'm a little sad but not at all surprised that the COTW/COTM thread isn't doing numbers the way it used to. I kinda see it as a microcosm of the industry as a whole.

DISCLAIMER: Apologies for the length. Was not my intent to go on a long 1000 word rant when I started typing this..lol

www.twitter.com/DJJedi
675675, everything you said is why Image makes up most of my purchases now
Posted by celery77, Thu Apr-03-14 07:52 PM
although Image does have a bit of #1-itis, I still find reading those more entertaining big, lazy event or the filler issues that plague so many Big Two titles these days.

Is it weird when I say reading Image makes me miss the goofy ads in the other titles, though? It's always kinda fun pulling back issues and seeing how they date themselves with the ad pages...
675607, i'm more here these days
Posted by shockzilla, Thu Apr-03-14 07:18 AM
as i'm less and less at okp at all.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/465902903515504/
675100, Just read a *great* OGN called BAD HOUSES
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Mar-25-14 10:51 AM
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/21-331/Bad-Houses-TPB

combines small-town slice-of-life with young love, estate sales, and just a hint of early '90s nostalgia. I'm a total sucker for books where some of the protagonists are exactly my age, and the flashbacks to when they were in high school are total gold. Left me feeling sad, nostalgic, happy, unnerved, a bunch of other things. Really good read.
675176, New Avengers 16.NOW: Man *spoilers*
Posted by bshelly, Wed Mar-26-14 12:05 PM
Reed Richards is gonna kill the Justice League. What a dick.
675195, Bought my first long box today
Posted by chrisP, Wed Mar-26-14 05:39 PM
And a short box for my son (seemed appropriate).

Kept my comics in milk crates back in the 80s, magazine files more recently - thought it was time to step up. Still have enough to fill another half one but I feel like I've taken a step towards comics organization. I know my meager collection is peanuts to some of you guys but if you told the 10 year old me, who skipped school lunch and kept the 75 cents to buy comics, that I'd have that many comics someday then 10 year old me would be buggin out!

So far my wife still allows the tpb's on the living room bookshelf (under duress).
675199, Manhattan Projects 19: My bf back and you're gonna be in trouble *SPOILERS*
Posted by bshelly, Wed Mar-26-14 06:38 PM
HEY NOW HEY NOW, ALBERT'S BACK
675226, BUT THE REUNION'S GONE AWRY!!
Posted by celery77, Thu Mar-27-14 08:52 AM
(even though I pretty much surmised the tragedy last issue, it was so much tougher after watching the Battle for Oppenheimer)

good news is, Alfred's return (with the warrior Conan axe? that's not science, b!) picks us right back up.
675305, RE: BUT THE REUNION'S GONE AWRY!!
Posted by bshelly, Fri Mar-28-14 08:11 AM
i don't think we've seen the last of oppy. just a hunch.
675614, Op's coming back in plaid! & that Battle Axe was
Posted by Scarface_7, Thu Apr-03-14 08:35 AM
worth the price of the comic, yo!
675210, All-New Ghost Rider #1
Posted by buckshot defunct, Wed Mar-26-14 10:50 PM
Art was... flames.

Dialogue was... possibly even worse than that "flames" pun?

Overall world and "rebranding" of Ghost Rider felt really fresh though. It's the art that really sells it but there are some cool ideas here. Of course Ghost Rider doesn't actually appear in this issue but such is life in these decompressed times.

Solid B tho

675227, uhhh, no GHOST RIDER in GHOST RIDER??
Posted by celery77, Thu Mar-27-14 08:54 AM
pass
675234, But hear me out:
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Mar-27-14 09:36 AM
This time, he drives a car
675263, oh just tell me the car is Korean made, that'll cinch it
Posted by celery77, Thu Mar-27-14 02:11 PM
I know exactly one true Ghost Rider fan in real life, and if this car shit is true he will NOT be happt
675295, HE CAN LITERALLY GHOST-RIDE THE WHIP, SIR
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Mar-27-14 08:56 PM
All other arguments are invalid
675211, The Auteur #1
Posted by buckshot defunct, Wed Mar-26-14 11:02 PM
Could be your next Manhattan Projects in terms of batshit craziness. Tone-wise it's somewhere between Chew and Bulletproof Coffin, yet nothing like either of those things.

It's a funny, twisted commentary on art that sets out to blow your wig back and actually succeeds. I am very very glad I picked this one up. Yow.

