Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectDawn of the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves, 2014)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=668693
668693, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves, 2014)
Posted by phenompyrus, Mon Jul-14-14 08:48 AM
Rise was a good movie (and nice surprise), and if this teaser is any indication, this will be too.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/18/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-trailer?abthid=52b1b8f939e0fd8a7c000012

668694, Bomback gives me pause but I like the Goldman/Clarke tandem
Posted by jigga, Wed Dec-18-13 10:44 AM
>Rise was a good movie (and nice surprise)

Yep. Very unexpected.

, and if this teaser
>is any indication, this will be too.

I hope so. Didn't know they were only bringing Serkis back from the last one but I'm willing to give Reeves & them a shot too.
668697, Oldman/Clarke is a big step up, cast-wise.
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Dec-18-13 11:15 AM
The humans were the worst part of "Rise". Looking forward to this one.
668713, yeah...Franco and Pinto were wooden dolls
Posted by will_5198, Wed Dec-18-13 02:07 PM
and their "love story" was a complete waste.
668702, This seems interesting. Rise was SO good, tho.
Posted by spades, Wed Dec-18-13 12:09 PM
It's hard to imagine Dawn can keep up that standard.
668712, thet CGI!!! godamm--
Posted by bloocollar, Wed Dec-18-13 01:46 PM
WETA is no joke
668720, you can still tell its cg
Posted by hardware, Wed Dec-18-13 04:28 PM
but they do a good job of making you not care
668715, Looks like it has real potential, esp without the Franco/Pinto nonsense
Posted by LA2Philly, Wed Dec-18-13 03:17 PM
668718, I'm there!!
Posted by navajo joe, Wed Dec-18-13 03:34 PM
668727, I might actually see this opening night.
Posted by Sepia., Wed Dec-18-13 07:18 PM
I hate crowds so much, but I can't wait.
668822, Loved "Rise" so I'm there.
Posted by bwood, Fri Dec-20-13 04:52 PM
668846, Well now I've got plans for at least one night in July.
Posted by Lardlad95, Sat Dec-21-13 11:29 AM
678212, New Trailer
Posted by cantball, Thu May-08-14 11:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHMCRaS3ao

FUCK.YEAH.

Behold my works,ye mighty
678213, All hail Ceasar
Posted by SammyJankis, Thu May-08-14 11:23 AM
I'm here for it!
678214, Dawn insists on giving herself such a long title.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu May-08-14 12:05 PM
681499, LMAO @ these trailers...I've seen the whole fucking movie already
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jun-30-14 11:32 AM

Good grief

I literally know the entire plot arc, storyline,
twist, and everything

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
681508, Looking like the best reviewed (action) movie of the summer
Posted by mrshow, Mon Jun-30-14 02:44 PM
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/critics-go-ape-in-first-reviews-for-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-20140630
681525, hyped
Posted by ternary_star, Mon Jun-30-14 08:11 PM
please let this be the summer palette cleanser everyone's promising
681539, It was dope. Serkis is amazing, and the story builds nicely on Rise.
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Jul-01-14 12:07 AM
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Funcrusher Plus
681544, The summer film i'm most looking forward to
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Tue Jul-01-14 05:36 AM
This should build on the impressive first movie and develop the story more - has Fox said how many films they are planning in this series?

They've added an excellent actor in Gary Oldman and Jason Clarke is coming up. The Apes look fantastic.

This film could top my summer movies list which currently has Winter Soldier at 1 and Days of Future Past at 2.

It is unlikely to happen now but does anyone else think that Planet of The Apes would work as a long form TV series with well paced story telling probably in a non linear format? Given the huge success of high production cost tv series I'd be really intrigued to see someone with a stellar vision be given control and able to tell a story over 12/13 episodes perhaps over several seasons.

On a side note i'd also love to see James Bond in a long form multi episodic tv series which focuses more on his character and makes the situations more realistic rather than the actions and explosions which fill the movies. I'm sure it would have a huge following (like the James Bond novels) but would the rights holders think it would cheapen the cinematic brand? In my opinion not if it is done well.
681742, Zoo the only one here who has seen so far?
Posted by go mack, Sun Jul-06-14 02:20 PM
Im hyped, gonna go to the 10pm showing Thursday night, looks like that's the soonest it opens around here.

Might rewatch Rise again altho it hasn't been too long, love the movie and don't mind getting it fresh before Dawn.
681763, I'm not usually up for these summer movies....
Posted by denny, Mon Jul-07-14 04:00 AM
but I'm on board. For one, C Nolan is not directing/writing. For two...the first one was pretty good and really sets this one up for high potential with all the competing thematic development. For three....I don't like comic book movies. I had to sit through "man of steel' recently. That has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Fingers crossed.
681765, 'Man of Steel' is easily one of the 10 worst movies ever made.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jul-07-14 07:50 AM

Not only was it dull and uninteresting

The action was over-the-top and pointless

And it ACTIVELY RUINED Lois Lane's character

Its like someone was trolling when they made that
movie, tried to make it shitty
681769, It gave us one of the best evil sidekicks in years tho
Posted by BigReg, Mon Jul-07-14 08:16 AM
http://ladygeekgirl.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/faora-evil.jpg

Don't even remember what the fuck she was called in the movie, thats how much character development she had.

