Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCOTM: Black PEYTON Mystery Month
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=671762
671762, COTM: Black PEYTON Mystery Month
Posted by Uatu The Watcher, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
GREETINGS, HUMAN.
APPARENTLY ME, UATU AKA BALDHEAD SLICK AKA CHEESESTEAK SHUFFLE AKA BOSS HOG OUTLAW IS ABOUT TO SLEEP WITH THE FISHES.
YOU TOOK IT TOO FAR, EVIL REED.
DAYTIME INJURY LAWYER COMMERCIALS.
SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEAW! SEAHAWKS.
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! BRONCOS.
CHIEF KEEF >>>>>>>>> DOCTOR DOOM
UNITED IN ORANGE.
YELL AT CLOUDS.
WATCH, SUSAN RICHARDS UNDRESS.
NO PERV-O!
UATU DA GOD.
LOVE SOSA!

Poll question: COTM: Black PEYTON Mystery Month

Poll result (1 votes)
PEYTON MANNING (0 votes)Vote
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (1 votes)Vote
RED LANTERNS (0 votes)Vote
ROWDY RODDY PIPER (0 votes)Vote
SNOW 4 DAYZ!!! (0 votes)Vote
DISCO TANGO CHARLIE (0 votes)Vote

671763, SO WAIT, SHIAR WANT TO PUT OG JEAN GREY ON TRIAL 4...
Posted by Uatu The Watcher, Sun Feb-02-14 03:01 PM
....CRIMEZ SHE IS YET TO COMMIT?!
SHIAR, STAY SHAKE 'N BAKE.
LOVE SOSA.
671838, nm
Posted by dagu, Mon Feb-03-14 02:37 PM
671766, Current PULL-LIST...
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Feb-02-14 03:20 PM
Only Copping:

Invincible
Captain America
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny Xmen
All-New Xmen
Amazing Xmen
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers
Zero
Daredevil
Xmen
Batman
Red Lanterns
American Vampire: Second Cycle
Wolverine
Winter Soldier: The Bitter March

YOURS?
671795, RE: Current PULL-LIST...
Posted by KneelB4Me, Sun Feb-02-14 10:23 PM
Amazing X-Men
All-New X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Wolverine & X-Men
Batman
Captain America
Uncanny Avengers
Avengers
New Avengers
Daredevil
Hawkguy
Justice League
Fatale
Sex
Sex Criminals
The Bounce
Superior Spider-Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
Saga
TMNT

And probably a lot more than I can remember right now. Yes, I spend too much money on comics.

"I halfway hope people put "btw, rappers lie and shit" on CD covers, like a parental advisory sticker." - OKP Villain

www.twitter.com/lexlamont
672061, Mine, with general thoughts
Posted by Marbles, Thu Feb-06-14 03:45 PM

Uncanny X-Men - solid
Amazing X-Men - off to a good start
All-New X-Men - better than I expected
Wolverine & the X-Men - meh...I hope the restart improves it
X-Men - not bad so far
Avengers - very solid
New Avengers - seems like they're stringing this story along to far
Avengers Assemble - not bad
Avengers World - brand new but we'll see
Mighty Avengers - OK so far...I have high hopes for it
Secret Avengers - this could be & should be better
Uncanny Avengers - good lord, when will this story end?
Hawkeye - consistently dope
Iron Man - this has been pretty solid
Capt. America - much better than I expected
Guardians of the Galaxy - pretty good

Earth 2 - maybe the best cape book out right now
World's Finest - this book has great
Justice League - not bad but missing something
Justice League America - same as above
Teen Titans - this book was bad. It's probably good it's ending
Pandora - better than I expected
Phantom Stranger - not bad but it's losing me
Flash - very solid

671830, Ok
Posted by bshelly, Mon Feb-03-14 12:36 PM
East of West
Manhattan Projects
God is Dead
Avengers
New Avengers
Avengers World
Miracleman
Thor: God of Thunder
Walking Dead
100 Bullets: Brother Lono
Fatale
Secret (when it actually comes up)

debating whether to pick up Wonder Woman again, but that's about it.
671839, RE: Current PULL-LIST...
Posted by dagu, Mon Feb-03-14 02:38 PM
Superior Spider-Man
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Avengers
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
Secret Avengers
All-New Invaders (I guess. I have the first one but still haven't read it yet)
Captain America
Daredevil
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain Marvel
Trillium
Pretty Deadly

Seeing all that written out is a little disconcerting.