A+
675249, I didn't love it
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Mar-27-14 11:41 AM
maybe it's that I don't love films the way I love comics or music, I dunno. But it felt like a kinda of pale Garth Ennis imitation mixed with a little Millar.

I think I gave it a C+.

I'm being the PTP resident contrarian lately...
675296, I could see it going that way
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Mar-27-14 09:00 PM
And the letter from the editor at the end that was all 'OooooOOooo this comic is daaaaaaaangerous!' left a corny taste in my mouth for sure

But overall I really dug it. The premise, the visuals... it was refreshing. I'm on a killer prose kick right now but the sequential stuff has been kinda 'blah' for me lately. This one woke me up a bit.
675228, DEADLIEST CLASS turns a bit ... well ... gruesome
Posted by celery77, Thu Mar-27-14 08:57 AM
Teenage angst makes it onto a couple of pages, but the dark heart of boy assassins rears its head here.

The art though? Dayum, Image stays just crushing the art. Colors, style, everything is worth a look.
675229, no love for Slott + Allred's SILVER SURFER #1?
Posted by celery77, Thu Mar-27-14 08:58 AM
it's all about the splash page in this one
675233, dat splash
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Mar-27-14 09:36 AM
(dat Impericon, too)

Count me in
675300, who's reading Manifest Destiny?
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Mar-27-14 10:03 PM
just picked up the ottley variant. also, anyone reading Mercenary Sea?
675303, I've been reading it -- loving it -- but I might be an issue behind
Posted by celery77, Fri Mar-28-14 12:08 AM
I picked Manifest Destiny up without much expectation at all, just figured I'd give a #1 a shot (plus I like Western expansion themes / settings). The first issue was great, sucked me right in, and each issue since has been a nice, pulpy treat. First trade should be arriving soon, definitely worth a look imo.
675306, Too much plant zombie action
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Mar-28-14 09:10 AM
that wasn't a great plot device (to me) so three issues of it was two and a half too many
675307, I dug the idea that there are competing horrors out in the wilds
Posted by celery77, Fri Mar-28-14 09:14 AM
like it's not just as simple as "THAR BE MONSTERS!" There's still something else mysterious, uncontrollable, and to be feared.

Admittedly, zombie action is played out as hell, but I appreciated the fact they touched it up a little by making it a plant-based infection.
675320, I was kind of excited about the centaurs, though
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Mar-28-14 12:23 PM
sadly they were deemed not as awesome as the kudzillas.

I wanted to like it - it's very up my alley in terms of the things I find appealing - but it's just not really doing it for me. I seem to be in the minority, however, out of people who are reading it.
675309, just started messing with Comixology, dunno if I see the appeal
Posted by celery77, Fri Mar-28-14 09:21 AM
So I can pay the exact same price I would pay at the store for a digital version of this week's comics? Doesn't make sense. There's just something to be said for being able to hold the floppy in your hands. The page is readable on the tablet screen, but something about it just feels ... off.

Although I do get the perks -- storage can be a pain and I did see that most older titles have good discounts in their store. I'll be checking for sales to see if I can get a good collection here or there that I can break into, and Image apparently has just tons of #1s for free, so I downloaded some of those I was curious about. I got some free Silver Surfer in the Marvel shop that was one of these "Intuitive" comics or something, and that was much more interesting (swipe to advance -- word bubbles are added, reading panes are advanced or revealed), so I see the draw for sure. I just don't know if I'm ever going to be copping a digital version of a comic I love (Manhattan Projects, say), ESPECIALLY if they're selling them the same price as the shop when they're new.
675323, I love it... but yeah, man
Posted by buckshot defunct, Fri Mar-28-14 01:06 PM
I got a $50 Comixology gift card for Christmas and I can't even bring myself to spend *someone else's* money on a $3.99 digital issue.

But look, the shop is always open, nothing ever sells out, and the selection is impressive. Plus you get those 99 cent sales all the time and more and more "digital exclusive" content popping up.

I mean, just LOOK AT THESE AMAZING DEALS EVERYBODY: https://www.comixology.com/Kenny-Keil/comics-creator/12923

The tablet view is too close to the 'real thing' to me and creates sort of an uncanny valley effect. I actually prefer the guided view reading experience on my phone. That's a different enough experience that I don't find myself comparing it to print.
675319, My cut back list after visiting the shop today:
Posted by phenompyrus, Fri Mar-28-14 12:22 PM
All-New X-Factor
Uncanny Avengers
The Walking Dead

And that's about it for monthlies. I've not given up on some of the other X-books, but I'm not interested in them right now. I want to like Mighty Avengers so much, but it's just not doing it for me.