But her sneer and rampant glee at the death and destruction taking place makes 80's action badguys proud.

http://theactionelite.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/1-Commando-Bad-Guy.jpg
681776, She ALMOST propelled it into "Good Shitty Movie" status...but nah.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jul-07-14 09:15 AM

Its just shitty.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
681976, Loved it
Posted by go mack, Fri Jul-11-14 12:51 AM
was a little peeved the theater I went to was supposed to have 2D but only had 3D but got over it quickly, the 3D was done really well in this one.

681987, Reviews are trickling in
Posted by Mafamaticks, Fri Jul-11-14 08:09 AM
http://www.theonion.com/video/the-onion-reviews-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes,36436/
681988, The single greatest film critic of our era.
Posted by Lardlad95, Fri Jul-11-14 08:46 AM
http://www.theonion.com/video/the-onion-reviews-12-years-a-slave,34261/
682023, i laughed out loud
Posted by thegodcam, Fri Jul-11-14 05:53 PM
682081, I'm dying.
Posted by Anfernee, Sun Jul-13-14 09:00 PM
682146, My chest hurts laughing at this.
Posted by 13Rose, Mon Jul-14-14 01:09 PM
Damn they got me...so damn early too!
682152, HOLY SHIT
Posted by RobOne4, Mon Jul-14-14 02:02 PM
when they went to Malcolm X then cut to the scene from Remember the Titans I lost it. Hilarious.
682835, NIGGA
Posted by taygravy, Sat Jul-26-14 10:57 PM
682026, Loved it. Maybe better than the first one.
Posted by BennyTenStack, Fri Jul-11-14 09:21 PM
682031, Incredible. Exciting, emotional, epic. The best 2014 summer blockbuster.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jul-11-14 11:30 PM
By a healthy margin. Give Andy Serkis an honorary Oscar, and throw one in the direction of Toby Kebbell while you're at it. Clarke is a notable upgrade over Franco, and the effects... my god, they're just on another level, even from the Oscar-winning first one.

I went in with high expectations, and I was STILL blown away. This is what blockbuster filmmaking should be.

And props to Giacchino for another outstanding and rich score. Fills those dialogue-less scenes and really makes you feel for every character.
682037, Did you see 3D?
Posted by go mack, Sat Jul-12-14 09:36 AM
those rainforest scenes were great, could damn near feel the rain inside the theater. Really well shot movie.

I may have to go back and take my son. Im leaning towards it being better than Rise, it didn't have the slow buildup or Franco. Looks like we will get one more movie which is good.

This is how to reboot a franchise tho. These two blow away all of them except maybe the original mainly for being the original.
682038, Short films between Rise and Dawn
Posted by go mack, Sat Jul-12-14 11:22 AM
not necessary viewing but they were done pretty well

https://variety.com/2014/tv/news/watch-planet-of-the-apes-short-films-document-gap-between-rise-and-dawn-1201257334/

682066, ^ these are great
Posted by ternary_star, Sun Jul-13-14 10:17 AM
especially the last one. they remind me more of "Contagion" but i like the fleshing out of the universe.
682072, Dude who started out as an emergency responder....smh
Posted by Lardlad95, Sun Jul-13-14 01:53 PM
That was some gripping drama that involved like 4 lines of dialogue.
682045, Loved the 1st one, this one as good or better?
Posted by High Society, Sat Jul-12-14 02:53 PM
682047, It's at least as good. In my opinion, it's better.
Posted by BennyTenStack, Sat Jul-12-14 03:48 PM
682315, Just saw it, gotta agree.
Posted by High Society, Tue Jul-15-14 08:52 PM
They did a fantastic job.
682049, easily better
Posted by ternary_star, Sat Jul-12-14 05:48 PM
loved the first one but Franco was a weak point. and "Dawn" is amazing action from start to finish
682048, jam packed with instant-classic scenes
Posted by ternary_star, Sat Jul-12-14 05:46 PM
this is how you do a summer blockbuster.

it's got a decent number of action movie cliches, but goddamnit who cares when your effects are this beautiful, when your characters are this well-defined and likeable, when your set pieces are this well staged, and when you have scene after scene of memorable, iconic moments.

such a great job of world-building and rock-solid, locked-in direction. whereas most 2+ hour movies feel about 45 minutes too long, I can't really think of any fat to cut in this one. it starts with a bad-ass action scene and barrels forward relentlessly until the end. and to the film's credit, I wasn't the least bit fatigued...I could've watched another two hours.

this has been basically a perfect series reboot so far. if the third movie is in the same league as the first two, "Apes" could pretty easily enter the conversation of best trilogy ever.
682051, a strong case for our future extermination
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jul-12-14 06:07 PM
as it seems are relatives deserved to be cleansed from Earth's biological stream, at least in the minds of the writers. the biggest antagonist on the human side is a dimwit whose actions have the same effect as a suicide bomber -- whereas Koba is a full character that deserves empathy.

