Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMore or less. It's unquestionably filtering into the mainstream now though.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=645436&mesg_id=645450
645450, More or less. It's unquestionably filtering into the mainstream now though.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Mar-29-13 02:47 PM
Any time a member of the general population doesn't like a film, it's usually "it was so stupid. would never happen. doesn't make sense." And they're almost always described as "plot holes."

The piece's big central two points are:
1: most people misuse the term plot hole in a big way.
2: no film would likely ever satisfy the purely logical mind, so if you're focusing your response to a film on perceived logic problems, either (a) you didn't like the film but you can't express what you didn't like adequately, so you settle for decrying these mislabeled "plot holes," or (b) for smug wannabe-intellectuals who use this to feel above a film and its alleged stupidity, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how cinema works.

And everyone's done it. Everyone's left a film, going "ugh, that part did not make sense to me." But since so many amazing movies could easily be nitpicked that way, it's important to look at why we may focus on that.

Since I'm spending every day writing movies now, and wrestling hardcore with how to make my films make sense yet also give them those inherently cinematic images and moments that make a film stick in your mind forever, this piece spoke to me, LOL.