Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject The Raid 2: Berendal (Retaliation)[Evans, 2014]
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=665617
665617, The Raid 2: Berendal (Retaliation)[Evans, 2014]
Posted by ceeq9, Wed Nov-06-13 11:27 AM
teaser up:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObJKvZRlSSY
====================================
when cannibal confronts missionary, who is religious and who insane..the one eating people, the other converting them... (c) James Hillman
665618, Can't wait!
Posted by spades, Wed Nov-06-13 11:34 AM
665619, RE: no what i'm sayin'
Posted by ceeq9, Wed Nov-06-13 11:40 AM
====================================
when cannibal confronts missionary, who is religious and who insane..the one eating people, the other converting them... (c) James Hillman
665629, Sofa King Hype!!!!
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Nov-06-13 01:57 PM
I cant wait.
665630, One of my most anticipated of next year
Posted by bwood, Wed Nov-06-13 01:58 PM
665642, Definitely.
Posted by phenompyrus, Wed Nov-06-13 03:07 PM
665653, whoa!
Posted by xangeluvr, Wed Nov-06-13 06:45 PM
can't wait.

i wonder why dude is in a cell? that is the same dude as from the first, right?
665662, RE: he's undercover
Posted by aolhater, Wed Nov-06-13 09:41 PM
looks great doh
665658, I got to catch this one.
Posted by The Wordsmith, Wed Nov-06-13 09:03 PM
It looks like it's gonna be as dope as the first one.

Since 1976
665710, Shit got me in my office hype as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by b2thej, Thu Nov-07-13 01:01 PM
665812, ^
Posted by woe.is.me., Sat Nov-09-13 06:20 PM
665824, <<<< my username
Posted by Hellyeah, Sun Nov-10-13 08:30 AM
665829, lol
Posted by The Wordsmith, Sun Nov-10-13 02:32 PM

Since 1976
665835, Looks really good, first one was awesome.
Posted by icecold21, Sun Nov-10-13 05:46 PM
669370, First full trailer:
Posted by phenompyrus, Thu Jan-02-14 09:53 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/02/first-trailer-for-the-raid-2
669374, holy shit. can't wait
Posted by astralblak, Thu Jan-02-14 10:21 PM
674314, I liked the first one better. *No spoilers*
Posted by bwood, Mon Mar-10-14 10:58 PM
I was expecting an adrenaline rush of non stop action like the first and this wasn't that. At all.

Yeah, there's lots of fights from start to finish, but this one wanted to tell an actual story. And when they wanted to tell the story, I was bored. Evan got kinda artsy at points and some of it was cool and some of it wasn't. Also, you can tell these niggas have bigger budget than the first film from the opening shot.

All I wanted was niggas fucking each other up. Which you get here in spades, but just the non-stop roller coaster that the first was.

With all that said the violence is more brutal in this one. I mean cotdamn at some of the ways these niggas be fucking each other up in this joint.

And there are 2 fight scenes at the end of the film and a car chase that are better than anything in the first. Thinking about that shit right now has my heart racing.

With all that said, hopefully for the last part of this trilogy, Evans takes it back to a bare bones plot with non-stop action.
674325, wow.... well Im still excited but....
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Mar-11-14 08:21 AM
I will miss the non-stop action of the first. See these type of movies dont really need a deep plot. Just do it like the first, good guys, bad guys, and guy playing both side...annnnnd FIGHT. But Im still hype for it.
675259, pissed its only in NY & LA this weekend...
Posted by KnowOne, Thu Mar-27-14 01:41 PM
tempted to make a road trip. Dont feel like waiting until the 11th.
675317, ^Yep, I was pissed too.
Posted by phenompyrus, Fri Mar-28-14 11:49 AM
So gotta settle on Sabotage this weekend.