I'm fine with the human stories being pushed even further out of view, however, as the failings and triumphs of man and super-ape are analogous (see: the number of assholes in any species ready to start a war). the impetus for genocide was also handled smartly, not relying on us to place blame, but to understand that conflict is inevitable when two factions mistrust one another.

continually impressive effects, Serkis was fantastic as always, Reeves surprised me with such tight direction and pace, and credit to Weta/Seresin for the cinematography (Clarke inside the tower, the hellish assault and tank cam, etc.).
682061, Miguel Alvarez stays fucking up.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Jul-13-14 12:53 AM
683090, LOL. I thought the same thing in the movie theater. n/m
Posted by Cornbread, Thu Jul-31-14 11:51 AM
682065, Saw it last night. Better than the first. Had me on the edge of my seat.
Posted by catalyst, Sun Jul-13-14 09:53 AM
Easily the best film I've seen all year. Plenty of action & emotion.
682073, yayyy! Monkies!
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Jul-13-14 01:58 PM
great flick. simple as that. best blockbuster i've seen so far this summer....
easily
682075, It was great! A must see.
Posted by Case_One, Sun Jul-13-14 05:29 PM

Instagram - @casethenupe
Twitter - @revjcase
Host of The Power Up Show http://uvr20.net/group/thepoweupshow
UVR 2.0 Universe Radio
"The Twenny, Baby!
https://www.facebook.com/thepoweupshow
682079, I thought it was gonna be a lot better.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sun Jul-13-14 08:22 PM
Still a solid flick though.
I was expecting more action and fighting. I guess I gotta wait for the next flick.
682106, oh word? (SPOILERS)
Posted by ternary_star, Mon Jul-14-14 07:18 AM
>I was expecting more action and fighting.

in this movie, a chimp rides a horse while dual-wielding fully-automatic assault rifles.

this thing is wall-to-wall action. there's a spy chimp sneaking into an armory. there's a full-on assault on an armed barracks. there's a prison break. there's an attempted assassination. there's a climactic brawl amidst a crumbling tower. there's a throwaway scene of THREE CHIMPS FIGHTING A GRIZZLY BEAR.

my god, man...I honestly can't see how this movie could leave anyone disappointed. are your pleasure centers completely Bay-ed out?
682109, Throw away scene nothing. Seeing the chimps by themselves was
Posted by Lardlad95, Mon Jul-14-14 08:25 AM
the best part of the film.
682134, no doubt.
Posted by ternary_star, Mon Jul-14-14 10:43 AM
i honestly wish the whole move was from the ape perspective. like the humans were treated like Orcs in Lord of the Rings or something.

but it shows how insane this movie was that a grizzly bear fight was just a tiny little appetizer.
682139, I think this is kind of the point.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-14-14 11:23 AM

>like the humans were treated like Orcs in Lord of the Rings or
>something.

They aren't our leads. Last movie gave even more time to the humans, because it was their world and Caesar was trying to figure it out. Now, the roles have flipped, and the apes definitely got more time than the humans, as they should, as it's their world and their story. Outside of Clarke, we learn just enough about the humans to understand their role-- are they for the apes or against the apes?

I've heard a few complaints about how they wanted the humans to be more developed-- if anything, I'd have been fine with less development. Malcolm isn't the protagonist, he's the catalyst that sets the protag and antag against one another. I can't think of another movie where essentially the fourth or so most important character gets that much screen time.
682151, sorry...i meant i wanted the humans less involved
Posted by ternary_star, Mon Jul-14-14 01:59 PM
it would've been interesting to have the entire movie from the Ape perspective and treat the humans as a faceless threat...almost like the xenomorph from Aliens or the Orcs in LotR.

and that might be what we get in the third installment.
682161, That's exactly what I expect.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-14-14 03:32 PM
>it would've been interesting to have the entire movie from
>the Ape perspective and treat the humans as a faceless
>threat...almost like the xenomorph from Aliens or the Orcs in
>LotR.
>
>and that might be what we get in the third installment.

Their diminishing role in the plot dwindling down further.
682147, The action scenes from the first were a little bit better to me.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Jul-14-14 01:16 PM
I guess I thought this one made that shit look too ridiculous. The chimp on a horse with the machine guns for example just looked silly to me. Nigga might as well had on a eyepatch and a beret.