Back to my lurking hole...
671902, MINE
Posted by Scarface_7, Tue Feb-04-14 10:19 AM
SAGA
East of West
Superior Spiderman
MANHATTAN PROJECTS
Miles Morales Spiderman
UXMen
POWERS
The Walking Dead
Invincible
Elephantmen
KickAss3
Secret Service
CHEW
672242, And NEW AVENGERS...
Posted by JRennolds, Mon Feb-10-14 11:12 AM
'Cause like BLACK PRIESTS are killing ALTERNATE EARTH VENGERS on the real.
671771, UATU, LOVES SOSA. RARRIS AND ROVERS.
Posted by Uatu The Watcher, Sun Feb-02-14 03:38 PM
http://www.vice.com/noisey-vbs/chiraq-welcome-to-chiraq-vice
671854, I think I'm gonna fux with this Allred/Slott Silver Surfer
Posted by buckshot defunct, Mon Feb-03-14 05:47 PM
Slott is not the first guy that'd come to mind if I were to dream up a good Silver Surfer creative team, but you never know until you try.

The fact that All-New Ghost Rider is driving a muscle car now has me intrigued as well. What can I say I'm just a high-minded literary dude like that
671900, it's the surfer. of course i'm going to cop
Posted by bshelly, Tue Feb-04-14 09:10 AM
i still have dreams that surfer and galactus are going to end up on the team in hickman's avengers.
672378, Eye too shall cop. Batman Eternal as well.
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Feb-12-14 09:26 AM
THE BATMAN is piff again.
671891, Hawkeye #16 = my jam
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Feb-04-14 01:38 AM
Rockford Files meets Brian Wilson's Smile? Didn't see that coming. I dig detective stories, 60s rock mythology, and general LA weirdness on their own, but the way it all came together for this comic was really something cool.
672024, copped three bridge books from Hickman this week
Posted by bshelly, Thu Feb-06-14 11:22 AM
New Avengers: once we get the whole story, i think this issue will be really cool. it furthers the character development, makes the desperation of the Illuminati evident. like, Reed is seeing himself get yerked time and time again, that's gotta weigh on a playa. Plus, yo, I need HICKGOD to write a Stephen Strange ongoing, because he's like the only person to get that Doc Strange can go places no one else can. But really, this book was kind of slow and repetitive, cept for the Strange parts. Repetitive with a purpose, but still.

God is Dead: Whatever. HICKGOD just wanted to write a stupid book with god fights. I ain't mad.

Secret: Is Secret back on a regular schedule? Because that means happy bshelly. Another set-up issue, but, man, you can tell it's going DOWN, JACK!!
672475, I honestly thought Secret was MIA, I was happy to see it return
Posted by celery77, Fri Feb-14-14 09:39 AM
>Secret: Is Secret back on a regular schedule? Because that
>means happy bshelly. Another set-up issue, but, man, you can
>tell it's going DOWN, JACK!!

they could cancel all comics besides spy and sci-fi comics and I wouldn't really complain.
672058, Ms Marvel #1
Posted by chrisP, Thu Feb-06-14 03:35 PM
Got to the shop for the first time in awhile yesterday and grabbed this more out of curiosity than anything. I really loved it, everything about it was bowling straight up my lane - story was laidback, dialogue felt natural, art's probably not for everybody but definitely for me (especially color art). More than anything though I loved all the little funny details Alphona throws into the background, just made the world feel like such an interesting place to hang around in. And he draws such great, naturalistic facial expressions merged with his kinda cartoony style - reminds me of Skottie Young in that way.

A+ for me, will be back for this next month.
672065, Welp, looks like the "Preacher" adaptation is a go at AMC
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Feb-06-14 04:55 PM
I'm still Debbie Downer-ing it because I think it's going to get unbelievably watered-down, but huzzah for Rogen, Goldberg, and Ennis for the fat check he's about to get.
672101, Just passed 48 hours with no power
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Feb-07-14 07:50 AM
Getting a little chilly in here!
672179, Now well past 72, and almost out of firewood
Posted by lonesome_d, Sat Feb-08-14 09:51 AM
Main thermostat says 49; attic says 36!
672220, RE: Now well past 72, and almost out of firewood
Posted by chrisP, Mon Feb-10-14 02:48 AM
Oh man! Hope you and the fam are okay - that sounds rough. Thinking thoughts of warmth for you. We were worried about that happening here in Portland with our minor ice storm this weekend but so far so good.
672277, Came back on Sat. night - 84 hours all told
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Feb-10-14 02:44 PM
Of course it would come back on right after I spent 90 minutes hauling firewood through 10 inches of frozen snow at my parents' house to replenish my supply. But yeah, very nice to have heat other than just the fireplace.