I also got the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (great day when one of these drops) and the second issue finale to an old school Eastman book, Zombie War.
675577, Blew half my Comixology gift card. Whut Whut
Posted by buckshot defunct, Wed Apr-02-14 01:04 PM
Zero Volume 1
Kamen Rider Volume 1
All-New X-Men Volume 1

...and a whole lot of classic MAD Magazines they were selling for 99 cents a pop yesterday

Not sure when I'll get the time to read these things but I AM EXCITE
675630, Sheeeeit y'all weren't lying about ZERO
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Apr-03-14 11:13 AM
I was salty when I got to the end of this one only to find out it wasn't the end. Thought this one was a miniseries for some reason.

Dope stuff. A little Queen & Country, a little Manhattan Projects, and a whole lot of style. Some of the ideas reminded me of that show Alias, too. Especially the idea of these spies being groomed for the field from the time they're children. That second issue that focused on Zero as a young boy was especially great. Doesn't hurt that Tradd Moore's artwork is devastatingly awesome.

This comic lives up to the hype.
675631, Have to put this one on my list too
Posted by chrisP, Thu Apr-03-14 11:33 AM
You guys have all been talking about Zero for awhile so I figured I'd get around to the trade at some point. I'm just now deep-diving into Queen & Country so that comparison has my interest peaked. Also Tradd Moore and Jordie Bellaire seem like they'd make a really good art team-up.
675634, The artist roster rotates but they're all excellent
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Apr-03-14 12:05 PM
Moore's sticks out because his style is so clean and has a totally different tone from the rest of the art. But it makes sense within the context of the trade.

Now I gotta figure out how many issues I'm still behind on.
675672, $9.99 for the trade is such a good price, I kinda wanna buy it all again
Posted by celery77, Thu Apr-03-14 07:44 PM
All the comparisons you made are very fair, too. I think they're up to 7 now, will likely need to do a series re-read before they start the third arc.
675606, if you got manifest destiny issues, theyre selling like hot cakes
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Apr-03-14 01:19 AM
Manifest Destiny #1 1st print going for $35-40 on average. Even the 2nd print is going for $15. The ottley variant is around $60.
675618, jeeze. I'll never understand what makes a book 'hot'
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Apr-03-14 09:41 AM
I've got 'em, don't love 'em, might have to look into this if I can find the time.
675620, Anybody else going to check for the new Dark Horse AVP universe books?
Posted by phenompyrus, Thu Apr-03-14 10:18 AM
They are doing a shared universe update for Prometheus, Alien, Predator, and Aliens vs. Predator. Sounds intriguing.

http://www.newsarama.com/20731-dhc-s-allie-unleashes-details-scope-of-prometheus-aliens-predator-line.html
675673, I *love* Prometheus, buuuut ... I dunno if I love it that much
Posted by celery77, Thu Apr-03-14 07:46 PM
Prolly doesn't help that my main exposure to AVP is the terrible movie and the occasional terrible video games they spawned. But yeah, I love Prometheus too much to risk having a comic come and cheapen it all for me.
675699, The AVP comics are MUCH better than the movies.
Posted by phenompyrus, Fri Apr-04-14 09:52 AM
This could work, at least enough to check out the first issues to see what they have in store.
675621, I don't like he art much, but the new Magneto series is dope.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Apr-03-14 10:20 AM
His powers are still fucked, and he's still scary.
675696, who else is current on Massive? the end of that last arc... (spoilers)
Posted by celery77, Fri Apr-04-14 09:09 AM
I dunno, just ... I dunno ... so we go through all this with the Ninth Wave just so we can have a post-apocalyptic X-Files style adventure? There's a mystery! There's a clue! And there's one person with a shadowy past who might know something! TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!

I honestly felt like I got the rug pulled out from right underneath me and suddenly I was reading a whole new, much, much dumber book. I understand these are likely the stark realities of having to tell a story like this over a length of issues, but jeez -- everything I like about this series seemingly discarded just to serve a stupid plot.

