Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe World's End (Wright, 2013)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=649289
649289, The World's End (Wright, 2013)
Posted by Melanism, Wed May-08-13 10:36 AM
http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/the-world-s-end-exclusive-trailer

About what I expected from Wright, Pegg and Frost.

Still gonna check it out.
649304, IN.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-08-13 12:04 PM
649326, Working link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-4c8U-mUI
Posted by icecold21, Wed May-08-13 02:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-4c8U-mUI

It looks good, but most likely a redbox rental for me.
658030, It was good, but also disappointing
Posted by topaz, Mon Aug-12-13 08:11 PM
Probably the least funny entry of the trilogy. Thought it took itself a bit too seriously towards the end with the "It doesn't get any better" monologue.

It was cool that Frost played the straight man for once while Pegg is the screw-up. The fight scenes were pretty good imo.

Still enjoyable but doesn't touch Shaun and Hot Fuzz. The TDKR of the three films, if you will.
658084, the boys are back - I'm in!
Posted by DJ007, Tue Aug-13-13 08:47 AM

Posted by jigga, Tue Aug-13-13 09:30 AM
Hot Fuzz was so bad I'll probably wait for cable
658839, Surprisingly dark and heavy for something so funny and stylish.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Aug-23-13 02:18 AM
A tale about growing up and joining the world. But, y'know, with a twist.

Pretty clever all-around. Surprisingly emotional at its ending. The whole conclusion is pretty goddamn unorthodox.

I dig.
658946, it was fun...all over the place and fun.
Posted by Basaglia, Sat Aug-24-13 07:20 AM
i didn't even laugh as much as i smiled and thought "what the fuck?!?"
658948, it's pretty good
Posted by BigWorm, Sat Aug-24-13 07:30 AM
It's Edgar Wright's weakest film to date. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is a hard act to follow up, though.

It was fun to see Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in 'reversed' roles, but there were times when Simon Pegg was hamming it up a little too much--at least in the first 20 minutes.

Without giving anything away, at the end my wife and I both agreed that we thought it was kind of trying to be like Cabin in the Woods--where it keeps on turning into a different kind of movie. It didn't work nearly as well as Cabin in the Woods, but I can still see this winning a cult following on it's own.

Like Frank said it gets surprisingly dark. They hide it in a way by glossing over some of the darker details of the story--kind of like how Shaun of the Dead has a sort of dark ending that plays out like a funny, happy ending. It's amped up here though.

Still, it's pretty damn funny. It's best if you go into it without knowing anything, like This is the End or, as I mentioned above, Cabin in the Woods.

It probably also gets funnier on repeated viewings, but as I left the theater last night I didn't feel like I needed to see it again. Solid three star movie.
658956, Perfect film to see on my birthday today.
Posted by bwood, Sat Aug-24-13 01:53 PM
Out of the trilogy, I like Hot Fuzz the best, but this is a really solid comedy. Also want to say that this is the most mature and grown up entry into the trilogy. That's all I'm gonna say as I went in today mostly blind and was rewarded for it.
658963, That was highly enjoyable.
Posted by ZooTown74, Sat Aug-24-13 05:15 PM
The guys' reasoning for agreeing to join up with Gary was a bit iffy, but aside from that it was a lot of fun. Dug the quick wit and the willingness by Pegg and Wright to take the story in unexpected directions. Didn't think it was very dark, though; more bittersweet and cynical than anything else.

And for whatever reason it also reminded me a bit of the John Carpenter movies The Fog and The Thing...

Might be one of my top movies of the year...

____________________________________________________________________________________________
But Zootown, black people and media, so...
658989, Well that was just fun
Posted by Marauder21, Sun Aug-25-13 06:58 AM
Loved seeing Pegg as the crazy asshole this time.
658997, I loved it
Posted by navajo joe, Sun Aug-25-13 12:14 PM
It's got some flaws in its storytelling no doubt but i was able to overlook them due to how great 90 percent of the film is.

Loved that they went old school kung fu (sammo hung, yuen biao era) w/ the fight choreography.

a fun, smart, well-crafted movie
659065, trash
Posted by SeV, Mon Aug-26-13 04:58 AM
I don't even visit this forum

That's how bad I thought this shyt was

Ok maybe it wasn't that bad

I just had high expectations for it

Disappointment grew with each passing minute

Dallas Heatvricks BACK 2 BACK CHAMPS!!
659103, Enjoyable film with some unexpectedly dark elements
Posted by B9, Mon Aug-26-13 10:11 AM
that don't get resolved. Will say that as much as like the Cornetto films, Nick Frost's high-pitched delivery of dramatic lines is starting to wear thin on me, unless that was another intentional trope in the series. The choreographed fight scenes were hilarious coming from that group of actors.
660105, Same cinematographer as the guy that did Scott Pilgrim.
Posted by MEAT, Sat Sep-07-13 11:57 AM
659156, Great flick. Some shit was expected. Better than Hot Fuzz...
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Aug-26-13 06:14 PM
not as good as Shawn of the Dead. It was kinda like a combination of both films.

659184, That was great fun. Just as good as the other two.
Posted by stravinskian, Mon Aug-26-13 10:05 PM
659847, same great comedic formula, bogged down by confused themes.
Posted by will_5198, Wed Sep-04-13 09:17 PM
Wright, Pegg and Frost stick to the style that made Hot Fuzz, and to a lesser extent, Shaun of the Dead, so great. but...

(spoilers)

they also throw a lot of motifs into the mix, so much so that they start to contradict. Frost and Co. are boring, robotic adults...but Pegg is a kid and needs to grow up. the human race is too reliant on technology and passive to homogenization, but a system reboot has most of them in the same roles under shittier conditions. violence is fun but not the answer to the root problems -- the robots keep reviving themselves until the humans plead with twisted reason.

yet Pegg finds his place as a triumphant outlaw, going against the human error of discrimination (we hate "blanks" now) by...using violence. just a grab bag of messages that are never defined. if you can ignore them, it's a fun ride.
660063, Started out slow but ended up winnin me over @ the end
Posted by jigga, Fri Sep-06-13 12:58 PM
Basil was awesome & this was much better than Hot Fuzz
660178, agendaaaaaaaaaaas
Posted by Bruce Belafonte, Sun Sep-08-13 01:46 PM
>http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/the-world-s-end-exclusive-trailer
>
>About what I expected from Wright, Pegg and Frost.
>
>Still gonna check it out.

Full of em.