Good to know the 11th is wide release though, didn't know that before.
675328, Me too
Posted by Kid Ray, Fri Mar-28-14 02:20 PM
I guess I'm gonna watch the 1st one today.
675346, Like Bwood said above, a good dose of 'undercover cop' plot
Posted by BigReg, Fri Mar-28-14 09:28 PM
The undercover plotline isn't bad and is surprisingly well acted across the board. The problem is that it's pretty cliche.

However, I don't think it's a huge problem because the set pieces they have sprinkled in are spectacular.

But when the climax hits, its a whole other level...if you liked the first one you will like this one as well...some of the shit they pull off...woah. Easily a must see if you liked the first.

>teaser up:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObJKvZRlSSY
>====================================
>when cannibal confronts missionary, who is religious and who
>insane..the one eating people, the other converting them...
>(c) James Hillman
675391, Begins slow, then quickly turns awesome.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Mar-30-14 03:13 PM
The first hour has a good amount of rote cop stuff that's pretty boring, but once Hammer Girl and Bat Man roll in, it immediately gets fantastic from there out. Sit through the first hour or so, brace yourself for the final 40-45 minutes. It's better than anything from the first after that.
675720, It wasn't full throttle action but it was just as good as the first.
Posted by Kid Ray, Fri Apr-04-14 04:15 PM
I really dug the story after the whole prison part the movie was good as hell. Great story, awesome action.
675909, Raid 2: My quick thoughts
Posted by avillago, Mon Apr-07-14 10:51 AM
Overall, I was a bit disappointed with The Raid 2. It's definitely a different film from the first and more plot-driven, which I have no problem with. But whereas the first film had very little plot, this film had way too much...particularly in the middle of the film. There are at least 30 minutes that can be edited from this film, especially the homeless assassin's character and all his scenes...which hardly serve the plot. If anything, his story brings the entire movie to a screeching halt and his fight scenes were dull. Once they introduce the three other assassins, the film picks up again & finishes quite nicely. It's just those 30+ minutes in the middle that stop this from being a great film. As is, it's a chore to sit thru and I think it will have many at home fast forwarding from the prison scenes two the last third of the film.
676475, This movie is very badass.
Posted by phenompyrus, Sun Apr-13-14 02:39 PM
Much like The Raid and V/H/S/2 segment Safe Haven, Gareth Evans does not shy away from showing the violence up front and in your face.

The movie starts very slow in comparison, but when it picks up, really when they introduce Hammer Girl and the Baseball Bat Man, it goes full throttle from there into topnotch action.

I hope that Iko Uwais and Gareth Evans become stars, b/c they have immense talent.
676502, I was not disappointed
Posted by b2thej, Sun Apr-13-14 09:31 PM
It was just as good as the first one to me.
676510, amazing
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Apr-13-14 10:51 PM
whatver downsides there may be, it has better action than any of these shitty superhero movies cats are going to tell you to watch, and possibly the second best car chase scene I've ever seen since Ronin

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
681965, fam, wasn't that car chase fucn incredible
Posted by astralblak, Thu Jul-10-14 09:21 PM
me and my lady were drunk and on the edge of our couch, like O_O
676538, Even more hardcore than the first.
Posted by Anfernee, Mon Apr-14-14 05:06 AM
That mud fight was crazy. Pencak silat is such a badass discipline.

Although, it didn't really seem to have anything to do with the first, other than that main Rama dude fucking everybody up.

Also, what was the opening scene all about, the one with the dude getting kidnapped out in the fields? I didn't get that.

I think I liked the first one better.
676541, Some answers
Posted by bwood, Mon Apr-14-14 06:48 AM
>That mud fight was crazy. Pencak silat is such a badass
>discipline.
>
>Although, it didn't really seem to have anything to do with
>the first, other than that main Rama dude fucking everybody
>up.

Yea it does. Before he goes undercover, he takes the guy they captured from the first to the lead cop his brother said he can trust. From there the plot of this movie kicks in saying that they want to expose corruption on the force by having Rama go undercover. Mind you when he takes him to the only good cop boss, it's only 2 hours after what they went through in the first film. The first scratched the surface of corruption in Jarakta police force. This film picks up those pieces and explores it further. Unsuccessfully in my opinion.

