Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectYo. Magneto should see through walls/clothing/flesh
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=659871
659871, Yo. Magneto should see through walls/clothing/flesh
Posted by Doronmonkflake, Thu Sep-05-13 05:18 AM
Why doesn't he use MRI vision?

It should be in his scope of power.
659885, Oh man, I love a good "how powers should work" thread
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Thu Sep-05-13 08:51 AM
That's a damned good example, dude.

Iceman is a classic reference-- when he uses his power, what is he doing but slowing down molecules? If he can slow them down, then it stands to reason that he could speed them up--suddenly he's Fireman whenever he needs to be.

Speaking of which, I find it hard to believe that the Xavier/Jean Grey school still has its accreditation. When was the last time someone left that place with a better understanding of their powers than when they went in? You're supposedly teachers--teach, motherfuckers.

Cyclops is thisclose to having the power of flight. All he needs is an adamantium umbrella and a kung-fu grip: http://i.stack.imgur.com/Rk59K.jpg

Is anyone up on the whole "punches from the punch dimension" meme? I think it started on 4chan's /co/ board and trickled down to the rest of the internet. Basically, the thinking is that Cyclops' eyes are a portal to another dimension, a dimension that is utterly empty, a total void, EXCEPT for the massive amounts of pure punch-energy (science!) that fill every cubic nano-inch. When he opens his eye portals, that energy flows through and blasts whatever he's looking at.

The whole reasoning is that if Cyclops was somehow generating his force beams within his head, his spinal cord would have turned to dust the first time he shot anything stronger than wicker patio furniture. If he shoots the side of a mountain, the basic laws of physics would require that his eye beams would force his head back at a frightening speed, unless he cut off the beam-flow (science!) before it reached its target. I know there's a better way to explain this, but I think you get it. Maybe.

Anyway, this: http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1353/55/1353557289419.jpg
659894, ...
Posted by Biggamal, Thu Sep-05-13 10:03 AM
Cyclops' mind generates a psionic field that is attuned to the forces that maintain the apertures. Because this field envelops his body, it automatically shunts the other-dimensional particles back into their point of origin when they collide with his body. Thus, his body is protected from the effects of the particles, and even the thin membranes of his eyelids are sufficient to block the emission of energy. The synthetic ruby quartz crystal used to fashion the lenses of Cyclops' eyewear is resonant to his minds' psionic field and is similarly protected.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/universe/Cyclops_(Scott_Summers)#ixzz2e1yTQ0tT
659901, Wait, punches from the punch dimension is canon? That's amazing.
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Thu Sep-05-13 11:20 AM
"Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a beam of heatless ruby-colored concussive force from his eyes, which act as inter-dimensional apertures between this universe and another."

That's some amazing comic-logic right there.

Also, this: "Due to a head injury, Cyclops is unable to shut off his optic blasts at will and must therefore wear ruby quartz lenses to block the beams."

Had no idea that a head injury was to blame for that. Didn't Morrison's run imply that Scott made a conscious decision to not be able to control his beams? I think it was when Cassandra Nova and Sublime were running roughshod over the mansion and through their bloodstreams. He flashed back to a moment where he chose to give himself the burden of not being in control, for reasons that always seemed a bit nebulous to me (guilt? martyr complex? fear?). If anyone remembers that shit better than me, please speak to it.

Also, the intern whose job it is to write that stuff up--it's either the best job in the world or one of the worst. I can't call it.
659931, RE: Oh man, I love a good "how powers should work" thread
Posted by Calico, Thu Sep-05-13 02:19 PM
>That's a damned good example, dude.
>
>Iceman is a classic reference-- when he uses his power, what
>is he doing but slowing down molecules? If he can slow them
>down, then it stands to reason that he could speed them
>up--suddenly he's Fireman whenever he needs to be.
>
Lord, i hope not....i hate the whole recurring theme of "bobby doesn't really even know what he can do" though....he's Omega level, so i'd love if people were more scared of him

>Speaking of which, I find it hard to believe that the
>Xavier/Jean Grey school still has its accreditation. When was
>the last time someone left that place with a better
>understanding of their powers than when they went in? You're
>supposedly teachers--teach, motherfuckers.
>
um, the majority of people who have come to the school have been helped and had their powers develop.....they "teach" thru the battlefield, and i'm sure they have no accredidation....

