Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWhat was the tipping point for 'geeks' becoming taste gatekeepers?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=648061&mesg_id=648061
648061, What was the tipping point for 'geeks' becoming taste gatekeepers?
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Wed Apr-24-13 09:02 PM
was it the fallout of the most recent Star Wars trilogy?

a development of Internet culture in general?

The post about Eddie Murphy potentially not becoming a noteworthy comedian in the 21st century because his material isn't 'heady' or basically geek-friendly enough made me think about the 'bratty' nature of the tastes and criticisms of pop culture by geeks.

* end of four-lane sized generalization about people with geeky tastes here *

for every ?uestlove who has a high-level of knowledge not only of the medium but the creative process as well in the field he gives critiques of and offers a genuine sense of understanding and nuance and context, there are 'endless fields and fields' of clones who spout out really intense, hardened rants about what they think 'ought' to be the case without any sense of history or 'cleverness'.

my premise is that i think geeks have been a key force in introducing the notion of intricacy and detail in pop art, but geeks seem to have the subtlety and understanding of life of a 14 year old and undercut their zeal with rage at anyone who seems charismatic. ironic if only because geeks seemingly only because geeks because someone displayed rage at them for not displaying something they weren't comfortable with.