I expected more. More conflict. Better story. It's been 10 yrs since the outbreak, I wanted the story to be further along.
682154, did you see the short films in post #32?
Posted by ternary_star, Mon Jul-14-14 02:10 PM
they're obviously not necessary to enjoy the flick, but they do a good job of connecting the dots on the time line:

https://variety.com/2014/tv/news/watch-planet-of-the-apes-short-films-document-gap-between-rise-and-dawn-1201257334

the setting presented in the movie is an extremely plausible world 10 years after a major pandemic.

humans are on the brink and about to run out of power. the apes have an organized society, and the most intelligent ones are teaching the young how to read. it's all a perfect setup for the inevitable complete takeover.

not sure how they could've presented this story or this world any better.
682157, Im a check the shorts out.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Jul-14-14 02:57 PM
From the 1 preview I saw, there was a scene where Oldman says, "I want to speak with Caesar".

So, I was already expecting a movie where apes have already completely taken over or on the verge of it.
682172, Ha!
Posted by KingMonte, Mon Jul-14-14 07:34 PM
682137, This is the problem with summer blockbusters.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jul-14-14 10:52 AM
>I was expecting more action and fighting.

I mean, in a movie that was brimming with fighting, shooting, explosions, betrayals, murders, apes throwing other apes off of bridges, apes fighting bears, apes shooting people, people shooting apes, apes tricking humans by acting like silly apes, apes on horses, apes fighting bears, APES COMMANDEERING A FUCKING ASSAULT VEHICLE, apes throwing other apes off of bridges...... we still have people saying there wasn't enough action.

So, let me get this straight:

We get a blockbuster with great acting, great action, great story telling, great special effects, great casting, great pacing, etc..... and yet there are still people who get bored during that space between action scenes called "story" and pine for more action.

Guys like you deserve this, and nothing more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOEqziG6CXw
682148, So because I was underwhelmed by this movie, I'm a Michael Bay...
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Jul-14-14 01:22 PM
fan now?

Lol

Not saying the movie wasn't good. But it was far from the great movie I expected based in the first one and the previews.

682149, I didn't say you were a Bay fan.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jul-14-14 01:49 PM
I dunno how you arrived at that conclusion, but it’s nowhere in my post.

I said that that’s the sort of thing you deserved in response to your statement that you needed MORE action from this movie.

You can like it, not like it, love it, hate it, whatever. I’m just talkin a little trash. I just thought that SP clip was a nice response, considering how much action this movie had. I'm over thinking, "I just watched an ape hijack a goddamned tank, and this guy wants MORE action? What more could he possibly get?" and the SP Bay bit popped into my head.
682443, Same...Blame Bomback
Posted by jigga, Fri Jul-18-14 08:19 AM
If he writes the next one I'm done

Dozed off early but by the time I woke up it wasn't a lack of action that lost my interest...twas the script

Koba kinda saved it on his Lil Zé steez but overall I was pretty bored

Enjoyed this more than the movie

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/16/chimps-watch-planet-of-the-apes_n_5591527.html
682492, Yeah I low key nodded off at 3 diff times myself.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sat Jul-19-14 05:57 PM
682111, Koba, though
Posted by Marauder21, Mon Jul-14-14 08:47 AM
Outstanding villain, far more interesting than most of the human characters.
682141, If the antagonist isn't more interesting than supporting characters...
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-14-14 11:50 AM
... then I'd say the movie hasn't really balanced the scale terribly well.

This was one of those mega-rare blockbuster films in which the hero and the villain are equally compelling. Usually it's either hero-centric and the villain is compulsory, or the villain steals every scene and the hero seems dull as a result.
682150, I loved how they tried to make Koba’s cause seem somewhat noble.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jul-14-14 01:54 PM
It wasn’t 100% clear to me whether he was manipulating Blue Eyes, or if he actually had more of a heart than I gave him credit for. His rant about humans tormenting him, seeing the weapons the humans had, etc, definitely gave him a nice bit of relatable, perhaps even empathetic motive.

I saw that and gained just enough doubt to feel some sympathy. Once he popped Cesar though, it was clear: this was all a power grab and nothing more.
682155, Dude, he took out Caesar and burned the forest in one fell swoop
Posted by Marauder21, Mon Jul-14-14 02:27 PM
AND had the vision to plant that dude's hat.

He was thinking three moves ahead of the rest of the apes and was almost devious enough to get away with it.
682170, I'd argue it was more than that.
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jul-14-14 07:25 PM
>Once he popped Cesar though, it was clear: this was all a
>power grab and nothing more.

Koba wanted what he thought was best for their species. he would've been happy to remain a lieutenant had Caesar attacked the humans, but after giving his leader three chances (first contact, letting them reconnect power, then seeing one of them pull a gun on an infant ape), the only way left was assume leadership of the group.

