Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectDa Sweet Blood of Jesus (Spike Lee, 2015)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=656362
656362, Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (Spike Lee, 2015)
Posted by Buck, Mon Jul-22-13 11:49 AM
Spike will put you in his next joint for $1000.

For $10K he'll take you to a Knicks game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spikelee/the-newest-hottest-spike-lee-joint
656366, Why did I hate this when Braff did it....
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Jul-22-13 12:20 PM
...but I'm almost willing to open up my own wallet for Spike?
656374, Because Spike is an important figure in the history of filmmaking...
Posted by Buck, Mon Jul-22-13 01:26 PM
...and Zach Braff is that dude from Scrubs.
656385, Tis a very good point.
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Jul-22-13 02:15 PM
656421, CISM
Posted by Effa, Mon Jul-22-13 07:13 PM
656373, Cool, but shitty that it has to come to this...
Posted by The Analyst, Mon Jul-22-13 01:14 PM
Filmmakers with the pedigree of Spike Lee shouldn't have to scrounge around for nickels and dimes to make a presumably low budget indie.

A studio somewhere couldn't break him off $5M in hopes that between boxoffice, home video, cable, etc. that they'd clear, like, $10M? Shit, it's peanuts in movie money, but it's still a 100% profit...
656377, RE: Cool, but shitty that it has to come to this...
Posted by princeguy, Mon Jul-22-13 01:45 PM
It's not scrounging for money. It's US investing in US. It's making things happen.

We have to truly mature into this type of thought process.

If we want something.....BUILD IT, MAKE IT, CREATE IT, OWN IT, AND FINANCE AND INVEST IN IT.

We need to collectively do MORE VENTURES like this. Anything we want, we should back it by Investing into it to make it real and give it LIFE.

We should start an "ownership group" era and let it be our generational legacy. The previous generations have their legacy of advancing civil rights, ours should be investments, ownership, & control. It's the next best step.

I invested and I will invest more. Let's make this happen.

656382, Red Hook Summer didn't even clear 350k at the b.o.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-22-13 02:12 PM
Unfortunately, Spike Lee has shown as of late that there isn't a big audience for movies that are also written by Spike Lee. The last one to clear 2.5 mil at the box office that he also wrote was Summer of Sam fifteen years ago.
656394, RE: Red Hook Summer didn't even clear 350k at the b.o.
Posted by princeguy, Mon Jul-22-13 03:42 PM
I honestly don't think Spike was trying to make a lotta money when he made Red Hook Summer. It only showed in a handful of theaters anyway.

Some things are just as important as money.

Respect. Legacy. Being able to see ourselves in cinema, on and off screen. Human stories. Stories with landscapes that resonates with us.

Overall, us implementing a sense of creation and building for ourselves, and not waiting on a detached studio exec to make and create for us.

Frank, don't try to shit on this man. Don't just think of this with a Hollywood box office eye. There is great importance for us in regards to creating and building for ourselves. Cinema is just one area. It's the thought process that is the important thing. We have to do for us and not wait on someone else's money.

Want a movie about 2Pac's life? Let's get together and make it happen. Want to see a movie about Marcus Garvey, make it, plant the seed. Want to see the story of how Jay-Z ascended his circumstances to become a successful businessman, then let's make it. Let's invest in it, and make it, build it, and create it.

Spike's efforts here may be the seed we need to plant.

656398, He's not.
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Jul-22-13 04:33 PM
>Frank, don't try to shit on this man.

He's just saying why someone of Spike's pedigree has to do a Kickstarter in 2013.
656400, ^^^ this. I'm for any and all Kickstarters.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-22-13 04:50 PM
>>Frank, don't try to shit on this man.
>
>He's just saying why someone of Spike's pedigree has to do a
>Kickstarter in 2013.
656403, RE: ^^^ this. I'm for any and all Kickstarters.
Posted by princeguy, Mon Jul-22-13 05:10 PM
I feel you Frank.

Thanks bro. Respect.

I just think we gotta see it with a forward fresh eye, and not the Hollywood box office, or the elitist film snob "eye". It shouldn't be embarrassing to raise money this way. I think that's sort of the Hollywood image "eye" to see it that way. That probably stops some folks from even trying this method.

Maybe this is the future of indie film making. Maybe someone of Spike's pedigree doing it this way will get some of the "long shot" movies made. Movies that would otherwise never see the light of day because they aren't modeled after the big blockbuster money-makers.

