Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectInside Llewyn Davis (Them Coen Boys, 2013)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=638491
638491, Inside Llewyn Davis (Them Coen Boys, 2013)
Posted by ZooTown74, Thu Jan-24-13 07:54 PM
This trailer was lifted from an invite Anne Thompson got to a screening on the Sony lot; watch it while you have a chance

http://youtu.be/r5ngyALMRR4

Posted by YaBoy...Holla@ME, Thu Jan-24-13 08:10 PM
who has better period piece cinematography than the Cohen's?
638549, hey lonesome_d! remember how I didn't feel folk was sexy?
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Fri Jan-25-13 10:57 AM
Maybe I should take a look-see at this, huh?
665885, the trailer didn't look at all sexy to me
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Nov-11-13 04:23 PM
though the scene was inherently Bohemian, so I hope some of that comes across in the movie.

638552, Can't wait.
Posted by stravinskian, Fri Jan-25-13 11:22 AM

It's actually "Llewyn," though, not "Llewelyn." I read it wrong for months before I noticed.
638657, (.. )
Posted by lfresh, Fri Jan-25-13 11:53 PM
>
>It's actually "Llewyn," though, not "Llewelyn." I read it
>wrong for months before I noticed.
>

i cant pronounce either
though i've read them in books for years
and i KNOW i'm saying it (mentally) wrong

LE-Win
LE-We-lin

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
638674, RE: (.. )
Posted by stravinskian, Sat Jan-26-13 09:12 AM

Loo-in
Loo-ell-in

Don't be thrown by the double l's.
638557, I would cut a bitch for an invite to that screening.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jan-25-13 11:43 AM
638644, RE: I would cut a bitch for an invite to that screening.
Posted by cereffusion, Fri Jan-25-13 08:00 PM
It's probably in the mail.
638645, RE: I would cut a bitch for an invite to that screening.
Posted by cereffusion, Fri Jan-25-13 08:00 PM
It's probably in the mail.
638707, Well that looked good
Posted by 13Rose, Sun Jan-27-13 12:24 AM
I'm in.
638718, I'm curious
Posted by colonelk, Sun Jan-27-13 02:07 PM
Is he basically Bob Dylan? Does Bob Dylan exist in the world of this movie and Llewyn is some less successful version?
638761, How does he resemble Dylan to you?
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Mon Jan-28-13 10:41 AM
I don't see it.
665842, In short...
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Nov-10-13 08:50 PM
Small town, big city.
Crazy young love.
Rejection.
Pissy attitude.
Eventual success and acceptance.
665854, All I'll say is you're about 3/5 wrong.
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Nov-11-13 03:33 AM
I repeat, there are zero parallels to be drawn between Llewyn Davis and Bob Dylan.

Llewyn Davis is not a thinly-veiled variation, or sample, or interpolation of Bob Dylan in any way, shape, or form.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides
668414, but 25 seconds in
Posted by rob, Fri Dec-13-13 12:01 PM
it does look a lot like the freewhelin bob dylan cover. except he has a cat instead of a lady on his arm.
668418, Llewyn's album cover is just like Van Ronk's
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Dec-13-13 12:22 PM
http://www.nextmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Van-Ronk.jpg

The photo you're talking about might have been a nod to Freewheeling Bob Dylan but, If anything that's just an example of how idiosyncratic Llewyn is, instead of a pretty girl on his arm, he has a cat. So you could say they is a parallel to Dylan in that case but everyone involved has said the movie is more or less a kind of inspired by Van Ronk.

I just think the main point is that you shouldn't go into the film expecting it to be an alternate universe Dylan.
668428, oh yeah i agree with you in general
Posted by rob, Fri Dec-13-13 12:42 PM
i'm not expecting dylan, but i'm assuming dylan will be played upon as a touchstone because it's dylan.
638763, It's not Dylan.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jan-28-13 11:27 AM
According to what I've read, it's loosely based on the life of Dave Van Ronk. So Dylan should exist in this film, I'd imagine.
665884, they may have confused some by having Dylan on in the trailer
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Nov-11-13 04:21 PM
but if the few who figure out that it's (theoretically, at least) based on Van Ronk actually go out and read his book and start listening to his records a bit more, I won't be mad.

And good old Hedy West is going to make more money off Timberlake singing 500 Miles than she has from all versions prior.
665810, Not flawless, but very, very entertaining. Oscar Isaac killed it.
Posted by ZooTown74, Sat Nov-09-13 11:14 AM
Mild Spoilers.

This is the quirked-out, darkly comedic, unconventional narrative Coen brothers of A Serious Man and Burn After Reading as opposed to the more "commercial" stuff like Fargo and True Grit.