Caesar had the same motives in the first movie: he saw a better life than what the apes had in captivity, took out their leader and made it happen. he also knows he'll be tested anytime the tribe questions his leadership or strength. "apes look for the strongest branch." to that end, how Koba did Ash was cold, but understandable -- Caesar had incredible loyalty and acts of dissent could be fatal to him quickly.

finally, Koba was right about *a lot* of things. once the human colony had power and radio contact back, I don't think it'd take long for them to look at the remains of the Golden Gate Bridge and think, "we've got to take out these apes before they overrun the entire state and nation." Koba died a traitor but may have saved his species in the long run.
682212, It's the whole Professor X/Magneto thing.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jul-15-14 01:52 AM
What is *actually* better for the species: attempted peaceful coexistence, or brutally won superiority? I'm sure one could argue forever the merits and demerits of either approach.

Magneto and Koba, to paraphrase The Big Lebowski, aren't wrong-- they're just kind of assholes. Action vs. patience.
682528, it's almost that
Posted by rob, Sun Jul-20-14 09:13 PM
they could have written the apes universe so that it was an open question if koba was right, but they didn't. i feel like the appeal of magneto is that his intuition about the nature of the threat to mutants is CONSTANTLY being proven to at least being an open possibility...and he's also CONSTANTLY demonstrating that he's the intellectual and tactical equal of the x-men.

koba,on the other hand, wasn't just blinded by his hatred in moments, he legitimately doesn't get the big picture. he has the kind of mentality that can win in a tribe but still be self-destructive, which is why he's a villain for an arc but not more than that. and i fucking love the koba character.

i think caesar is still walking that line...you don't see him trying to establish a hybrid society. i think the debate is still going to play out within him and his family....or maybe that's only because ape society is still very small...or maybe it's because humans have been doing a good job on their own of removing themselves as a threat so far.
682504, Koba is ape for "Bout that lyfe"
Posted by hardware, Sun Jul-20-14 01:20 AM
682119, #1 on my list of 2014 so far...
Posted by SammyJankis, Mon Jul-14-14 09:28 AM
Man that shit was awesome.

And it was the Blackest movie this year!
682142, Orangutan quote " Run".. LOL
Posted by Case_One, Mon Jul-14-14 12:13 PM

Instagram - @casethenupe
Twitter - @revjcase
Host of The Power Up Show http://uvr20.net/group/thepoweupshow
UVR 2.0 Universe Radio
"The Twenny, Baby!
https://www.facebook.com/thepoweupshow
682158, I enjoyed it. Rise was better IMO though.
Posted by phenompyrus, Mon Jul-14-14 03:09 PM
Cool there was more action, but I think I prefer Rise. Andy Serkis is going to be a nerd all-star at this point though... Gollum, Caesar, King Kong, and Star Wars Ep. 7 and Avengers 2 coming up, yea...

The cast was cool though, the story progressed, it's cool that this is a new franchise that Fox has going for it though, I like these movies quite a bit, and the plot in general for the Apes movies is pretty great.
682223, I really liked the 1st one, I loved this one
Posted by Grand_Royal, Tue Jul-15-14 10:52 AM
I thought it said a lot, that once apes started to get more intelligent, they started to take on our petty traits as well. Koba hating humans for the abuse that he took was natural, but the way he manufactured the conflict to feed his agenda was very "human".
682326, Caesar Da God.
Posted by Anfernee, Wed Jul-16-14 01:26 AM
Damn, Serkis and whoever played Koba killed that shit.

I cracked up when Koba went into clown mode on those two dudes before murking them.

Top 5 of the year thus far.
682370, RE: liked it, but wasn't worth my damn $7.75, but i'm cheap.
Posted by ceeq9, Wed Jul-16-14 05:47 PM
====================================
when cannibal confronts missionary, who is religious and who insane..the one eating people, the other converting them... (c) James Hillman
682427, RE: liked it, but wasn't worth my damn $7.75, but i'm cheap.
Posted by ceeq9, Thu Jul-17-14 03:48 PM
further,got to thinking,liked it because of ''koba'', he kept it from being some sentimental character study. to any writers lurking for the potential for part 3, just saying...
====================================
when cannibal confronts missionary, who is religious and who insane..the one eating people, the other converting them... (c) James Hillman
682442, Can't wait for the "Planet" remake, which is rumored to be next.
Posted by Deluge, Fri Jul-18-14 07:15 AM
682636, Matt Reeves intimates that the remake will not be next (swipe)
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Jul-23-14 12:53 AM
http://www.hitfix.com/news/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-sequel-wont-feature-a-major-time-jump

>‘Dawn of the Planet of the Apes’ sequel won't feature a major time jump
DIRECTOR MATT REEVES SAYS SEQUEL WILL TAKE PLACE NOT LONG AFTER 'DAWN'

By Josh Wigler, Comic Book Resources | MONDAY, JUL 21, 2014 10:45 PM

(CBR) War looms in the world of the "Planet of the Apes," and to hear director Matt Reeves tell it, we’re going to see it for ourselves.