Will I keep reading? Ehhh, I guess I kinda have to, but my finger is hovering over the eject button right now. Just show me a man in a dark room with smoke curling under the light ... what a totally dumb "twist" to throw into what's been one of my favorite series.
675704, Hell no, I bailed after #1
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Apr-04-14 12:33 PM
675756, no snark -- I have yet to get a firm grasp on your taste
Posted by celery77, Sat Apr-05-14 12:48 PM
I know you look outside capes + tights, and that's great -- the side titles are the ones you really need word of mouth to get on board with -- but there's a few hot indies you don't go for that I don't understand (Massive + Manifest Destiny being the two most recent examples).

I don't think I ever talked about it here, because I just borrowed the trades from a friend recently, but how did you feel about Locke + Key?
675924, I also haven't loved Deadly Class, which seems to be getting love
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Apr-07-14 11:35 AM
all over the place.

I dunno if I have a 'taste' in particular. I know I don't always love things I expect to or that other people expect me to. I get the same thing in music sometimes, where people think because I love X, I should love Y, but it doesn't always work out like that.

In general I think I want to be entertained, occasionally scared, occasionally shocked, but not annoyed; and I like everything to remain fairly tight (as much as I loved Trillium, I was annoyed when it just... ended. With no explanation of the duality that seemed to be a major focus of the first several issues. And I was one of the guys who thought True Detective would have been better if the finale had managed to at least figure out the bad guy's place in the Yellow Kingdom.)

I only read (what I think was) the first Locke & Key trad and thought it was pretty great. Keep meaning to get caught up on it via the ILL but haven't made it happen yet.
675700, Halfway through All-New X-Men Vol. 1
Posted by buckshot defunct, Fri Apr-04-14 10:53 AM
Ahhh, there's something about picking up an X-Men comic that feels like going home again. (In that it probably only happens every 3 years and lasts no longer than a week) But it can be a lot of fun, too. So far, this is fun. The premise is just the right kind of ridiculous, Cyclops is a diiiiiiiiick – Seriously, that "X" thing he does with his arms in #1? Funniest comic book moment of the decade.

Immomen's art and those classic X-Men costumes are a joy to look at, and I'm digging the light commentary inherent in a story in which the original X-Men must confront what they later become. The Bendis factor has me a little worried but so far so good. I'm trying not to think too hard about it.
675748, welp, that didn't amount to much
Posted by buckshot defunct, Sat Apr-05-14 10:23 AM
Decompressed storytelling still manages to surprise me sometimes. I felt like I had at least 1 more chapter yet when I got to the end of this one. The idea of Jean seeing what was in store for her and just being like, mmmmNOPE was a good twist. But it was also kinda like the book's way of saying "Oh yeah so this is just another regular X-book now"... Not what I was hoping for.

But hey, it was still a pretty good read while it lasted. The art was fantastic. I thought Bendis did a great job of getting all up in Cyclops's neuroses. I guess his stint on Daredevil back in the day probably helped in nailing that delusional, emo, self-hating tone. Now just imagine that Matt Murdock had *laser eyes* and you begin to understand just what a hot mess Scott Summers is in this book.

All in all not bad for a $3.99 deal on Comixology. When I got to the end I considered picking up Volume 2, but it was $19.99. Naw, bruh. Miss me with that.

675757, if they made an X-Men wrestling video game, I would buy it
Posted by celery77, Sat Apr-05-14 12:49 PM
>Seriously, that "X" thing he does with his arms in #1?
>Funniest comic book moment of the decade.

Blob going top rope? 500k copies sold guaranteed.
676099, HOW HAS THIS NOT HAPPENED YET?
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Apr-08-14 10:27 AM
The Venn Diagram of comic fans and wrestling fans is like... an oval. Someone's dropping the ball, and hard.
676187, I'd spend whole matches just doing clotheslines with Colossus
Posted by celery77, Tue Apr-08-14 09:16 PM
I mean, that would be SO COLD
675725, PrepTimePosse Revival
Posted by Melanism, Fri Apr-04-14 05:55 PM
Anyone interested in reviving the Prep Time Posse as a Tumblr?
675735, Raises hand
Posted by Brother_Afron, Fri Apr-04-14 10:01 PM
>Anyone interested in reviving the Prep Time Posse as a
>Tumblr?
675747, heyooooll yea
Posted by buckshot defunct, Sat Apr-05-14 10:13 AM

675755, I keep meaning to get slick with page screengrabs
Posted by celery77, Sat Apr-05-14 12:45 PM
is that the sort of thing we're talking about?