I thought that Oscar Isaac was dope as this talented but assholish cat who had a tendency to fuck things up for himself with his mouth and his somewhat-unrealistic belief in his artistic integrity. He's that guy who doesn't quite realize - or simply refuses to admit - that his time as an artist has about come and gone, and I thought Isaac's performance nicely captured his stubborn and brooding insistence on failing repeatedly in the name of his art. This was the portrait of an artist as a moody dolt.

And to be clear, Isaac is NOT playing Bob Dylan, or a variation on Bob Dylan.

As far as everyone else goes, Goodman was great in a small bit as a jazz musician who had no problem shitting on the folk scene; Carey Mulligan was very good as a fellow folk singer who was personally and professionally linked with Timberlake, who was fine in a small role. I also dug the actors who ran the label Llewyn was signed to, as well as the couple that Llewyn maintains a tenuous friendship with.

Visually, it would have been nice to see Roger Deakins' take on this world but I really liked the washed-out, wintry pallet that Bruno Delbonnel worked with. And again, the songs were fantastic; T. Bone Burnett once again produced some good stuff for the Coens.

So yeah, this movie was very entertaining.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides
665944, It was okay to me. Everything you said is pretty much what I think.
Posted by bwood, Tue Nov-12-13 05:31 AM
Davis is based on David van Ronk. But my group at this shit up.
665841, I see the, DYLAN parallels AAAND this looks dope!
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Nov-10-13 08:48 PM
Love me some, COEN BROS.
Cannot wait.
667474, There aren't any Dylan parallels. Trust.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Nov-30-13 05:57 PM
667475, They've done it again. One of the very best in a great year.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Nov-30-13 05:58 PM
668012, It was OK. (Also did second half look worse for everyone?)
Posted by SoulHonky, Sun Dec-08-13 12:13 AM
I guess I just don't care to watch a self-destructive asshole spin his wheels. Although Oscar Isaac was great and the film definitely had its moments.

But did the film look worse for people in the second half? The F. Murray Abraham scene looked terrible and then I really started noticing that it wasn't looking as crisp. Maybe something happened with the digital projection at the Arclight but it was noticeably worse.
668333, Great.
Posted by The Analyst, Thu Dec-12-13 01:04 PM
My initial impression is that it didn't really have the same *immediate* impact on me as No Country For Old Men, which I think is an unqualified masterpiece. I think that's because NCFOM was more aggressive though. (Notice I said "immediate" impact - I saw this a couple days ago and haven't stopped thinking about it yet. It's layered and there's a lot you can chew on.)

Oscar Isaac is absolutely as good here as just about any other performer this year. He's the heart and soul of the movie, and he has something you can't fake: the charisma to make you care about him even though he's not a particularly nice person. (He also sings and plays all of his songs live, and does so quite impressively.)

His performance is really crucial because this is basically a pure character study. There's really not much in the way of traditional plot, which is fine with me but might somewhat hurt its reception with the general public. (When it ended, for example, the old guy next to me threw up his hands and went, "That's it?!?! It didn't *go* anywhere!")

Bottom line, it's exceptionally well-written, acted, directed, and shot. The performances and the music are really great. I'm not sure it's an instant classic, but I think history will regard it right up there with the best of what the Coens have to offer.

Oh, and to answer Colonelk's question above (VERY MILD SPOILER): Yes, Dylan exists in the universe of this movie, and at time the movie is set, Llewyn is more of a precursor/peer than a less successful version.
670987, i guess im supposed to say "spoiler alert"
Posted by beatnik, Thu Jan-23-14 01:35 AM
That ending was butt, if I had known the ending was the beginning and they were coming back around I would have been less entertained. And I hate when protagonists can't fight or just get beat the hell up.

Jean was a douche, I can understand not wanting to be knocked up but the way she spoke to llewyn throughout. . . douche.

John Goodman was not likeable at all, the point, but I wanted to punch him in the face.

Dean Moriarty had a easy payday. You've been typecast as a vagrant roadtripper.

And the end of their little segment was just awful, not awful viewing wise but Dean gets kidnapped and John just drugged up in a cold ass car with gimp legs and a cat.

And I wanted him to go to Akron, I thought he was going to leave that guy on the road ( pun, hehehe ) and hitch or there would just be an awkward scene of them arguing about him taking a detour mixed with Llewyn sitting at Danielles parents house getting called a dead beat dad.

And all the extra folk singer men were cool, that army kid was creepy though. Timberlake was as nice as expected, but then you find out his girl boinking everybody and he just seems dopey.

Great music and awesome cats too. Nice movie.