Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectParkland (Landesman) - Giamatti, Efron, Thornton, Duplass, Livingston..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=659193&mesg_id=660274
660274, Parkland (Landesman) - Giamatti, Efron, Thornton, Duplass, Livingston..
Posted by dgonsh, Mon Sep-09-13 10:06 AM
Saw Parkland yesterday. It's very good. It tackles the JFK assassination from a very behind the scenes standpoint. It takes the perspective of the people behind the president, and also the people behind Lee Harvey.

Landesman has a voice in the film. He really enjoys showing the difference between tragedy documentation 50 years ago vs. today. The cat and mouse game for simply finding a processing office that could develop the film from the camera that Giamatti's character used to document the assassination. Stark difference from the instant Vine's that popped up in the Boston Marathon days.

Efron is fine in his role as a young doc at Parkland Hospital. He's the only character in the film I felt may have been miscast. Perhaps being surrounded by such a laundry list of brilliant actors was the problem. He just came off as too...modern. I didn't see him as a doc in 1963 like I saw Colin Hanks as his superior or as Marcia Gay Harden's nurse. He looked like Zac Efron with the 5 o'clock shadow.

The real star of this movie in my opinion James Badge Dale. He continues his decade of brilliant character roles in Parkland. I won't say anything about his role, because after the movie when talking to my gf, she didn't realize something about Dale's role that I did realize having seen the trailer. She did not see the trailer.

Anyway, its a solid flick. Landesman mentioned in his Q&A after the flick that he has no qualms about telling conspiracy theorists to essentially fuck off and that there is no conspiracy. Some of the conspiracy theorist questionnaires in the audience seemed a little offended by how lax he was about telling them they're respectfully full of shit. He also said he loves Oliver Stone and loves his JFK, but frankly, he was wrong. It was a very refreshing Q&A and I'd love to see more from Landsman in the future.