Maybe his pedigree will give this method more credence, instead of his pedigree and image taking a hit FROM doing it THIS WAY.

Instead of a few rich investors, you take it to the audience. I like the concept. This is new innovative thinking. This is how we have 2 think in these times.

656409, what was the last quality script Spike wrote? I think he sorta ran
Posted by Bombastic, Mon Jul-22-13 05:50 PM
out of things to say on that level shortly after 'Crooklyn' but he's still a great director, he should settle into the 25th Hour/Inside Man features & keep up the documentary work (all of which have been great aside from that 'Kobe Doin' Work' garbage).

I haven't seen Red Hook but I haven't heard a single good thing about it & I won't even talk about the script he wrote before that because that was not only Spike's worst film but one of the worst movies I've ever seen from a reputable filmmaker in my life.
656423, This is where I am with it. Outside of the Bean dis.
Posted by bignick, Mon Jul-22-13 07:20 PM
656436, fandom/hate aside tho, we can agree its his worst doc hes done right?
Posted by Bombastic, Mon Jul-22-13 10:59 PM
I got it at:

Four Little Girls
When The Levees Broke
If God Is Willing & The Creek Don't Rise
Original Kings Of Comedy
Jim Brown: All-American
Doin' Work
656439, I mean, easily.
Posted by bignick, Mon Jul-22-13 11:37 PM
It didn't turn out that great, but I thought the idea of Kobe Doin' Work was great, but the execution just felt like one long Nike commercial.
656433, Cosign all of this, sadly.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-22-13 10:13 PM
Red Hook Summer sort of killed my hopes of another quality Spike script.
656450, Damn "She Hate Me" was the last joint he wrote before "Redhook"?
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Jul-23-13 09:46 AM
I just re-watched "She Hate Me" a few weeks ago on HBO. Still one of the worst flicks I've seen from a director that I love.

There was so much bullshit thrown in there.

I remember when it dropped and some PTP'ers liked it too. That laid down the groundwork for me knowing that some PTP'ers just love to argue.
681182, I liked it, just like I liked Red Hook
Posted by astralblak, Tue Jun-24-14 10:05 AM
Great, hell no. Flawed, absolutely. But I enjoyed the themes explored and the feel of both films
656388, i'm in
Posted by lfresh, Mon Jul-22-13 02:54 PM
not for $1000 though

he'l get what everyone else gets
what i can spare
and best of luck to him

=)
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
656413, I'm contributing because I love Spike. I worked for Spike, literally.
Posted by Castro, Mon Jul-22-13 06:24 PM
but I'm vexed that with his filmography that he can't get the loot...shit if anything, Jimmy Dolan should hit him off for being the best PR man for the Knicks.
656417, To all who are saying that this is sad...
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jul-22-13 06:55 PM
No, it's not.

It's a guy who realizes he has a voice and an audience of people who will finance the movie he wants to make without having to deal with investors who will get in the way of the movie. Spike's probably had to deal with enough shit from investors/studios over the year. I think it was great when Braff did it, and I think it's awesome Spike's doing it.

It's not "begging"...it's essentially having people pre-pay for a movie or get some cool perks.

Feels like the future to me, honestly.
656434, ^^^^this
Posted by Buck, Mon Jul-22-13 10:37 PM
>Feels like the future to me, honestly.

I've helped finance a couple of albums this way too (at pledgemusic.com), by signed bands who wanted to do something off-label.

Great funding model, IMO. Eliminates the middleman.

656992, RE: To all who are saying that this is sad...
Posted by The Analyst, Mon Jul-29-13 01:43 PM
>No, it's not.

It depends how you look at it. When I see studios doling out tens of millions of dollars - and in some cases, hundreds of millions of dollars - to hack directors to make shitty paint-by-the-numbers action movies, I think it's a little sad *in comparison* that a great filmmaker like Spike can't even a super low-budget affair like this financed for 1.25M using traditional means.

>It's a guy who realizes he has a voice and an audience of
>people who will finance the movie he wants to make without
>having to deal with investors who will get in the way of the
>movie. Spike's probably had to deal with enough shit from
>investors/studios over the year. I think it was great when
>Braff did it, and I think it's awesome Spike's doing it.
>
>It's not "begging"...it's essentially having people pre-pay
>for a movie or get some cool perks.
>
>Feels like the future to me, honestly.