Despite the 10-year time-jump between "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" and "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," Reeves tells The Playlist the sequel to "Dawn" won’t feature a similar leap.

“I don’t necessarily think that there will be as big a leap between films,” he said. “I see Caesar as a seminal figure in ape history and he’s a mythic character. He’s essentially like their Moses and I think Caesar having to grapple with what it means to engage in this conflict that he doesn’t really want to be a part of and how that cuts at his core is going to be one of the great challenges for the character. I also think it’s a generational story. He has children and I think it’s going to be … to me there are many chapters of this mythic ape journey towards the original ’68 movie.”

Indeed, Reeves thinks “there are a number of films and stories” to be told between the events of "Dawn" and the far-future world of the first "Planet of the Apes" film — and that’s what keeps him excited.

“The question is: are the audiences interested in going on that journey with us?” he said. “The disparity between the way the world looks in ‘Dawn’ and the way it looked in the ’68 film is huge so how do we get from here to there? Then when we do get there, if we do get there, how is that world different by virtue of the new point of view that we’ve taken?”

The untitled sequel to "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" is scheduled for July 29, 2016.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Hollywood Collusion is Wack.
682461, solid film, liked Rise better though
Posted by colonelk, Fri Jul-18-14 02:36 PM
Positives:

Ape effects were a major step forward. Still cartoony (just wait until you watch it at home) in wide shots with a lot of movement but face animation was stellar.

That rare (but hardly unprecedented) action film where you're rooting for action not to occur. You don't want conflict between the Apes and humans. So when it happens you're torn between enjoying spectacle and wanting it to end for narrative sympathetic reasons.

Gary Oldman may be a cranky old bigot, but he's still a stellar actor, even when he has a paper-thin character.

That turret shot was great. A really inventive image that both looked cool and effectively helped told the story.

Apes on horses with machine guns. It may be what movie cameras were invented for.

Negatives:

The human characters were weak. Yes, it's great the Apes were the main characters. But you can have interesting supporting characters. These people were rejected characters from a TV writing room. The adopted mother-son subplot was pointless and got dropped. Gary Oldman really had nothing to do with the plot. Their decisions were beyond illogical (the trigger happy dude could have been much more interesting, instead he was transparently retarded to a degree that nobody would have brought him along).

The tactics were dumb. One of the best scenes in Rise is when the humans blockade the bridge but don't anticipate the Apes going over/under them. In this film Koba just charges the strongest point of the human fortress. Sure you can justify his character as being more direct than Caesar, but he just executed this elaborate power takeover and now his best strategy is to send his warriors World War One style directly into machine gun fire? The fortress under assault scenarios is one of cinema's most potent (see The Alamo, Seven Samurai, Drums Along the Mohawk, Assault on Precinct 13, etc.) Instead it's squandered with a big loud battle where the Apes just win on sheer numbers.

Oldman's tactics were also dumb. There are lots of humans left in the city and plenty of Apes *not* in this tower so I'm just going to use this C4 I conveniently found down here to blow it up. What? Also, how did the human hero dude in any way survive being a dozen feet away from an explosion that nearly brought down a skyscraper? Totally impossible.

The female characters were a big waste. Caesar's wife has no name and basically spends the whole movie laying around. Female chimps participate in hunting and group politics. Why not have, ya know, at least one female Ape with something to do except make babies? Similarly the one human female with any lines is a doctor who basically just tells the human hero he's brave and looks nurturing. It's not a political correctness issue, it's a potential source of interesting character dynamics that is squandered.

The conflict between Caesar and Koba resolves with basically a big punching match. Caesar doesn't do anything clever or interesting, he just (despite a near-death gunshot wound) summons his magical movie hero strength and pounds the villain to death. Pretty boring resolution.

682462, Oh, FYI, the Audible novelization is superb.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-18-14 05:17 PM
682470, BTW I kind of want them to ignore the original
Posted by go mack, Fri Jul-18-14 07:36 PM
I know the first one had hints of the failed space mission, missing astronauts, etc.

I like that these new ones are more reality based however, aside from talking apes lol. I don't need the time travel plot to come in. And I really hope they don't start making the apes wear clothes and be doctor apes, scientist apes, etc. cuz that will just seem corny imo. I like that these apes are still basically apes that are just smarter and can talk.

682505, well these are all re-imaginings of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
Posted by hardware, Sun Jul-20-14 01:28 AM
so idk if they're even gonna make it to the original
it'll probably have a nod at the end of the 3rd movie or something
682520, you may be disappointed
Posted by colonelk, Sun Jul-20-14 03:54 PM
Maybe not clothes, but I bet in the next film the Ape society will be more developed and "human." Bigger, more defined social roles, etc. The Ape garden of Eden is gone and now they are occupying a human city with human technology.