Also, maybe buckshot would know this -- is it possible to screengrab stuff out of Comixology? Or will I have to look to "other" supplies of digital comics to be able to get sleek digital copies of artwork?
675795, Pretty sure I've screen capped stuff out of Comixology before
Posted by buckshot defunct, Sun Apr-06-14 10:49 AM

676017, Yes yea yes
Posted by bshelly, Mon Apr-07-14 07:05 PM
676169, Fuck it. I'm down.
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Apr-08-14 05:38 PM
Haven't been in these posts for a while. But I can do it.
675728, Comics Shipping NEXT week... April 9, 2014 Advance List
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Apr-04-14 07:22 PM
Upcoming Releases For 4/9/2014

Every week, PREVIEWSworld announces which comics, graphic novels, toys and other pop-culture merchandise will arrive at your local comic shop. The products will be on sale in comic shops on the indicated date. This list is tentative and subject to change. Please check with your retailer for availability.

PREMIER PUBLISHERS

DARK HORSE COMICS

DEC130115 BPRD HELL ON EARTH TP VOL 08 $19.99
FEB140077 CREEPY COMICS #16 $3.99
OCT130082 GAME OF THRONES WEIRWOOD SNOW GLOBE $99.99
NOV130076 ITTY BITTY ABE SAPIEN PLUSH $14.99
NOV130075 ITTY BITTY HELLBOY PLUSH $14.99
DEC130140 MEGATOKYO OMNIBUS TP $19.99
FEB140061 STAR WARS #16 2013 ONGOING $2.99
DEC130105 TREKKER TRAIN TO AVALON BAY TP $9.99
FEB140021 X #12 (MR) $2.99

DC COMICS

JAN140371 100 BULLETS BROTHER LONO TP (MR) $16.99
FEB140283 ASTRO CITY #11 $3.99
JAN140374 ASTRO CITY SHINING STARS TP $16.99
DEC130338 ASTRO CITY THROUGH OPEN DOORS HC $24.99
FEB140213 BATGIRL #30 $2.99
FEB140140 BATMAN ETERNAL #1 $2.99
FEB140284 COFFIN HILL #7 (MR) $2.99
FEB140168 CONSTANTINE #13 $2.99
DEC130299 EARTH 2 HC VOL 03 BATTLE CRY (N52) $22.99
JAN140344 EARTH 2 TP VOL 02 THE TOWER OF FATE (N52) $16.99
FEB140290 FBP FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS #9 (MR) $2.99
FEB140223 GREEN LANTERN CORPS #30 $2.99
JAN140383 JONAH HEX SHADOWS WEST TP (MR) $24.99
FEB140169 JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 #5 $2.99
FEB140294 ROYALS MASTERS OF WAR #3 (MR) $2.99
FEB140274 SCOOBY DOO WHERE ARE YOU #44 $2.99
FEB140193 SUPERBOY #30 $2.99
FEB140186 SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #7 (DOOMED) $3.99
FEB140188 SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #7 COMBO PACK (DOOMED) $4.99
FEB140177 WORLDS FINEST #22 $2.99

IDW PUBLISHING

FEB140457 DEADWORLD RESTORATION #5 $3.99
JAN140007 FCBD 2014 TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE PI
JAN140040 FCBD 2014 V-WARS (MR) PI
FEB140342 GI JOE AMERICAS ELITE DISAVOWED TP VOL 03 $19.99
FEB140466 INDESTRUCTIBLE #5 $3.99
FEB140426 JUDGE DREDD #18 $3.99
FEB140428 JUDGE DREDD MEGA CITY TWO #4 $3.99
FEB140432 MAXX MAXXIMIZED #6 $3.99
FEB140408 MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDS FOREVER #4 $3.99
FEB140389 POWERPUFF GIRLS #8 $3.99
FEB140399 ROCKY & BULLWINKLE #2 $3.99
FEB140392 SAMURAI JACK #7 $3.99
FEB140386 TMNT ANNUAL 2014 $7.99
FEB140381 TMNT COLOR CLASSICS SERIES 2 #6 $3.99
JAN140434 TRIPLE HELIX TP $17.99
FEB140375 WRAITH WELCOME TO CHRISTMASLAND #6 $3.99