Overall the experience reminded me a lot of my time in Japan - three winters in an uninsulated house with only a kerosene heater in one room, in a place that gets a minimum 6' snowpack every winter. I made it through fine, but then again I was 25 and now I'm in my 40s.
672255, *Will never forget that damp Philly cold
Posted by JRennolds, Mon Feb-10-14 12:31 PM
Fuck dat shit.
Yay blizzards and 300+ days a year of sunshine.
♥♥♥♥

ееее♡♡♡♡♥♥♥
XD
:-C
672467, Young 'Clops goin' solo on dat ass! (link)
Posted by KneelB4Me, Fri Feb-14-14 01:36 AM
Written by Rucka. I'm in (as if I wasn't already).

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50848

"I halfway hope people put "btw, rappers lie and shit" on CD covers, like a parental advisory sticker." - OKP Villain

www.twitter.com/lexlamont
672476, I picked up JL America around #8 and I've really been enjoying it
Posted by celery77, Fri Feb-14-14 09:42 AM
recent arc (by Matt Kindt, the ones I've been reading) has been a pretty enjoyable dreamscape / crazy character exploration of Martian Manhunter and Stargirl, with the rest of the League out of the picture for the most part. if that sounds good to you, then yeah it's just as good as it sounds. art in the Justice League books is good, fun superhero stuff, too, which I never really mind. don't sleep, DC actually has a cool teamup book out there...
672555, I know they just got off Infinity, but Avengers feels slow
Posted by bshelly, Sat Feb-15-14 11:12 AM
672766, $94 bill at the shop today
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Feb-18-14 02:52 PM
hadn't been in a month*, so spent a while going through the lists of old weeks and noting everything I had to pick off the wall. Lot of stuff I'm excited to read. Gimme a hot bath, a mug of hot tea, a cold beer to follow it, and the rest of the family asleep.

That also included about $30 of books for my boy - still using comics as the incentive for him not to ADHD out in class.

*For those of you not in the mid-Atlantic, it's been insane. Even since the power outage two weeks back, we've had three more snow days and today was a delayed opening. Shoveling three inches like we got this morning wouldn't normally be a problem, but there are 3 feet high mounds on either side of the driveway already and any new snow has to go up & over. My wife is now convinced she's going to build a snowplow to fit on the back of her minivan so she can back out of the driveway and plow it.
And every time it snows, I have to shovel my folks' rental place's flat roof, and if there's going to be any meltage we also haev to make sure all the gutters and downspoints are clear for the angled roof parts (it's an old building with the architecturally integrated gutters & drains), so if water builds up in them there's only one place it can go... into the house.) I'm fucking sick of it, to be honest.
672831, Wake me up when Sandman #2 comes out
Posted by Invisiblist, Wed Feb-19-14 08:48 AM
672880, I've actually greatly enjoyed Superior Spiderman but am Really
Posted by Scarface_7, Wed Feb-19-14 01:59 PM
hoping the resolution and the switch back to peter isnt as imminent as it feels. All this buildup feels like this story will be over 3 issues from now.

Sidenote: really enjoyed Osborn and Otto's man to man talk. No one does psycho better than osborn....
672909, Ales Kot's ZERO trade is out for $9.99, no more excuses
Posted by celery77, Wed Feb-19-14 09:01 PM
if you haven't read it, fix it. the book is out and it's a good price for five issues collected. once your done, issue #6 is right around the corner. great jumping on point, no more excuses.
672943, Just got & read #5
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Feb-20-14 10:18 AM
took a minute to get my bearings... do we know who the kid with the gun to his head is?

Didn't expect that last splash, either - sudden sci-fi twist in what had been a pretty straight espionage story to that point.

But yeah, great book... looking forward to having the bigger picture instead of a bunch of smaller pictures.
672944, oh yeah, I read Winter Soldier #1 -- does that pass for 'good' @ Marvel?
Posted by celery77, Thu Feb-20-14 10:20 AM
I didn't even particularly like the art, the story was as bland as can be. I'm thinking Cold War, espionage, some nice stylization seems like the sort of thing I can buy into, then it's just a quick and dirty action piece with totally bland art.

I dunno what it is about Marvel, but every time I decide to make a plunge on one of their books it ends up just boring me. I mean, even a total bomb of a Green Lantern issue -- rushed art, pock-marked story, C-movie dialogue -- can be more entertaining than some of the corporate blandness of Marvel. Waidevil stays killing it and I've enjoyed the irreverence of Fraction's FF, but those are probably the last two Marvel titles that interested me in a LOOOOONG time...
672978, Saga #18 was as charming as ever
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Feb-20-14 04:00 PM
BKV just seems to have the knack of walking the line between corny and awesome perfectly... I've decided that this is the comics equivalent of a good chick flick (by good meaning that male audiences will appreciate it alongside, or even without, their female counterparts).