I don't know. I can't decide how I feel about it. I might end up throwing Spike a few bucks just because I'm a fan. I still kind of feel a certain way about asking fans to shoulder the burden of financing a movie. I recognize the pros but I think there could be some cons down the road with this. Just seems like there's some potential for this kind of thing to become a slippery slope.

The "future" to could very easily be studios figuring out a way to take advantage of this shit to get super fans to finance a chunk of their movies and defray their costs. In fact, I'd be shocked if they don't have folks hard at work figuring that shit out as we speak...

656998, I mean, look at the phrase you're using. "Shoulder the burden?" Really?
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Jul-29-13 02:04 PM
____________________________________________________________________________________________
But Zootown, black people and media, so...
657003, I don't really know what your point is.
Posted by The Analyst, Mon Jul-29-13 02:54 PM
Firstly, I think setting out to raise a few million dollars can be considered a burden. At the very least, it's a pretty big challenge. Isn't he asking his fans to help him meet that challenge?

Secondly, I didn't criticize Spike in any of my posts. In fact, in my first post in here I said "Cool, but shitty it has to come to this." I laud him, I hope he gets his doe, and I hope his movie turns out good. I also said I was probably going to throw him a few bucks. (The signed Malcolm X poster sounds cool, but not sure I can afford to drop $150 on it...)

My criticism was of the state of the industry that apparently won't fund small budgets for visionary filmmakers but has no problem spending hundreds of millions on hack-helmed bullshit all summer, every summer.

To me, the ideal scenario still is, financier provides money, Spike delivers the goods, we all go see it, profits result, everybody wins.

This model raises some questions for me. What if zillionaires like Tom Cruise or Will Smith attempted to make a mid-budget movie via crowd-funding. Or what if a middle-of-the-road director (box office-wise), like, god forbid, Quentin Tarantino, tried to go this route.

Do we really want US, the fans, to be responsible for raising money for films we want to see?

In theory, if Zack Braff raises $3M and his film then recoups the budget in box office receipts, do the donors get to recoup their money? I doubt it, but why shouldn't they? Why should Braff ride off into the sunset with all of his profits? Why should he get all the reward when he didn't have to assume any of the risk?

I hate to put a cold "dollars and cents" spin on it when it's supposed to be all about the art and whatnot, but this whole conversation is about money, so it is what it is.

657008, You said you "felt a certain way" about "asking fans to shoulder
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Jul-29-13 03:51 PM
the burden" of financing a movie. To me, that's a bit heavy-handed.

THAT's my point.

If it wasn't meant to be, then say "why is he asking people to chip in on this project, I think it's going to lead to a slippery slope" instead of describing it as "asking fans to shoulder the burden"

And not only is the statement heavy-handed, it's also rather presumptuous. You don't know if Spike has plans to match the donations or not.

And I'm fully aware of what the conversation's about, which is why I took issue with your comment.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
657013, Totally fair response. I wasn't really clear enough intially...
Posted by The Analyst, Mon Jul-29-13 04:25 PM
In the parts you quoted, I was referring *in general* to some questions I had about established folks (and hopefully not studios someday) using crowd-funding, not really about Spike's venture specifically.

Like I said, I support Spike here in theory and am considering contributing financially, just not sure of where it will all lead big-picture wise.

656441, this is dope, im contributing
Posted by bloocollar, Tue Jul-23-13 12:47 AM
656448, How much for featuring me in a dance intro inspired by DotheRightThing?
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Jul-23-13 09:22 AM
I'm envisioning 7 minutes of me doing the Roger Rabbit while Rosie Perez shoots me with a Super Soaker.
656462, "Lots of butt-naked black people"/"a focus on blood addiction" (swipe)
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Jul-23-13 11:49 AM
This is a preview of an interview (wtf) that has Spike giving us more details on the project...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/spike-lee-answers-your-questions-about-his-kickstarter-campaign-calls-it-sexy-racy-thriller

>Spike Lee Answers Your Questions About His Kickstarter Campaign: Calls It 'Sexy, Racy Thriller'

INTERVIEWS BY TAMBAY A. OBENSON

As I noted yesterday, a couple of weeks ago, I received an email alerting me to an upcoming big announcement Spike Lee was scheduled to make at his 40 Acres Brooklyn office. We (the press) were to congregate there last week Monday to witness firsthand what Spike's revelation was to be. The announcement got pushed back to this week (to this morning, actually), and Jasmin was there to get the details for S&A.