>
>Also, what was the opening scene all about, the one with the
>dude getting kidnapped out in the fields? I didn't get that.

Rama's brother got caught helping police and was therefore executed. This is one of the reasons that Rama decides to go undercover.
>
>I think I liked the first one better.
676702, Ah, shit. I totally forgot he was the brother in Redemption.
Posted by Anfernee, Tue Apr-15-14 12:26 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, man.

Everything all makes sense now.
676539, ** SPOILERS** I doubt there will be a better action movie in 2014
Posted by dafriquan, Mon Apr-14-14 06:17 AM
When that dude was casually slitting throats of men while having a conversation, I was repulsed that I was enjoying such visceral violence. So much slashing and close quarter combat. I watched it on opening night with a bloodlusting audience that applauded after every good kill. It was great.

Some of the plot building was unnecessary(hired assasin misses his son and is chastised by his high fashion wife who still takes his blood stained money? Cry me a fcking river but I do not care) but the climax of Raid 2 was even better than the climax of Raid 1.

I really need to see the behind the scenes cause some of these stunts and fight scenes look painful and dangerous. They need a disclaimer saying. "No human beings were hurt in the making of this film" cause I was unsure after watching it...lol
676773, look, all I'mma say is this: I can't think of a better action flick
Posted by kayru99, Tue Apr-15-14 08:12 PM
and I've seen a ton of Asian, french, and american bad-ass movies.

This shit was NUTS.

That car chase with a fight scene in one of the cars..? C'mon, man.

Only comp this movie has, really, is its predecessor. And I like this one better.
676835, basically. if there's five pure action movies better than this one
Posted by will_5198, Wed Apr-16-14 07:56 PM
I'd really like to know them.
676787, action was incredible! But the story was a lil too slow for my taste..
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Apr-16-14 07:15 AM
dont get me wrong, the story was pretty well done... but pacing wise... I dont know...I guess thats just not what Im looking for in a movie like The Raid. It dont have to be non stop, ballz to the wall acton like the first one was. But it did feel like some of the scenes drug on a little too long. Like 30 min could have easily been edited out.

But as for fight scenes.... it gets no better than this!

Hammer Girl!!! Batman!!! And that kitchen fight... wow.
676836, masterpiece.
Posted by will_5198, Wed Apr-16-14 08:05 PM
cinematography, sound, choreography...all nearly perfect. the amazing part was 90 percent of the action being filmed with a hand-held, which is usually an appalling technique when Hollywood uses it. yet here it's amazingly fluid and easy to follow, so a big fuck you to every single director that's put shaky-cam-cut-ups on screen.

even the car chase made the Fast and Furious series look like an awful cartoon. a genre-defining film, and as trite a cliche as this, I doubt an action fan could have any more *fun* at the theater in 2014.
681967, this shit was so great. I really want a behind the scenes
Posted by astralblak, Thu Jul-10-14 09:28 PM
i love how dancerly yet violent the hand to hand fights were. they way they show how Pencak silat style breaks down the body with speed at close range is just mind boggling.

I didn't mind the story, i do think they could've gutted the bum/assassin story line, bu I enjoyed his fight scenes as well
681986, they could have still had the fight scene.....
Posted by KnowOne, Fri Jul-11-14 08:05 AM
with less background story line... just make him like Hammer Girl & Baseball dude.
682064, The behind the scenes stuff on the DVD
Posted by Numba_33, Sun Jul-13-14 09:21 AM
goes into good detail how the action scenes were choreographed, in particular the car chase scene. It came out last week Tuesday for folks that are interested.
682068, I got it thru redbox and they kill the extra dvd features
Posted by astralblak, Sun Jul-13-14 11:16 AM
You must buy to access
682186, Interesting you could do that with DVDs/blu-rays
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Jul-14-14 09:39 PM
I wonder how that works in terms of limiting features like that. Getting somewhat back to the original topic, it was interesting to see the camera operators physically move around for filming the actions scenes and the setups involved for the car chase scene.
682188, first part has been going on for several years
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jul-14-14 10:06 PM
studios just decided to stop including extra content on the rental copies they press for Netflix and Redbox. I don't blame them, it's the smallest of incentives they have left to push dying (dead?) DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

