Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: can we talk about this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=657625&mesg_id=670975
670975, RE: can we talk about this
Posted by astralblak, Thu Jan-23-14 12:09 AM
>
>Message to white filmmakers-
>
>Some audiences don't identify with grumpy yuppies.
>
>We actually don't give a shit.
>
>This happens to me ALL the time.
>
>I couldn't connect to dude AT ALL.
>
>Not that my life is actually much different than his
>NOW, but 30 minutes of scenes with him staring off into
>space and looking deranged and confused...can't deal with it.
>
>
>I DO NOT NEED TRAGEDY or superfluous drama.
>
>But ZERO about this character connected to me.
>
>Like, 3 of my black friends, 2 of them yuppies, said the
>same thing:
>
>"Man, who cares about this sissy ass dude walking around
>like that."
>
>Its cultural. We've all had our hearts broken, it hurts.
>
>But there are ways to make this shit happen on a landscape
>with more relate-able characters.

I feel so alone when I bring this up. Few seem to understand that after the macho western cowboy or mafiaso faded from the cultural imagination, he got replaced by variations of Jaoquin's character. they are literally every where.

I brought this up in one of my graduate courses and people, in particular white women, lost their shit. I don't give a flying fuck about a sulking, nerdy, white dude who doesn't know how to relate to women and crushes / falls in love them for that/those very reasons.

I'm a Blaxican from a working class (not poor/ghetto) background, who is educated and I rarely connect with today's main male characters within cinema. Maybe it's one reason I loved Fruitvale so much, because I saw myself or my cousins and friends in all their nuance. But of course there were weirdos who thought Michal B. Jordan/Coogler's Oscar was "ham-fisted" and just "too much of a do-gooder", which I believe is the racist inversion of what you speaking about.

look up top, I really liked this movie, but for many different reasons. Like you, I'm tired of the egg-head, head case, struggling to get his dick hard (cause of some past pussy or his hard as nails daddy)