682517, Liked it
Posted by lfresh, Sun Jul-20-14 03:47 PM
What I was able to see uninterrupted that is

Had a family behind me that just would not shut up from the adults to the kids
5 people
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
682526, saw it again tonight..it actually even better 2nd time....
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Jul-20-14 08:35 PM
...we enjoyed it even more the 2nd time than the first time, and thats saying something because coming out of the FIRST viewing i friggin loved it completely.

this was just a damn well done, well rounded, TOTALLY satisfying flick on every level for me.

much applause to Mr Reeves and the cast n crew for this one
682527, they did a great job with the ape characters
Posted by rob, Sun Jul-20-14 08:50 PM
the human characters were okay, and maybe this is because we have a movie more depth with the chimps and bonobos but i definitely think this is the best film i've seen demonstrating making a movie with effects that's still a great story/character-driven film. it deserves serious awards consideration, as do serkis and kebbell.

koba might be the best villain i've seen in a film this year. his perspective makes sense in human and in primate terms, and the path they all take is paced well enough that it was believable.

and it was interesting watching this after x-men and seeing caesar walk that xavier/magneto line better and less fucking randomly out of control than those two.

this really might be the goat sci-fi franchise (certainly the best reboot) if they can give blue eyes and the next generation the same kind of complexity as they move forward.

if there's a critique it's that the apes are more human in their motivations/social organization than apes would be, but they get maaaaajooooooor points for even trying to move the arrow.
682543, pretty good if somewhat predictable
Posted by southphillyman, Mon Jul-21-14 09:53 AM
i don't know anything about the originals and was still able to see the koba twist from a mile away
other than that pretty good
682623, You guys really hyped this
Posted by louie_depalma, Tue Jul-22-14 04:54 PM
I went back and watched rise on the strength of this hype. I even watched the bridge videos someone posted. But this shit was dumb. I couldn't watch any more after the humans bitched out when the apes rode in on some clint eastwood and later decided to test their luck.

Are they speaking and using sign language because they lost the ability to communicate with each other through other means? Is that a thing? Do sign language apes do that irl? Also it seems to me that it's pretty good being a talking ape, why would human beings evolve from that to a point where they can't smash cars, scale buildings and use their feet?
682627, talking they way you think of it and smashing cars/bridges
Posted by rob, Tue Jul-22-14 09:51 PM
is only something that happens after homo sapiens already exist.

chimps and gorillas can't speak. they don't have the vocal chord/muscle control. that's why they learn sign language in the real world. in the last movie they explained it with the alzheimer's medication/genetic work they were doing in the labs. but it's still surprising to the humans in the movies when caesar and his bros talk.

evolution isn't about reaching a better state...it's just whatever traits happen to make you more survivable in the epoch you find yourself inhabiting.
682644, RE: talking they way you think of it and smashing cars/bridges
Posted by louie_depalma, Wed Jul-23-14 08:44 AM
Nah. They are primarily using sign language and english to communicate with each other. To me, that assumes that apes couldn't communicate with each other before they learned sign language or that they would naturally prefer it. That seems ludicrous after only 10 years.

These apes are damn near indestructible (compared to humans), they smash cars, they ride horses and now they can talk. Why would they evolve to become more human-like? It seems to me that this would be a great place to stop.

>is only something that happens after homo sapiens already
>exist.
>
>chimps and gorillas can't speak. they don't have the vocal
>chord/muscle control. that's why they learn sign language in
>the real world. in the last movie they explained it with the
>alzheimer's medication/genetic work they were doing in the
>labs. but it's still surprising to the humans in the movies
>when caesar and his bros talk.
>
>evolution isn't about reaching a better state...it's just
>whatever traits happen to make you more survivable in the
>epoch you find yourself inhabiting.
682653, why are you assuming this is what will happen?
Posted by ternary_star, Wed Jul-23-14 10:06 AM
>Why would they evolve to become more human-like? It seems to me
>that this would be a great place to stop.

682654, You know that evolution doesn't stop though... right?
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Jul-23-14 10:18 AM
nm
682671, they were a group of 4 different species
Posted by rob, Wed Jul-23-14 01:13 PM
and they did do a lot of hooting and body language communication....but they'd need a lingua franca to talk between species and to discuss concepts that were new in the past 10 years too.
682638, I don't have the energy to break down all the ways this logic is 100% wrong
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jul-23-14 01:30 AM
So I won't. Just know that this statement right here is wildly off the mark for about a ten reasons.