Needless to say, the big announcement is/was the launch of a Kickstarter campaign to raise $1.25 million to fund his next feature film, which I already shared last night.

BUT, Jasmin spoke to Spike directly, asking him questions that many of us have about the mystery project and campaign - like, what the heck the film is about, given that, on the project's Kickstarter page, he doesn't give anything away about what we can expect, instead resting on the belief that his lengthy resume should be enough to encourage fans to have faith and confidence in his abilities as a filmmaker and storyteller, and contribute to the campaign.

Here's a summary of Jasmin's chat with Spike. She will post a full write-up of the conversation once she's transcribed it all, so look for that in the next day or three.

In the meantime, here are what I feel were the most interesting revelations he made during that interview:

- First, in response to what the film will be about, Spike calls it a sexy thriller with lots of "butt-naked black people," and a focus on blood addiction. Although he emphasizes that it's not a vampire movie, adding that it's going to be racy, apparently the raciest thing he's ever done. I keep thinking of Ganja And Hess as I type this up, although, based on Spike's limited description, that film probably won't be as racy as what Spike has in mind. I also believe that the "blood addiction" he mentions is probably more an allegory or metaphor, and expect that Spike will be going for something much deeper than just blood-sucking humans.

- Stylistically, he says that he's going for "something new," although some of the usual Spike-isms will be incorporated, like his famous dolly shot.

- He says that shooting will take place in Brooklyn, NY.

- No talent is attached yet, although he says that he's looking to break in new talent both in front of and behind the camera, and that he wants this to be a community project, with a local emphasis.

- If he doesn't raise the $1.25 million, he'll find a way to get it done. He's "in it to win it" and definitely plans to make the film one way or another.

- As for why this project, and why now, his answer was that, essentially, it's a budget thing. This is what he's able to do now. I suppose it's either this, or wait several more years before he's able to get backing for a larger project that would required a lot more money. But more on that from Jasmin in her post later.

- In response to some of your complaints about celebrities like him taking to Kickstarter to finance projects, Spike stresses the fact that, as he states, there's this big misconception that he has the money and/or access to the money necessary to finance this project. He stresses that it's nowhere as easy to find the money to finance his projects as some believe. He gave examples of his past struggles in trying to raise financing for several previous projects, but wasn't able to. He also agreed that the racy subject matter of this particular film doesn't help matters either, and admitted that his being outspoken probably has had a negative impact on his career as a filmmaker, notably when it comes to getting films made.

- He shared that Steven Soderbergh has kicked in $10,000 of his own money to help the project reach its Kickstarter campaign goal.

- He realizes that he's essentially an experiment for black celebs on Kickstarter, at this level. Prior to today, the only other high profile fundraising campaign by a black celeb, asking for a 7-figure sum, was Shemar Moore's failed Kickstarter attempt to raise $1.5 million for a rom-com. He eventually took to IndieGoGo to raise about a 3rd of that amount, and, thus far, with 5 days left, is about $160,000 shy of reaching his $500,000 goal. The difference here though is that, with IndieGoGo, he gets to keep whatever he raises, minus IndieGoGo's percentage.

- And finally, regarding his release strategy for this mystery "blood adiction" film with lots of "butt-naked black people" in it, Spike says that he certainly doesn't expect a huge release, and, like most films at its budget-level, sees a pick-up by one of the smaller distributors, and an eventual solid box office return for a film of its ilk.

So that's it for now! Like I said, look for Jasmin's full write-up of their conversation before the end of the week, I'd imagine.

One thing that immediately comes to mind is, why he didn't use IndieGoGo instead, if he says he plans to make the film whether the Kickstarter campaign is successful or not. With Kickstarter, as opposed to IndieGoGo, if a campaign doesn't reach its goal, the project gets none of whatever is contributed. So even if Spike's Kickstarter campaign raises $1.1 million of the $1.2 million he's asking for, he won't see any of that $1.1 million raised. Whereas, if he used IndieGoGo instead, he gets to keep whatever is contributed. If his goal is to see the film through production one way or another, whether his Kickstarter campaign is successful or not, why not go with IndieGoGo, get what he can there, and find the rest of the money elsewhere?

At the time of this post, his Kickstarter campaign has raised just over $90,000. So there's still a very long way to go, with 28 days left in the campaign. To compare, Zach Braff's Kickstarter campaign raised several hundred thousand dollars within the first 24 hours after it went live. He got to a million within a day or two, as I recall.

