Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCould have been a lot better
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=668136&mesg_id=678679
678679, Could have been a lot better
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Thu May-15-14 01:12 PM
Just come back from it and while I had really high hopes for this film as the best blockbuster of the summer I came away disappointed.

The first 20 minutes in Japan piqued my interest but then I was upset at a certain plot development (you'll know when you watch it).

The design of the MUTUs is just so wrong. Quite freaky and just a composite of many other animals.

Aaron Johnson Taylor did not convince me he can become a major star and I loved him in the first KickAss.

In fact most of the actors are given nothing to do (not hugely surprising given its a movie about Monsters) and I feel sorry for Elizabeth Olsen who has nothing written for her character in the movie. Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins too. A waste of really good acting talent too.

The pacing of the film seemed off to me. It drags during the middle two quarters only to accelerate again towards the end of the film. I haven't seen Gareth Edwards previous film but I'm guessing some of it is rehashed in this.

I was one of the people who thought the Amazing Spiderman 2 was an abomination. Fortunately Godzilla isn't on the level of that awful summer film but its also nowhere near the level of The Winter Soldier which is the high water mark for 2014's action films. I'll have to hope Days of Future Past and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes are of similar quality to Cap otherwise I have no films to look forward to until the fall award bait releases.

I'll check back in here after more people have seen it to discuss the film without giving out spoilers here.