Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectwhat's with the dip in quality this season? seems a bit aimless
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=656167&mesg_id=663132
663132, what's with the dip in quality this season? seems a bit aimless
Posted by araQual, Fri Oct-04-13 09:06 PM
and i'm strangely uninvested in the story OR the characters. Bolin's crazy gf sidestory was already played out but they keep milking it for more for some reason (it was *kinda* funny the first few times, but now not so much).

i mean on the one hand i dig the post-Aang world-building and the slow but sure construction and deconstruction of his extended family. but at this point i'm so annoyed by Korra as a character and the story doesn't seem to be as interesting (and some of the characterisations in general seem a tad off), i'm wanting them to go BACK a lil more to the OG Avatar world and fill in some post-Book 3 gaps from then to now. it's about time to fill us in on the middle of this sprawling story.

Varek has been pretty consistently hilarious.

and i KNOW, Korra isn't Aang-like. or even Aang-esque. but when it comes to overall personality, she's a thick-headed brat who has no deductive reasoning skills and despite everything she's gone through in Book 1, has only sofar acquired the ability to summon the Avatar State at will and use it like a toy. for Aang it was always used sparingly, and when it WAS activated, u got that epic feeling of awwwwwsheeet, sumthn cool is about to happen (most of the time he never got to inflict mass carnage, but just him GLOWING was enough). i feel like Korra, as a more modern-day interpretation of the Avatar, is largely materialistic with little to no spiritual side. i'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt that they built the world this way on purpose, complete with an updated Avatar persona to go with it (possibly as a reflection of our own modern times that also lack the spiritual touch).

i usually like it when a show like this concentrates on the dialogue and character interactions, but this seasons been kinda painful in that regard. not as tightly written as Book 1. but damn if it all doesn't LOOK gorgeous as fuck. i'll keep watchin cos this team has rarely stumbled within the Avatar universe (from Aang til now). but i am pretty much over Korra as a character, could just be Janet Varney's performance of it, but i mostly just end up with 'meh'.

V.