As Spike said, he's an experiment for high profile black celebrity projects on Kickstarter, so this is something to watch closely, and I certainly will be.

________________________________________________________________________________________
656480, Good guy Soderbergh kicked in 10K.
Posted by bignick, Tue Jul-23-13 03:11 PM
http://www.vulture.com/2013/07/soderbergh-donated-10k-to-spikes-kickstarter.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Yesterday, we learned that Spike Lee was trying to use Kickstarter to fund his next film. We noted the super-cool biggest giveaway: For $10,000, Lee will take you to dinner and then a Knicks game, where you'll sit with him courtside. Well, three people have made $10,000 pledges already and one was director Steven Soderbergh. The two have been friendly since 1989, when they both had films at Cannes (Sex, Lies and Videotape and Do the Right Thing). Lee told Next Movie he " even know if he likes sports," but is "really humbled with Steven coming on board." Lee assumes the other two big spenders are "finance guys," but we're going to pretend it was David O. Russell and one of the Coen brothers, because, frankly, that would be cuter.
656960, That's the best thing he's done since The Informant!.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-29-13 11:01 AM
656964, The Informant is fucking great!
Posted by bignick, Mon Jul-29-13 11:15 AM
656967, Easily the best thing he's done in the last decade IMO.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-29-13 11:20 AM
656997, Then writes a post giving Spike credit for his success (swipe)
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Jul-29-13 02:04 PM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spikelee/the-newest-hottest-spike-lee-joint/posts/552070

>Why I Back Spike Lee By Steven Soderbergh

Update #9 · Jul 27, 2013

The 80s was not a great decade for American cinema; with some exceptions, the filmmakers responsible for the American New Wave that began in the latter part of the sixties had either burned out, self-destructed, or lost their way creatively, and the increasingly corporate-controlled studios weren’t really cultivating the kind of bold, idiosyncratic films that made me want to make films. It felt like the sense of what was possible had shrunk, and I worried about my future. Every so often, however, an independent film (or filmmaker) would emerge that felt connected to both those recent, great American films and to great cinema from around the world, and as I was attempting to find my own voice and place in the film world, three independent American filmmakers in particular attracted my attention and expanded my idea of what was possible; David Lynch, Jim Jarmusch, and Spike Lee. These were distinctive new voices, and the freedom (and success) they represented was liberating and energizing; these were shoulders I would try to stand on, that I would be proud to stand on.

Certain filmmakers exist outside the traditional parameters of criticism; their point of view and body of work make discussions about individual films interesting but ultimately irrelevant because each project is merely a chapter in a very long book that must (and will) be acknowledged and appreciated for its breadth, ambition, and contributions to the art of cinema. For me, Spike Lee is one of those filmmakers. He is a totally unique figure in American cinema, and he’s always gone his own way and spoken his mind (even when the commercial stakes were high), qualities which are in short supply in the film business. I know Spike’s films better than I know Spike (maybe the Knicks game with help with that), but we’re friendly enough for me to say I respect him as person as well as a filmmaker.

So, in case you haven’t figured it out already, this is why I’m supporting Spike on Kickstarter:

1. Spike’s success helped make my success possible.

2. Spike has earned my attention because of his body of work and its distinct point of view.

3. You should support your friends.

Now let’s light this candle!

Peace

SS

__________________________________________________________________________________________
656950, I am pretty sure it is illegal to charge people to be in a movie
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jul-29-13 10:14 AM
I remember some studios got into trouble when they had contests doing that.

"naive as the dry leaves on the ground looking past the trees to the blue sky asking 'why me?'" -Blu

Why I still fuzz with the Lesson
http://open.spotify.com/user/brothersport86/playlist/3DhEhilho77Z0UCPbJlEJf
656957, There's a word in your sentence that doesn't apply here.
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Jul-29-13 10:34 AM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
656996, Spike answers the critic's questions in a Kickstarter update (swipe)
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Jul-29-13 02:02 PM
Disagree and get as upset about the answers as much as you need to, but at least he's (kinda) not running from the questions...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spikelee/the-newest-hottest-spike-lee-joint/posts/553037?ref=email&show_token=71c4a0a4424b2119

>Project Update #10: Here are 4 Major Questions I’m being asked and I’m responding to them the best way I know – with an HONEST ANSWER.