IMAGE COMICS

SEP130518 ART OF MILLARWORLD HC $39.99
SEP130519 ART OF MILLARWORLD LTD SIGNED & NUMBERED ED HC $99.99
JAN140585 EAST OF WEST #11 $3.50
DEC130494 EAST OF WEST TP VOL 02 WE ARE ALL ONE $14.99
JAN140592 GREAT PACIFIC #14 CVR A MORAZZO (MR) $2.99
JAN140593 GREAT PACIFIC #14 CVR B POLLINA (MR) $2.99
JAN140594 INVINCIBLE #110 $2.99
JAN148384 MANIFEST DESTINY #5 2ND PTG $2.99
FEB140609 MANIFEST DESTINY #6 $2.99
JAN140608 PETER PANZERFAUST #18 $3.50
FEB140554 RAT QUEENS HANNAH T/S LG MEN $19.99
FEB140559 RAT QUEENS HANNAH T/S LG WOMEN $19.99
FEB140553 RAT QUEENS HANNAH T/S MED MEN $19.99
FEB140558 RAT QUEENS HANNAH T/S MED WOMEN $19.99
FEB140552 RAT QUEENS HANNAH T/S SM MEN $19.99
FEB140557 RAT QUEENS HANNAH T/S SM WOMEN $19.99
FEB140555 RAT QUEENS HANNAH T/S XL MEN $19.99
FEB140560 RAT QUEENS HANNAH T/S XL WOMEN $19.99
FEB140556 RAT QUEENS HANNAH T/S XXL MEN $22.99
SEP130636 SAVAGE DRAGON #194 (MR) $3.99
FEB140516 SHOTGUN WEDDING #2 (MR) $3.99
FEB140488 SHUTTER #1 CVR A DEL DUCA (MR) $3.50
FEB140489 SHUTTER #1 CVR B WEAVER (MR) $3.50
FEB140490 SHUTTER #1 CVR C GRAHAM (MR) $3.50
FEB140491 SHUTTER #1 CVR D RIOS (MR) $3.50
FEB140631 SPAWN #242 $2.99
FEB140534 THREE TP (MR) $14.99
FEB140644 WALKING DEAD #125 (MR) $2.99

MARVEL COMICS

FEB140700 ALL NEW DOOP #1 ANMN $3.99
FEB140867 ALL NEW DOOP #1 BY ALLRED POSTER $8.99
FEB140751 ALL NEW GHOST RIDER #2 ANMN $3.99
FEB140776 ALL NEW ULTIMATES #1 $3.99
FEB140816 ALL NEW X-FACTOR #6 $3.99
FEB140817 ALL NEW X-MEN #25 $4.99
FEB140866 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 75TH ANNIV BY ROSS POSTER $8.99
FEB140865 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 BY RAMOS POSTER $8.99
JAN140806 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 PRELUDE TP $14.99
FEB140789 AVENGERS AI #11 $2.99
JAN140797 AVENGERS TP VOL 02 LAST WHITE EVENT $19.99
FEB140712 AVENGERS UNDERCOVER #2 ANMN $2.99
JAN140787 CAPTAIN AMERICA PREM HC VOL 03 LOOSE NUKE $24.99
FEB140725 CAPTAIN MARVEL #2 ANMN $3.99
FEB140702 DAREDEVIL #1.50 $4.99
JAN140810 DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID TP VOL 05 $16.99
JAN140809 DAREDEVIL EPIC COLLECTION TP FALL FROM GRACE $44.99
FEB140735 DEADPOOL #27 ANMN $9.99
NOV130709 INFINITY COMPANION HC $99.99
FEB140673 IRON FIST LIVING WEAPON #1 ANMN $3.99
FEB140709 IRON MAN #24 ANMN $3.99
NOV130702 KICK-*spoon* 3 #7 (MR) $3.99
FEB140864 MARVEL 75TH ANNIV BY DEODATO OVERSIZED POSTER $34.99
FEB140804 MARVEL UNIVERSE AVENGERS ASSEMBLE #7 SYU $2.99
DEC130767 MARVEL UNIVERSE HULK AGENTS OF SMASH DIGEST TP $9.99
FEB140782 MIGHTY AVENGERS #9 $3.99
FEB140691 NIGHTCRAWLER #1 $3.99
FEB140718 SECRET AVENGERS #2 ANMN $3.99
JAN140765 SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN #11 $3.99
FEB140800 THUNDERBOLTS #24 $2.99
FEB140761 WHAT IF AGE OF ULTRON #2 $3.99
675926, April comics club @ the library
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Apr-07-14 11:43 AM
assignment was to choose a sci-fi or fantasy book.

