Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHis friends started shooting one after he got the deal
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=664302&mesg_id=664354
664354, His friends started shooting one after he got the deal
Posted by mrhood75, Sun Oct-20-13 01:56 AM
At the beginning it sounded like a classic success story: Troy Duffy, the writer/director was from Boston and working as a bartender in L.A. Somehow Harvey Weinstein gets the script and loves it. He buys it from Duffy for like $300,000, signs him on as the director and gives him a $15 million budget to make the movie. Then he gets Duffy's band a record deal for his band, who will do the soundtrack for the film. Weinstein even buys the bar where Duffy works and says that they're going to run it together. So Duffy gets a couple of other aspiring film maker friends of his from Boston to come out and document what he figures will be his ascent to greatness. That's all the prologue.

What his friends soon discover that if you give an asshole a lot of money, what you get is an asshole with a lot of money. And everything turns to shit. Duffy pisses everyone off and burns every bridge in nearly record time. It's like watching a car crash, except you want the driver to die horribly.

It's not spectacular film making, but it's engrossing. 'Cause, hey, sometimes it's nice to watch an unrepentant asshole get everything he deserves. I only felt bad that he dragged his friends and even his family down with him.

So yeah, I have no interest in ever seeing Bondock Saints. But I like watching assholes get theirs.