Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectTankster Squad <-----who's L is this?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=638257
638257, Tankster Squad <-----who's L is this?
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Jan-21-13 11:36 PM

Does Gosling take a hit here?

Stone?

Penn can't open shit and everyone knows it, so he not to blame.

Does Brolin continue his post Jonah Hex non-Will Smith-related flopfest?

Just curious.
638258, i will say promos and warner brothers/village roadshow....
Posted by Ink_Spot, Mon Jan-21-13 11:50 PM
i always hate january openings for a movie like that. The promos didn't do it justice either. Like you said, Ryan Gosling may be a great actor, but Gosling, Brolin, and Penn never opened a huge movie before. Why that was expected now, blows my mind. This at best will be a cult classic...but it was always a duck at the box office.
638259, gosling that dude, but yes he takes a hit
Posted by astralblak, Tue Jan-22-13 12:02 AM
Whoever said yeah keep rolling with that "accent" should kill themselves

Penn seemed to be the only one comitted to the type of gangster film it was and comes across like a caricature at times

Brolin... let's just say No Country was 3+yrs ago
638260, Ruben Fleischer was a horrible choice...
Posted by mrshow, Tue Jan-22-13 12:12 AM
Why would you get the guy who made Zombieland (which I loved) to direct a hard-boiled period gangster movie?

Gosling went from actually acting to latter-day Pacino scenery chewing incredibly quickly.
638261, I still think if it'd opened in October, it'd have opened better.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jan-22-13 12:13 AM
They could've disguised the fact that it wasn't going to be in Oscar contention until buzz was already worked up to a fever pitch, but the Dark Knight shooting necessitating reshoots reeeeeally hurt it a lot.

People like seeing period shit like this if they think it's Oscar quality. But no one gives a shit about disposable period pieces. Especially in the dumping ground of January. Especially if they don't have actual stars (Gosling's only opened one film alongside Carell, and Stone was a non-factor since this flick clearly wasn't gonna attract any women to come).
638262, good points
Posted by astralblak, Tue Jan-22-13 12:43 AM
i could not for the life of me figure out why Emma was cast as the leading lady, even a film like this
638369, That's what I was going to say
Posted by Dae021, Wed Jan-23-13 01:38 PM
Pushing it back and reshooting killed all the momentum that could've been built up for this one.
638293, Fleischer is hurt the most; Brolin #2
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Jan-22-13 02:56 PM
Ruben Fleischer is looking like a one hit wonder. 30 Minutes or Less and Gangster Squad have probably killed most, if not all, of the momentum from Zombieland.

Brolin takes the biggest hit of the actors because he was supposed to be the star of the film and couldn't open and didn't even seem like the lead. He probably has one or two more shots at glory before he's relegated to supporting player (which is where he should be.)

Gosling takes a hit although I think his other movies this year will be the key for him. But if those don't do well, this will compound those disappointments.

Mireille Enos's strongest performance is still in a show that sucked so this ain't helping.

The writer somehow nabbed Justice League, Mad Max, and Logan's Run and I don't think anyone is fired up about him penning any of those so I wouldn't be stunned to see him bounced off those projects.

And Sean Penn just took fellow actors to task for making shit movies so he looks stupid now.
638332, It's clearly the director's L.
Posted by The Analyst, Tue Jan-22-13 08:20 PM
Just because, when I heard who was in this and the basic premise, I wanted to see this.

Then I saw trailers that looked awful.

Then disastrous reviews started pouring in.

So I went from wanting to see it to deciding I'd wait until some Sunday morning when it's raining and I'm hungover and it's on HBO.

And I blame the fact that it looks shitty (and apparently IS shitty) on the director.

I don't really blame anyone in the cast because they're all character actors anyway and this thing - with a mid-January opening and putrid reviews - wasn't going to do huge numbers regardless of who was in it.
638341, He takes the L for the shiddy script & Ehhmeh Stone casting too?
Posted by jigga, Wed Jan-23-13 12:20 AM
Those were my biggest gripes with this flick

Brolin phoned it in but that script gave him nothin to work with

638342, He deserves some blame for both.
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Jan-23-13 12:40 AM
It's not like scripts are treated like sacred texts in Hollywood. Directors have a huge impact on what finally hits the screen so while the screenwriter does deserve blame, it's not like Fleischer's hands were tied and he had to go with what was on the page. He had input and it still sucked. Given that this is the second well-regarded script that Fleischer has turned to shit, it's a knock against him.

As for Emma Stone, I doubt she was a choice that the studio forced upon him since he had worked with her before on Zombieland.
638366, Stone's talent must lie on the casting couch
Posted by jigga, Wed Jan-23-13 12:22 PM
cause it aint on display here

>It's not like scripts are treated like sacred texts in
>Hollywood. Directors have a huge impact on what finally hits
>the screen so while the screenwriter does deserve blame, it's
>not like Fleischer's hands were tied and he had to go with
>what was on the page. He had input and it still sucked. Given
>that this is the second well-regarded script that Fleischer
>has turned to shit, it's a knock against him.