>Cyclops is thisclose to having the power of flight. All he
>needs is an adamantium umbrella and a kung-fu grip:
>http://i.stack.imgur.com/Rk59K.jpg
>
>Is anyone up on the whole "punches from the punch dimension"
>meme? I think it started on 4chan's /co/ board and trickled
>down to the rest of the internet. Basically, the thinking is
>that Cyclops' eyes are a portal to another dimension, a
>dimension that is utterly empty, a total void, EXCEPT for the
>massive amounts of pure punch-energy (science!) that fill
>every cubic nano-inch. When he opens his eye portals, that
>energy flows through and blasts whatever he's looking at.
>
>The whole reasoning is that if Cyclops was somehow generating
>his force beams within his head, his spinal cord would have
>turned to dust the first time he shot anything stronger than
>wicker patio furniture. If he shoots the side of a mountain,
>the basic laws of physics would require that his eye beams
>would force his head back at a frightening speed, unless he
>cut off the beam-flow (science!) before it reached its target.
>I know there's a better way to explain this, but I think you
>get it. Maybe.
>
>Anyway, this:
>http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1353/55/1353557289419.jpg
659938, It's posts like these that make me wonder how I'm a functional adult...
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Thu Sep-05-13 03:51 PM
>Lord, i hope not....i hate the whole recurring theme of "bobby
>doesn't really even know what he can do" though....he's Omega
>level, so i'd love if people were more scared of him

Well that's the thing...he's omega level because of what he CAN do, not because of what he does. Even Remender's X-Force run (Dark Archangel Saga) showed a version of Bobby that was far more interesting, just by virtue of figuring out new tricks. I know the whole "Bobby doesn't know how powerful he is" thing is fast approaching tired-meme territory, but until a writer actually DOES something with it...it's still true.

>um, the majority of people who have come to the school have
>been helped and had their powers develop.....they "teach" thru
>the battlefield, and i'm sure they have no accredidation....

Agree to disagree. Bobby's been there forever, and never learned anything new other than making himself look like jagged ice instead of frosty the snowman. Look at, say, Armor/Hisako. She projects this psionic energy armor. One time, when shit really hit the fan, she just made... a much bigger version of the armor. Basically, she's just projecting force. Why can't she use it almost like Green Lantern's light constructs, or Sue Storm's forcefields? Can she project them over anyone but herself? Maybe with some training. Rogue's been there 30 years and still can't fuck. Gambit still has to throw cards to fuck you up, and he's an energy manipulator of the highest order. He should be able to destroy worlds with his powerset. Galactus bringing you down? Fastball special Gambit onto his big purple nutsack and watch him make the universe's biggest fireworks show.

Speaking of Sue Storm, she should NOT be able to see when she's invisible. Ellis' Planetary dealt with this in his FF analogue, and she was totally blind when using her powers (how can light bounce off her retinas and allow her to see if she's invisible? I think that's the logic--English major speaking.)

ALSO--thinking of Armor, or Polaris/Magneto, or literally any super who projects force fields--why don't villains come through with fucking strobe light guns? You see that man floating in the sky in a purple bubble that bullets bounce off of? You do? Then that means light rays permeate his force field where bullets don't. Shine a fucking Maglite in his eyes until he's disoriented. If Magneto is floating up there in his invicbubble monologuing at you, guess what? Sound waves can pass through his bubble. Shoot him with some low-end, make him shit his pants. Think outside the box, people.

ALSO--Juggernaut's power is that he's unstoppable. Once he gets moving on solid ground, he can't be stopped. Okay. What if someone like Sue Storm or Magneto just enveloped him in a force bubble when he was in mid-air or something. Or float a chunk of turf up so that he's in your bubble, but standing on ground. Or make a fucking energy bra and slap it on his evil titties, and just hold it up in the air. Shit, you could just put a magic carpet underneath his feet and float him up in the air and he couldn't do shit about it. Can't get your unstoppable on if you're floating in midair. I'm not explaining this one well, but I inevitably end up picturing it when I'm laying in bed unable to sleep.