Posted by Spike Lee

QUESTION #1 – Why are you on Kickstarter? You’re an established wealthy Filmmaker!

I’m an Indie Filmmaker and I will always be an Indie Filmmaker. Indie Filmmakers are always in search of financing because their work, their vision sometimes does not coincide with Studio Pictures. But I do put my own money in my films. I self-financed RED HOOK SUMMER. My fee for MALCOLM X was put back into the budget. The truth is I’ve been doing KICKSTARTER before there was KICKSTARTER, there was no Internet. Social Media was writing letters, making phone calls, beating the bushes. I’m now using TECHNOLOGY with what I’ve been doing.

I had to do a PRE-KICKSTARTER Campaign to get my first feature SHE’S GOTTA HAVE IT done way back in 1985. The budget was $175,000. I Had to do a PRE-KICKSTARTER Campaign to get MALCOLM X finished in 1991 when the production ran out of money. It was people like: PRINCE, JANET JACKSON, TRACY CHAPMAN, PEGGY COOPER, CAY FRITZ, MS. WINFREY, MAGIC JOHNSON AND MICHAEL JORDAN who STOOD UP, came to our rescue so you could see the MALCOLM X on screen we envisioned. I daresay without that PRE-KICKSTARTER approach Denzel’s epic performance in it’s entirety would not have seen the light of day. I say this all to say, what we are doing on KICKSTARTER is not new. Indie Filmmmakers need MONEY to do their ART. The ARTFORM of FILM COSTS MONEY. We are appealing to people who have enjoyed and supported my work in the past and would like it to continue into the FUTURE.

QUESTION #2 – You have never backed anyone on KICKSTARTER so why should we expect you to support us.

For the past 15 years I’ve been a Professor of Film at The NYU Graduate Film School and the Artistic Director for the last 5. What people do not know is that I’ve had a SPIKE LEE PRODUCTION FUND to assist NYU GRAD FILM STUDENTS with grants to do their FILMS. Since the 1989/90 NYU School Year I have given out Production Grants to 44 NYU GRAD FILM students totally over $300,000.

I did not give back KICKSTARTER in the past because I was backing my NYU students. Now that I’m on KICKSTARTER that will change. This narrative that I’m greedy, do not support, care or nurture young Filmmakers is so far from the truth it’s not even funny. I would not be teaching FILM for as long as I have if I didn’t care about young Filmmakers.

QUESTION #3 – Spike, you on KICKSTARTER is hurting the young filmmakers.

This is another fallacy. The fact of the matter is I’m bringing exposure to KICKSTARTER, backers to KICKSTARTER who have never even heard of KICKSTARTER before. The same was true of the VERONICA MARS and ZACH BRAFF’S projects. There was also a study done that had data to prove we did not hurt the young filmmakers on KICKSTARTER either.

QUESTION #4 – Why are you not more forthcoming on the Details of your KICKSTARTER Project?

The reason I have not disclosed more info on the story is because: It’s a THRILLER. In order for a film of this type to work the less details the better for this Film to work with the Audience, they can’t know a whole lot before they sit down in a Theatre to see it. Yeah I know, I’m asking for BACKERS for a film they don’t know a lot about. My answer to that is TRUST ME. I hope you have seen some things over the past 3 decades making FILMS that can earn your TRUST.

What I can tell you is this. I have never made a film like this and it excites me very much. I’m doing a semi-genre film about ADDICTION. These people are ADDICTED to BLOOD. Yet however they are not VAMPIRES. It’s going to be SEXY, HUMOROUS and BLOODY. To me that’s a unique combination.

I hope my answers to your questions have been provided the information you asked for. I totally understand how strange it might seem to look for me, Spike Lee on KICKSTARTER asking for BACKERS. I say – welcome to THE WORLD OF CROWDFUNDING. Whether you like it or not it is not going away. The FUTURE is here.

I deeply appreciate everyone and I mean everyone who has stood up, backed our PROJECT so we can MAKE HISTORY.

Peace and Love,
Spike Lee - Filmmaker

_________________________________________________________________________________________
663986, *sighs* "Da Blood of Jesus," Spike?
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Oct-15-13 01:40 PM
*sighs again*

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive-Aggressive is the new Hurt Feelings!
681123, I saw this movie tonight. If spike is lucky you'll never see it.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sun Jun-22-14 11:48 PM
Quite possible the worst movie I have ever seen. No exaggeration. It was repulsive. I left with my stomach hurting. There was a steady stream of people walking out of it. We. Stayed as long as did because we were just trying to figure out what the movie was about. There is something seriously wrong with spike lee. The thought crossed my mind that maybe he has suffered a stroke.

