Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectDidn't find it much different from the last two. Might be even better.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=667887&mesg_id=712831
712831, Didn't find it much different from the last two. Might be even better.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jun-03-16 03:24 PM
As someone who thought that everything First Class and DOFP was trying to do felt very "been there, done that," at least this movie at times feels like it's reaching. Things like Magneto destroying Auschwitz, the disarmament of the world, the very real worldwide destruction at the end-- they're definitely going for something beyond the usual Martin vs. Malcolm thing here. There's religion here, not to mention past vs. future.

I didn't hate Isaac like most people here-- he's pretty one-note, but that's par for the course for the overwhelming majority of good and bad guy characters alike for the entire franchise. At least his note-- "I am a God" (c) Yeezy-- intrigues me, and his powers aren't to be fucked with.

Most anything involving characters who aren't Magneto, Quicksilver, and Apocalypse is worthless. Mystique plotline worthless. Professor X bumbling over Moira is *cringeworthy.* Beast is garbage (it's amazing that The Last Stand is *still* the best version of Beast we've gotten). Storm has next to nothing after a promising opening scene. Psylocke looks just like the fucking character, but she is given nothing to do at all. Cyclops and Jean have no chemistry, no intrigue, no nothing.

Still, I think it's the same as the last two movies: relentlessly overstuffed, packed to the brim with CGI of varying degrees of quality, fairly one-note across the board save for Magneto, action fairly rudimentary save for Magneto and Quicksilver. I could make an argument that the sheer bigness and weirdness of this movie makes it more memorable to me than the last two-- I remember basically *nothing* about DOFP-- but I'm sure that won't be a good thing to many (especially those who remember DOFP fondly). Most of these movies only elevate to great for a scene or two, and they're happy to languish in the mediocre-to-fine range for the rest of the films. The one-note characters and bland performances in the majority of the roles (not helped by the writing in the last several films) definitely don't help matters.

My rankings are still:
1: X2.
2-whatever: eh.
Last: X-Men Origins: Wolverine.