Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAll Is Lost (Chandor, 2013)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=650998
650998, All Is Lost (Chandor, 2013)
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-22-13 12:22 PM
Now that it's premiered, let me tell you to get excited for this.

It's Robert Redford, stranded at sea. No dialogue... barely even any words. It's pared down to scenes of survival. And this comes from JC Chandor, whose Margin Call was all sorts of talky.

It's a gorgeous movie, Redford is sensational, and it's a virtual lock for my year-end Top 10.

Keep an eye out for the first trailer to get a sense of what it is you'll be seeing. In the meantime, here's Eric Kohn's review, which should get you excited: http://www.indiewire.com/article/cannes-robert-redfords-strangest-role-of-his-career-is-in-jc-chandors-all-is-lost?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed
651001, So it is like Open Water and Gravity but with less dialogue
Posted by calij81, Wed May-22-13 12:37 PM
651017, Much better than Open Water. Much.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-22-13 03:09 PM
Redford gives a swan-song career performance to be remembered here. And the tension is steadily paced but never lets up. Plus, there's definitely a vast-metaphor-for-life-and-faith thing going on that Open Water certainly lacks.
651033, But open water had sharks
Posted by Dae021, Wed May-22-13 06:17 PM
664610, & titties
Posted by jigga, Wed Oct-23-13 12:26 PM
663566, Saw this last night, it is as good as Longo says
Posted by BrillRick, Wed Oct-09-13 09:17 AM
JC Chandor and Robert Redford was there at the showing. Chandor said the script for the movie was 31 pages.

Anyway really well done, beautiful cinematography (great shots underwater at times). Very tense.

Highly recommended viewing.
663837, Eh, I got bored in patches but Redford was outstanding.
Posted by ZooTown74, Sat Oct-12-13 10:50 AM
And the beauty of his performance is how he makes the mundane come off as fascinating, mainly because it's cool to watch him use his brain, to see what he'll do next to try to get himself out of this predicament.

The movie as a whole could have been paced up by about 10 minutes and would have been perfect.

Ol' Sundance still got it. He'll be at the Oscars.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive-Aggressive is the new Hurt Feelings!
664779, Robert Redford in anything is outstanding
Posted by SankofaII, Thu Oct-24-13 10:47 PM
I'm so here for this whenever it makes it to Pittsburgh.
665548, This was outstanding.
Posted by The Analyst, Tue Nov-05-13 01:29 PM
GRAVITY gets points for its incredible technical achievements, but I actually preferred the way Chandor & co. approached some very similar material here.

Redford is outstanding. So is everything else about the movie. It's in my Top 10 at this point.
665825, Great. Better than Gravity in every way.
Posted by stravinskian, Sun Nov-10-13 09:37 AM
665846, Except of course score, cinematography, acting, character, effects, sound design.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sun Nov-10-13 09:51 PM
J.C. Chandor is just not for me, right? He's a shrug-tastic 0-2 for me now.
665857, I'd put it above Gravity in every one of those categories except
Posted by stravinskian, Mon Nov-11-13 08:10 AM
visual effects.

I'll admit it's trite to compare them.

I wasn't happy with the score in either movie, but I tend to think movie scores are silly anyway. At least the All is Lost score was relatively unobtrusive.

In not trying to be a Chandor fanboy, which would be silly after only two movies. But as far as I'm concerned, both of those movies have been the best of their respective years.
669802, the anti-survivor movie.
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jan-08-14 04:56 PM
no dialogue, emotional ties or dramatic set-up. just a man and his will to survive -- a will that is methodically dissolved with every scene. Redford's matured composure was vital (I would've just passed out from shock after the first 20 minutes), as it shows how much it takes to finally break him.

a running time closer to Cuarón's cousin in outer space would've been welcomed, but I did appreciate some of the details thrown in (Redford shaving...clinging to routineness, or human vanity no matter what the odds?). and the ending changes *a lot* about the movie depending on how you take it. for me, it was accepting the inevitable and the freedom that comes with that choice.
669823, I know what you mean, and I'm 100% in agreement:
Posted by The Analyst, Wed Jan-08-14 09:19 PM
> the ending
>changes *a lot* about the movie depending on how you take it.
>for me, it was accepting the inevitable and the freedom that
>comes with that choice.
690616, dope. i felt suicidal though
Posted by thegodcam, Mon Dec-29-14 10:50 PM