I can't begin to convey how bad this movie was but to give you an inkling snoop from the wire played a hooker and we had to listen to her try to be seductive, talk dirty and eventually saw her naked for waay to long. Want to know what snoop looks like naked? The you and spike and no one else have that in common (hint: imagine a 15 year old boy with small flat boobs).

Not a single recognizable human character. Not a single line of dialogue I could imagine a human uttering. Deeply mysogonistic. I had to leave on a scene involving a baby.

If it weren't a black film festival, he would have been boo'd. Can't wait to see what shadow and act write tomorrow.
"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/blackpeopleonlocalnews
681142, Some critics actually have had good things to say:
Posted by The Analyst, Mon Jun-23-14 12:26 PM
Seems extremely polarizing though:

David Ehrlich on twitter: "DA SWEET BLOOD OF JESUS: ecstatically unsupervised silly/serious hot black vampire Gatsby story of violence disguised as salvation. loved it."

Jason Bailey: "And look, I'm a Spike apologist. But this movie is bafflingly bad. Incoherent, incompetent... It's astonishing."

Here's a link:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/spike-lee-da-sweet-blood-of-jesus-vampire-review
681191, Yeah, it appears that reviews are mixed at this point
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Jun-24-14 01:27 PM
Almost all the ones I've seen mention that the movie is essentially a remake of the 1973 film Ganja & Hess by Bill Gunn; Gunn apparently even gets a co-writing credit on this

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Funcrusher Plus
691170, ah thanks
Posted by lfresh, Tue Jan-13-15 10:47 AM
>Almost all the ones I've seen mention that the movie is
>essentially a remake of the 1973 film Ganja & Hess by Bill
>Gunn; Gunn apparently even gets a co-writing credit on this
>

i'll go in with that in mind
will probably help

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
681221, 2 quick questions
Posted by DVS, Wed Jun-25-14 06:56 AM
1. How does it compare to "Red Hook Summer"? I ask because I couldn't watch that movie outside of ONE sequence that was outstanding.

2. is there any equivalent sequence you saw before you left.

Honestly...I wish Spike would just give up the mic and EP and teach the new vanguard. His writing skills, which were always shaky....have now gotten old and bitter.

D
691164, RE: 2 quick questions
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Jan-13-15 10:10 AM
>1. How does it compare to "Red Hook Summer"? I ask because I
>couldn't watch that movie outside of ONE sequence that was
>outstanding.

Red Hook Summer was slightly better. 45 minutes into that I felt like I new what I was watching.

That he made these two movies back to back makes me feel like he has completely lost his touch. He needs to do a standard conventional story to prove that he still knows how to direct (like an Inside Man).

Otherwise I don't see how anyone can give him another project after these two abortion of movies.

>
>2. is there any equivalent sequence you saw before you left.

I am not sure what sequence you are talking about so I don't know if there was an equivalent sequence in this movie.

>
>Honestly...I wish Spike would just give up the mic and EP and
>teach the new vanguard. His writing skills, which were always
>shaky....have now gotten old and bitter.
>

He is teaching at NYU and has put some people on so at least he is doing that.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/
691053, Oh shit I got my link to stream this for 48 hours
Posted by ZooTown74, Sun Jan-11-15 03:47 PM
Which means since I put the money in, that I get the link

And which also means I'm not sharing it with you niggas

I'ma watch it later and report back

Wish I had seen the original first tho

Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Jan-12-15 01:22 AM
________________________________________________________________________________
Your typing ain't as "incendiary" as you think it is.
691089, That's what you get for gloatin' nigga.
Posted by bwood, Mon Jan-12-15 09:24 AM
691178, lofl
Posted by astralblak, Tue Jan-13-15 12:20 PM
691182, the pot kettle of that response
Posted by lfresh, Tue Jan-13-15 12:58 PM
man listen