Librarian brought an adaptation of a Percy Jackson book, didn't sound like she loved it but that's not surprising. I thought it was an odd choice.

Two girls brought 'Rapunzel's Revenge.' Will have to note that for my daughter when she's a bit older.

One kid brought a Big Nate book. Way off-topic.

Another brought Bone Tall Tales, but he talked more about somehting else I can't remember. His mom brought a collection of Hindu tales I believe by this guy: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/25/AR2011022506814.html - pretty cool.

Another mother (also Indian) wanted to discuss the new Morrison piece 'The Key'. I haven't read it yet but here yez go http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26730067

My boy brought a Mouse Guard trade, girl brought a Korgi book, and I took Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade (and wound up loaning it out to another family).

We're going to try to all read the same book for next month, which will be interesting.
676060, Supergirl
Posted by chrisP, Tue Apr-08-14 12:40 AM
Sounds fun - might see if they have something similar around here. I was recommended that Supergirl book by my LCS guy when I was picking up issues of Supes Family Adv. How do you guys like it? My boy doesn't seem to mind stories starring girls, he's really into Zita the Space Girl series. Also thought my niece (also 7 y.o.) could get into it. Only thing that's held me off is there's a big difference between 7 year olds and 8th graders.
676125, should be fine for 7 year olds
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Apr-08-14 12:53 PM
I read it a ways back with my kids, and my daughter is 7 now. And yes, it involves super animals, giant robots, body armor, and things getting smashed - so the boys should be OK with it too. I personally was surprised at how great it was.

Just realized when I googled him that the author was the guy behind Danger Club, which was also awesome. THough not kid-friendly at all. Huh.
676126, Shotgun Wedding #1 was a ton of fun in the sun
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Apr-08-14 12:55 PM
y'know I'm a sucker for B&W crime comics at this point and this one was extra special. Bit of a Rashomon twist to it in some ways. It's like Runaway Bride meets the Mission Impossible movies.

Well. I never saw Runaway Bride, and I only saw the first MI movie. But who knows. Either way, there's some question as to who was jilted and why, and definite question as to how it might play out for the aggrieved parties.

solid A, I think
676184, ^^^ wrong place! Shotgun Wedding #1 is, unsurprisingly, NSFK
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Apr-08-14 08:28 PM
676061, Flash Gordon
Posted by chrisP, Tue Apr-08-14 12:44 AM
I'm getting excited about this book - Silver Surfer got me in the mood for some more fun, interglactic space adventure stuff. I felt the same way about Kings Watch before it came out but I wound up dropping it after the second issue - wasn't doin' it for me. Flash just seems like it has a bit more "fun" potential and that's the stuff I seem to be into these days. And my kid is way into the Flash Gordon Queen soundtrack, so there's that! Anybody else have this on their list?
676102, MIND MGMT----> I SLEPT.
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Apr-08-14 10:52 AM
What's crazy is that I read the first issue of this and it didn't grab me. Clearly that was the work of MKUltra – SOMEone didn't want me reading this book! Because this shit is soooo up my alley it's not even funny.

Kindt is in that zone I aspire towards where he seems to get optimum mileage from a super efficient art style. The work is beautiful, the coloring especially, but from what I understand about his process, this dude can work quick. I feel that urgency in the pages, too. It's like there's a minimal amount of "process" happening between him thinking the idea and me reading it. Shit's electric.

And the story is an all-you-can-eat buffet for conspiracy theorists and lovers of weird shit. When they got to the talking dolphin agents I was just like, okay, this is my favorite thing ever right now. I loved all the little short segments that focused on specific agents. Sometimes stories like this sag under the weight of their own premise, where you get so many questions thrown at you that you stop caring altogether. This isn't that, though. "Answers" are revealed at a generous pace and there's enough other stuff going on to keep you satisfied along the way. I didn't expect to meet Lyme so quickly, or for him to be so forthcoming – And yet, there's clearly a lot of shit about him I still don't know.

I'm all in. A+

676171, The Posse's opinion on Cap 2: Winter Soldier flick?
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Apr-08-14 05:44 PM
Though I don't chime in nearly as often as I used to, it's still true that the only opinion I care about regarding comic book movies is the Posse's opinion? So, anyone else see it?

FWIW, I think it was the best comic book movie since the second Batman flick. Which would make it the best Marvel movie. Yep, better than the Avengers and the first Iron Man.

Thoughts?