of course, it's rare to see many great extra features worth buying the home release for nowadays, at least compared to those special editions we'd get back in the DVD glory years.
682194, it's usually on the disc
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jul-14-14 11:21 PM
they just put a different menu on it.

if you put it in a computer / rip it etc. you can usually still find it.

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

682234, good to know
Posted by astralblak, Tue Jul-15-14 12:06 PM
681999, Fucking movie was absolutely amazing
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Jul-11-14 11:17 AM
I loved the first one, but not as much as a lot of my friends. But holy shit, this one was one of the most amazing action films I have ever seen in my life.

Marvel should get Evans on the phone immediately and ask him to bring Iko Uwais with him.
682032, If Iron Fist or Shang-Chi ever got a movie.....
Posted by rorschach, Sat Jul-12-14 12:13 AM
They should be the go-to combination. I know Uwais and his style is Indonesian but I think that could be forgiven.
682132, It was boring
Posted by SammyJankis, Mon Jul-14-14 10:26 AM
Liked the first one better
682249, You can say the first one was better.
Posted by PlanetInfinite, Tue Jul-15-14 01:45 PM
But to say it was boring is bullshit, man. C'mon.

i'm out.
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Tue Jul-15-14 01:43 PM
Bad idea I didn't go to bed til after 4am

This movie is AWESOME. Everything you need in an action movie with a decent plot. The first fight inside the prision bathroom stall, good lord.

The camera shots they used, hollywood directors are you taking note?
682757, I just seen raid redemption...that final fight scene
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Fri Jul-25-14 06:42 AM
With manny pacquiao fucking those 2 guys up

Yoooo I GOTS to see this now
682760, Not as good as the first, but good
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Jul-25-14 07:47 AM
This one was good but just didn't have the heart of the first one.

Still great though.
682762, best action movie i've ever seen
Posted by gumz, Fri Jul-25-14 07:59 AM
the cinematography was off the chain...i'd be amazed if this guy isn't getting calls from hollywood. the shit they did in this film is straight up amazing.
682771, It was great but I....
Posted by KnowOne, Fri Jul-25-14 02:33 PM
still put the first one as the "best action movie i've ever seen"
682792, no argument there, i love that one too
Posted by gumz, Fri Jul-25-14 09:48 PM
i think they upped the ante on the cinematography in this one though.
682797, the moves were too repetive in 1
Posted by xangeluvr, Sat Jul-26-14 12:32 AM
number 2 mixed it up much better, therefore, it gets the nod from me.
683099, This movie was everything I dreamed it would be
Posted by TruOne, Thu Jul-31-14 01:05 PM
683100, RE: The Raid 2: Berendal (Retaliation)[Evans, 2014]
Posted by ILL FLOW, Thu Jul-31-14 01:13 PM
The only way I can describe this film is... "Intense"
739126, watched this again today
Posted by will_5198, Sun Jul-26-20 08:11 PM
has there been a better action movie since? please point me in that direction, because the last 60 minutes here are *still* breathtakingly ridiculous.
739128, John Wick 3 goes pretty far, and steals old boy
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jul-27-20 04:05 AM
but man it still holds the fuck up

739140, Have you seen The Night Comes For Us yet?
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jul-28-20 11:21 AM
I'm not necessarily sure that it's *better*, but it's fucking incredible and, IIRC, more violent than The Raid movies. Amazing bone-crunching Indonesian martial arts movie.

Also, Mad Max: Fury Road.