LOL
~~~~
~~~~
691186, Hey, In Bwood's defense we get a quickie review
Posted by BigReg, Tue Jan-13-15 01:35 PM
when he's doing lines with Leo Dicaprio. Zoo was on that *Heats up jiffy pop, pops coke bottle, leans back in couch*
691190, Speaking of, that picture I got with Leo and Scorsese last year
Posted by bwood, Tue Jan-13-15 01:45 PM
at my guild's gala has gotten me so much play.
691198, and he actually gets in
Posted by lfresh, Tue Jan-13-15 05:16 PM
i laughed though
then i cried a bit

~~~~
~~~~
691188, Oh I'm not mad at all. Just sometimes you should watch it before
Posted by bwood, Tue Jan-13-15 01:40 PM
showboating.
691197, o...theres a method to this?
Posted by lfresh, Tue Jan-13-15 05:16 PM
although admittedly that does seem to be common sense

step 1.
actually gain access, watch
step 2.
showboat

http://www.dpccars.com/gallery/var/albums/Motorcycle-Stunt-Gifs/Motorcycle%20Stunt%20Gif%20-%2001.gif?m=1394818283

~~~~
~~~~
691196, thanks again Zoo
Posted by lfresh, Tue Jan-13-15 05:06 PM
ran across this as a prep for watching as well

http://watchloud.com/5-questions-spike-lees-da-sweet-blood-jesus/

~~~~
~~~~
691212, you can pay to watch on Vimeo
Posted by astralblak, Tue Jan-13-15 09:13 PM
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/dasweetbloodofjesus
691240, hrm
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jan-14-15 11:59 AM

~~~~
~~~~
691224, Ok, I seent it, so showboat these nuts, bwoods. Big Reg, too.
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Jan-14-15 01:31 AM
Turns out I was using the wrong browser (Chrome works best)

Now, about the movie. It is messy. Scratch that, it is MESSY. I still have yet to see Ganja and Hess, but hopefully the narrative in that version is more coherent than it was here, because here the story barely makes sense. I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying that most of the church folks from Red Hook Summer return here, which in a way ties this film to that one, especially on a spiritual level. Lots of talk about religion and worship and addiction and such. But... man. There were parts of this that were good-bordering-on-great but it was mixed with a LOT of "huh?" and "WTF WAS THAT SPIKE?"

Anyway, the setup is simple: this dude Dr. Hess has an Ashanti artifact, gets stabbed with it (in perhaps the oddest possible way), and suddenly acquires a serious thirst for blood. A woman named Ganja, who is connected to the odd stabbing, shows up, and the two of them have sex and do things with blood and other women (including SPOILER ALERT Snoop from The Wire).

And no, she don't look good, girl.

So. It's an ODD flick, man. And I mean, the leads (Stephen Tyrone Williams, Zaraah Abrahams) were striking and attractive and there were bits of sexiness throughout. But sadly upon initial viewing everything didn't come together like I had hoped. The soundtrack had some killer tunes on it, though. But then again Bruce Hornsby's score felt like it belonged in another movie, like the sequel to Clockers.

Look, this was better to me than Red Hook Summer, and I really wasn't that mad at that movie like most of y'all were. There's more of an "artistic statement" being made here, though I found it hard to, um, penetrate upon initial viewing. It ultimately just made for frustrating viewing at times for me, because you know that Spike's trying to say... something... and yet, (once again) he kept getting in his own way, either with terrible dialogue or with character actions that made no sense.

________________________________________________________________________________
Your typing ain't as "incendiary" as you think it is.
691227, HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by bwood, Wed Jan-14-15 08:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPjUsu2-QMQ
691241, *Flips hair*
Posted by BigReg, Wed Jan-14-15 12:07 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/mPpueSGxCsF68/giphy.gif
704138, LOL
Posted by lfresh, Sat Oct-31-15 09:50 PM

~~~~
~~~~
704139, Zoo's right this is a mess
Posted by lfresh, Sat Oct-31-15 09:55 PM
Spikes going to have to learn pointless nude women now equals pointless nude men

There was nothing sexy about the sex
Nothing sexy about the nudity
It wasn't even a pointed reference to the gratuitous 70s nudity
Dude seriously if you are going to casting couch do it on your time
Ugh

Oh the movie
It's as bad as red hot summer
I'm afraid to keep chiraq

This is two
I love spike folks walking back bamboozled now too
Wish this board was here then
But these two efforts...
Reminds me to ask does he support other filmmakers? Up and coming?
His efforts would have been put to better use there

Oh and yay rami malek is in this

Oh and I liked the shot at the end
But the music again not matching...not ironic
~~~~
~~~~