ALSO--and you can tell I think about Sue Storm a lot, not weird at all, whatever fuck you--she could be the world's greatest assassin. Facing some unfuckwithable horror monster like Fing Fan Foom or Terrax or something? just make a near-microscopic force bubble in his brain, and expand it to the size of a tennis ball. Villain brains = instant fucking potatoes.

It's all jokes, mostly, but I'm just saying I personally am very interested in characters exploring the pseudo-science behind their powers, and finding new ways to use them.

My favorite part of Alan Moore's MiracleMan is when he and wifey went out into an empty field and just fucked around with his powers, trying to figure out how they work (he's basically superman, if you're not familiar). At one point she had him throw a huge boulder a mile in the air and just let it land on his head. Now, even accepting that he's invulnerable, the boulder still should have driven him into the ground like a hammer driving a nail--MiracleMan is invincible, sure, but dirt isn't. Instead, it just burst over his head. They figured out that it's not that he can't be hurt because his skin, bones, and organs are strong--it's that he has this imperceptibly thin psionic field (man, that sure does seem to be the explanation for a lot of wonky comicbook science, doesn't it?) that covers his whole body, not letting anything through.
659953, That school also has the most dead students of
Posted by Deluge, Thu Sep-05-13 05:12 PM
any school ever.

Plus did anybody actually graduate there?
660065, Angel recently graduated and was promoted...
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Sep-06-13 01:48 PM
To teacher/recruiter.
660054, The descent would be a real problem.
Posted by Hitokiri, Fri Sep-06-13 11:50 AM
I mean, I know how he would do it. Stop firing and let himself fall... then blast to control the descent. But that would take fooooorever. He's better off in the jet.

>Cyclops is thisclose to having the power of flight. All he
>needs is an adamantium umbrella and a kung-fu grip:
>http://i.stack.imgur.com/Rk59K.jpg
660133, Why does it stand to reason that Iceman could speed up particles too?
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Sep-07-13 08:50 PM
I don't see the logic there.
659897, I love this post already.
Posted by PlanetInfinite, Thu Sep-05-13 10:24 AM

i'm out.
_____________________
"WHOLESALE REUSABLE GROCERY BAGS!!"
@etfp
659944, I just finished reading the Fatal Attractions shit
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Sep-05-13 04:04 PM
Where there's lots of talk of Mags fucking with the iron in people's blood to induce heart attacks or strokes. S.H.I.E.L.D. also built some suit that made the wearer invisible to Erik, some kinda way. It probably wouldn't take much for writers to add that to his power set once he gets them back on track.
659945, I always wanted a series "Kill Us if You Can"
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Sep-05-13 04:05 PM
Wolverine, Longshot & Magneto with the Beyonder as an alternate.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
659950, Ant Man/Giant Man should never get bigger than 15 ft tall
Posted by spades, Thu Sep-05-13 04:49 PM
at a certain point, the human body would collapse on itself. Let's not even talk about Johnny Storm. If he can turn his WHOLE body into fire. He's basically a matter manipulator. There should be NOT limit on what he can transmute into fire or ANY OTHER element.
659959, You all ever read Warren Ellis?
Posted by Mgmt, Thu Sep-05-13 05:54 PM
His books are full of this shit
660004, Yeah, I mentioned Ellis' Planetary above. It's a great example.
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Fri Sep-06-13 09:07 AM
That whole series has some fascinating powers discussion. His FF analogue, Ambrose Pierce's time abilities, the fiction universe, Snow's time in Africa, the nuclear experiments...damn, that's not even close to all of it.

Waid picked up a lot of the Moore MiracleMan stuff I talked about above in Irredeemable. Did it well, too.
659980, Probably hasn't figured out how to do it yet
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Thu Sep-05-13 10:47 PM

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510