Loved seeing Robot IV go '80s Robot on us.
672979, little pissed FATALE will be ending at #24
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Feb-20-14 04:03 PM
there's so much more story in this one. Last arc should be a doozy, though.

This past issue, #19 I think? Quite good. Seeing the way Jo fucks dudes up for life, even/especially when she's not trying, is a bit distressing, and certainly the treatment she gave Lance, and maybe Nic's pops... ugh. The pops thing opens up another can of worms though - we know Nic's pop was best friends with the 'uncle' author who was an early paramour of Jo's, so... the author broke free of her spell somehow? I hope they go back to tie that together.
672980, Unwritten Apocalypse #1
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Feb-20-14 04:06 PM
Not sure why they needed a new series for that, after the unexpectedly sudden ending of the Fables crossover.

Seems like Carey's trying to get back some of that magic from the UNwritten early days, as Tom takes a trip through a bunch of familiar classics including Narnia and the old garden world of Mr. Bun. FOr better or worse, it feels like an intentional 'we know the book was better back then, so we'll rehash what made it so good' trick of sorts. Considering how well the main storyline ended with 'The War of Words' (where unwritten should have ended, really), I'm confident Carey will cook up a doozy for the big finish, but this one didn't exactly get me super-excited.
673033, look, I can admit it -- I'm in love with ALEX + ADA
Posted by celery77, Fri Feb-21-14 09:46 AM
yes, nominally it's a book about a guy falling in love with a sex robot. that is true. but what you might not realize about ALEX + ADA is that it really is so much more! it has a very clever layer of social anxiety around future tech, at times showing how different people feel about neural internet enhancements. it has a careful, loving tone with the lead Alex, who is just as trepidatious as we are about this whole robot love thing. the way he ends up melting on that is interesting, though. and the theme of AIs gone rogue / AI sentience is timeless in sci-fi for a reason, and it's very well done here.

the art is also very clean, almost like an engineering drawing, and it serves the theme of the book very well and allows for some nice little subtle emotional cues in the characters without the need for dialog to explain it. it's just really, surprisingly good. I liked the first issue, wasn't sure how they'd sustain it, just finished issue #4 and I'm more excited for #5 than I have been for any issue in the series yet. if your curious, be open-minded, give the sex robot love story a chance!
673040, hadn't even heard of it
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Feb-21-14 12:01 PM
673246, cant wait for # 5. agree with everything u wrote! Its Hot! n/m
Posted by Scarface_7, Mon Feb-24-14 01:18 PM
673041, Bad-Ass #1
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Feb-21-14 12:02 PM
seems to be a rehash of sorts of the writer's Luther Strode stuff... pimply, picked on kid becomes unstoppable killing machine.

Entertaining enough, but didn't love it.
673042, The Bunker #1
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Feb-21-14 12:05 PM
I'm still not sold on Fialkov but decided to give a few books a try here. This one's kinda promising... different twist on the 'message from future self in order to save the world' theme, and also on the 'sometimes you have to do a bad thing which is the right thing' theme. Interesting mixup. Great value, double-length book, and I'll pick up #2 to see where it goes from here.
673043, Skyman #1
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Feb-21-14 12:07 PM
this is the other Fialkov book I gave a shot. Not very good... I hadn't realized it's building on an established universe (Captain Midnight). Again, not bad, but certainly not a standout in any way at all from a stack of 20 books and nowhere near as good as The Bunker #1.
673501, Battling Boy!
Posted by chrisP, Thu Feb-27-14 03:07 PM
Whoah this was great! It's not every book that I go back and slowly absorb every page after reading, so much to take in and it's so fast paced that it's hard to get it all on first view. Pope is a beast of an artist, gonna check out more of his stuff. Sounds like this will be a series, with the next book focusing on Aurora West.

Thanks (I think) lonsome_d for the recommendation on this one - I decided to hold off reading this to my boy until he's a little older (going on 7 now), did you share with the kids? I think he'd be okay with everything but he's been going through a scaredy phase and knew the bad guys would inspire some wide-eyed bedtimes.
673504, Very glad you liked it
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Feb-27-14 04:05 PM
and yeah, while I haven't read too too much by him, Pope is great - if you can find it, his issue of SOLO (a DC title from a few years back where great artists got free reign in the DCU, also recommend the Darwyn Cooke and Allred issues) is worth checking out. And his Adam Strange strip from Wednesday Comics...

As for the book, yeah, I thought it was great, The library had it in the kids' section (I think they've moved it to YA since). I had some reservations but gave it to my 9 y.o. to read.. surprisingly, he didn't comment on it much to me so I didn't push the issue. He did say he read it, though. He's clearly more excited by the couple back issues of Mega Man I just got him though.