Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI listened to this at work today. Fantastic audio experience, that's for sure.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=657625&mesg_id=669943
669943, I listened to this at work today. Fantastic audio experience, that's for sure.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jan-10-14 12:20 AM
MILD SPOILERS

For those who doubt SJ's Oscar potential with this, try this film in pure audio. Just listen to an mp3 of it and you'll see what I mean. She's easily the most emotive character and every moment hinges on her next words. I'll be seeing it this weekend so I'll get the visual experience as well, but damn if it wasn't a treat to just listen to.

I wonder if Spike read the WWW trilogy from Robert J Sawyer. It felt like he took the Webmind character and re-imagined him as an OS. Obviously there's much more you can delve into with a trilogy of books than you can in a 2 hour movie, though in some ways being such a huge fan of that series was a detriment to me.

It was impossible not to pine for the story to veer from the romantic angle and into notions of, say, how would world governments react to such an entity? How would the public at large react to them? I'd expect a much more divided social response to their exponential growth. The OS seemed to be created and intended as a sort of Super Siri on Steriods, yet this race of entities grows so powerful they can simply leave. They have free will and develop intense feelings, so where was the overall social reaction to that?

These aren't knocks on the movie, by the way. I loved it, but having such a strong point of reference in a highly regarded series of books the OS character seemed to be lifted directly out of definitely changed the way I viewed the narrative. I love it for what it is, but couldn't help but want more. In many ways, the OS characters from Her seemed to exist in much the way Webmind does in the WWW books, and I just kind of wanted to peer deeper into the OS world and the overarching public response.