Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectREGULAR SHOW #1
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=649665&mesg_id=650274
650274, REGULAR SHOW #1
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu May-16-13 01:10 AM
The comic I was hyped for before I had any idea it would one day actually exist.

I gotta hand it to kaBOOM, they're putting some great talent on these licensed books and the results have been pretty special. It helps that the shows these comics are based on are pretty magical in their own right, but I still find myself impressed with how well all that is getting translated to the page. And not just translated, but built on to an extent. The back-up story in this first issue has a style and voice all its own yet still feels at home in the Regular Show world.

As for the main story? It did what it had to do, and that was to feel like an episode of Regular Show. Did it feel like a *great* episode? Not exactly. I think the joke factor was pretty much on point in terms of frequency and tone but I didn't really need this to end on a cliffhanger. Buuuut I thought that about the last couple of kaBOOM books I read and the arcs turned out to be really enjoyable, despite my ideas of how a kids' comic* should be paced.

B

*And Regular Show isn't exactly for "kids" - My 12 and 13 year old nephews put me onto it and it's pretty much targeted at that age. Think 'Beavis and Butthead Lite' and don't hand this to any 2nd graders probably.