Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: One note
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=653226&mesg_id=681873
681873, RE: One note
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Jul-09-14 07:26 AM
>>no it wasn't subtle at all, but 'subtle' is not a
>requirement
>>for 'good' and 'subtle' definitely doesn't automatically
>equal
>>'good'. sometimes simple & straightforward can be just as
>>satisfying if executed appropriately, and this was if you
>ask
>>me. Simple & straightforward yes, yet still interesting and
>>containing unpredictable elements as well (I like the
>mash-up
>>of serious/semi-grounded/over-the-top/drama/comedy/violence
>&
>>action) ... ultimately a really satisfying ride.
>
>The "subtle" discussion above wasn't so much about the quality
>of the movie as a popcorn flick but at those saying that there
>was a deeper meaning. The key line that was being responded to
>being, "It's more than a popcorn flick when you sit down and
>think about it."
>
>The more you think about it, the worse it gets IMO. I was
>along for the ride (no pun intended) up until the end when Ed
>Harris just droned on and on. And as an allegory, it doesn't
>really work. But the build up in the beginning, any moment
>with Tilda Swinton and Allison Pill, etc. made for an
>entertaining enough flick.>

and i do agree with you on your point about the Ed Harris character, (not spoiler technically but maybe>>>) i do also think that his heavy handed over-explanitory speech was a weak point of the flick too. That said, it didn't destroy my overall enjoyment the movie for me though. its kinda like if you were dating some lady who's great looking, a barrel of fun to be with and makes you laugh n stuff, and i dont know, maybe you find out later she has only 3 toes on on one of her feet. Ok ...ok...maybe its not exactly like that....but maybe you find out that she hates all music, and you're a music lover... i dont know...maybe its not like that either lol....but you know what i'm saying. :)

So nope, there wasnt a 'hidden' meaning, (because it wasnt really 'hidden'), but there was a 'dual-meaning'... literal/metaphorical. But nope it wasnt hidden or subtle at all, by any means. it was laid right out there for ya, right next to all of the other cool, fun, quirky & entertaining stuff that this movies world created. And, quite simply, i dug that world.

Basically while this movie isnt perfect. (few movies are to be honest),..but i felt it IS worth my time & money. I did have a ball, i left it feeling like i had a good time and felt more satisfied than not.
not as satisfied as i did when i saw his other movie "The Host" which i friggin LOVED all the way in every way. Not as satisfied as when i left the FIRST 'Iron Man' movie which i loved all the way in every way. Not as satisfied as did when i left 'Pans Labrynth' which i friggin LOVED all the way in every way ( Pans is my SH%%T!!).... BUT i absolutely DID have a good time at Snowpiercer. and i'd bet that if i looked at the list of 16 movies that are showing in the mainstream theater down the street from me now, this one would be better, more interesting and satisfying than 80% to 90% of them...even with its admitted three toes...;)