Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectYour dense & curt act is a terrible schtick
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=646628&mesg_id=658099
658099, Your dense & curt act is a terrible schtick
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Aug-13-13 11:15 AM
>elysium's problems are not bad one liners and a lack of
>motivation of the characters.

No, but those (and it's overall lousy dialogue not just "bad one liners") were key contributing factors to the overall poor storytelling and the simplistic-to-the-point-of-stupid portrayal of its theme.
You seem to hell bent on focusing on the individual elements that I cited and can't see the forest through the trees. One last time: just because other films can overcome some of these individual shortcomings doesn't mean they aren't shortcomings. Your oft-repeated stance is akin to saying, "I don't think gunshots kill people because I've known people who were shot and didn't die so blaming the gunshot as contributing to a death isn't valid."

And I have mentioned these flaws in films I've liked because *shock and horror* it's possible to admit weaknesses in films one still finds entertaining. In fact, it's possible to admit that movies one found entertaining weren't really well made at all.

Maybe you thought the visuals were enough to carry the day or Copley's performance made up for it. I focus on storytelling and that was the main weakness of this film so I didn't enjoy it.