Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHere's a petty complaint: sequels with phrases after the colon.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=656198&mesg_id=679084
679084, Here's a petty complaint: sequels with phrases after the colon.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-21-14 02:00 PM
I realize this one would be a tough one, but I'm sick of these dumb vague sounding titles. "At World's End." "The Dark World." "The Last Stand." "Dawn of Justice." Just boring.

If it's SPECIFIC, then I'm more inclined to give it a pass. "Ghost Protocol." "The Winter Soldier." "Age of Ultron." Even "The Desolation of Smaug," which is a fucking mouthful. I still don't love it. But it's better.

And I even dig when the titles are totally different, without the colon. I like the Nolan Batman titles. I like what they're doing with the new Apes movies.

But goddamn, just call it Batman v Superman. Not a soul in the world is gonna wanna call that shit "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" in conversation. (If it were up to me, I'd just use numbers for sequels anyway. Avengers 2. Captain America 2. Mission: Impossible 4. Boom. Simple. That's what people are going to say at the box office anyway, in all likelihood.)

But that's an admittedly petty complaint, and one I have with most sequels nowadays. I realize it's about the hint of the Justice League movie coming. And if they were looking for a phrase after the colon, they could've done worse... I suppose.

And they were smart billing Batman first-- maybe it's more of a Batman movie than people theorized, which would be a cool surprise.