>Are they speaking and using sign language because they lost
>the ability to communicate with each other through other
>means? Is that a thing? Do sign language apes do that irl?
>Also it seems to me that it's pretty good being a talking ape,
>why would human beings evolve from that to a point where they
>can't smash cars, scale buildings and use their feet?
682645, Rest up
Posted by louie_depalma, Wed Jul-23-14 08:45 AM
683167, lmao
Posted by southphillyman, Fri Aug-01-14 03:16 PM
682652, they were still talking "chimp"
Posted by ternary_star, Wed Jul-23-14 10:04 AM
but we saw that they're teaching the young basic english, so of course more advanced language would become more commonplace in the society since it allows for much more detailed communication.

sounds like you went in ready to hate and found something to try to nitpick, but your logic is really flawed.
683168, yea this part was dumb to me but i think in the 1st one
Posted by southphillyman, Fri Aug-01-14 03:19 PM

>Are they speaking and using sign language because they lost
>the ability to communicate with each other through other
>means? Is that a thing? Do sign language apes do that irl?
>Also it seems to me that it's pretty good being a talking ape,
>why would human beings evolve from that to a point where they
>can't smash cars, scale buildings and use their feet?

they hinted that Caesars intelligence & accelerated evolution (by way of drugs) was common among the other lab monkeys
just not to the same degree
maybe i'm misremembering though
682801, Koba = Bookem Woodbine character in any of his movies
Posted by Shelly, Sat Jul-26-14 05:34 AM
Has no patience and always starting some shit. I was cracking up when he started cooning for the humans.
Shit happens
682984, preferred Rise.
Posted by Nodima, Wed Jul-30-14 11:00 AM
had some cool action scenes but it was a pretty dumb movie (I kind of expected that, I was just hoping it wouldn't have so many characters that went nowhere or existed purely as a device) and about a half hour too long.

I think the movie is perfectly summarized by Gary Oldman's character activating that C4 in the subways in order to bring down the tower and kill all the apes, only for the tower to A) remain standing and B) very few of the apes to die. On the surface a whole bunch of shit was supposedly happening, but in the end it was mostly just bombast.

I also remained confused for the duration of the film as to how the apes hadn't come across humans in seven or eight years or whatever Maurice said and yet they were still in San Francisco burning gasoline and eating wheat bread the whole time.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
682986, wait
Posted by hardware, Wed Jul-30-14 11:15 AM
the bomb was your sticking point

after all the dumb ideas the humans had that didn't work
the bomb predictably not working was cause for pause?

also they hadn't seen a human for 2 years

Maurice says's it had been 6 or 7 winters but they hadn't heard a peep for the last two
682996, I think I was a little mentally checked out by then.
Posted by Nodima, Wed Jul-30-14 12:27 PM
I wanted more monkeys doing their Doomguy on horses, less humans trying to be clever.

but yea, the first moment I had a little pause was when Gun Dummy told Malcolm "they're just apes, man!" You'd figure everyone in the world at this point knew about the smart apes led by the one who screamed NOOOOOO in the lab that one time (though I guess those guards died, but James Franco would've mentioned that monkey spoke to him in the forest, right?).

Actually, I'm kind of curious what happened to Franco. He caught the virus and died, went into hiding?

One thing I will say I appreciated was Koba as a villain. The CEO in charge of the testing facility in the first movie was so beyond action movie dumb I almost wanted to call Rise an action comedy rather than a drama. Koba was a very good villain, and I honestly didn't see him actually pulling the trigger coming. I figured he was just going to try and destroy the armory or bring them back to try and teach the apes how to use them. I didn't expect the apes to just master guns instantly.

The more I think about it, these movies were probably on par with each other. This one was more dumb fun, I was a little more interested in Ceaser learning and escaping the monkey jail.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
683049, this is the only tribe of apes in the world like this tho
Posted by hardware, Wed Jul-30-14 07:37 PM
judging by whats going on
and i'd imagine the world was more worried about the virus than the 40 apes that escaped

i think we're left to assume everybody in the first movie caught the virus and died, which i preferred.

but yeah, the humans were dumb. lol
683098, yeah, the bomb seemed like a half-finshed idea
Posted by colonelk, Thu Jul-31-14 12:46 PM
The fact that it doesn't really do much except add a little more shakiness to the Caesar-Koba duel makes Oldman's character just seem like an idiot. Could have added lot more interesting excitement to the end of the movie but was just sort of a shrug moment.

Also the fact that Hero Guy just runs a few feet and somehow survives that blast totally unscathed is Indy-in-the-fridge dumb.
683172, i can agree
Posted by hardware, Fri Aug-01-14 04:31 PM
but when it got to that part i was having a hard time believing they knew how to rig explosives properly
686636, it also seemed like they hadn't finished setting them up
Posted by gumz, Thu Oct-09-14 08:08 AM
Oldman did say "I could use your help" so maybe they were supposed to rig up more explosives but he blew it early because he had a gun aimed at him.