What was the first one?

>As for Emma Stone, I doubt she was a choice that the studio
>forced upon him since he had worked with her before on
>Zombieland.

She sucked in that too. Apparently carried that over from the audition.
638386, "30 Minutes or Less" was on the Black List
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Jan-23-13 05:35 PM
Not that that means much. I read the #1 script on the Black List for this year and it's awful. Still, a number of people seemed to be impressed by the script and it ended up being a terrible, terrible movie.

As for Emma Stone, she might be the modern day Molly Ringwald. I liked her in Zombieland, Crazy Stupid Love, and Easy A but lately she has been disappointing to me. I don't think she ever really got her character in Gangster Squad (and didn't create one for herself) and I thought she was kind of forgettable in Amazing Spider-Man. It'll be interesting to see if she can mature into more adult roles.
638407, agreed all around
Posted by astralblak, Wed Jan-23-13 09:48 PM
638440, I know I'm in the minority here but 30 Minutes or Less>Zombieland
Posted by jigga, Thu Jan-24-13 11:48 AM
As far as Zombiedys, Shaun of the Dead did it much better. I liked all the rules, Woody & Jesse were good but Breslin & Stone ruined it for me once they showed up. The Murray cameo almost saved it but then the amusement park ending wasn't all that amusing. I guess I'm just not caught up in the Zombie craze like everyone else seems to be these days. I've already passed up on several Warm Bodies screenings.

I recall some gripes about Jesse in 30 Minutes or Less, but I liked the chemistry w/ him & Aziz there as well as the McBride/Swardson tandem. Pena & Ward are always great too. Surprised to hear the script was on the black list tho. Seemed to be a typical silly crime comedy to me.
638465, It turned out better than I thought it would (c) Michael Pena
Posted by will_5198, Thu Jan-24-13 03:05 PM
I also liked 30 Minutes or Less, at least enough as one-time entertainment. Problematic but entertaining enough.
638347, for the record, jay-z takes another movie trailer L for that awful song
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Jan-23-13 07:34 AM
that shit was off-putting and didn't set the proper tone for a grittay gangster movie. the lightness of that song and penn's shitty makeup reminded me and several people i talked to of dick tracy.
638629, Don't like the choice for the 42 trailer, either
Posted by stylez dainty, Fri Jan-25-13 05:11 PM
638350, Director and studio
Posted by B9, Wed Jan-23-13 08:17 AM
Hiding behind "reshoots" for what was obviously a horrible movie that they had to just dump somewhere.
638396, Yours. For that apostrophe.
Posted by Invisiblist, Wed Jan-23-13 07:43 PM
638412, fuck outta here with them compuserve 'net burns, nigga
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Jan-23-13 10:04 PM
638419, Nobody really takes an L on this.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jan-24-13 01:20 AM
>Does Gosling take a hit here?

How? He's been on a steady climb to a nice buzz, but is he really a big time player just yet? Do you think women- a sizeable portion of his audience along with the requisite man-crushers- are going to be turned off by his role? Nah. He's a People Magazine regular and that old school movie star face will remain plastered on those covers. He's got an intriguing slate of movies to come that will tell a far truer tale than this one.

>Stone?

See: Gosling, Ryan. Pretty much the same story. Both skew toward a younger audience that just flat out like them. She still has a certain charm to her- much like Gosling- that won't fade anytime soon, because she's really yet to make the leap into the big time of A-List actresses.

>Penn can't open shit and everyone knows it, so he not to
>blame.

Was the L really financial though? Sure, we expected more. But then.... it's original September release date was nothing more than January's autumn counterpart, an annual genesis of post-blockbuster doldrums. Nobody will forget about Milk or Mystic River on account of this movie.

>Does Brolin continue his post Jonah Hex non-Will Smith-related
>flopfest?

Probably, but who knows. He's married to Diane Lane, was a part of the Goonies, and plays Tommy Lee Jones impeccably, so who cares? His whole damn life is a W as far as I'm concerned.

In all seriousness though, he'll be fine just like everyone else in this movie. Mackie and Pena got work, lived to see the end and retain their relatively bright futures. That fucking wierdo Ribisi will still get the same level roles he always does.

The reason being? Nobody will really remember this. Those who do won't care enough to give a fuck. It was an entertaining popcorn movie that isn't great but isn't bad enough to really, truly go in on. There's a certain base that will swear by this shit anyways, and they're busy copping bootlegs at the Indoor Mall anyways. They'll brag about that opening scene (which truly was gangster) and be oblivious to the flaws present.

Hollywood will simply pretend this flick doesn't exist a year from now. If anything, the only real presence it will have will be among any list being made if one of these actors winds up with few more flops to their name.

Fleischer, on the other hand, will probably lose some luster trying to go big, and will likely wind up heading back to comedies. He's clearly more comfortable there anyways.
638422, This movie was fun as fuck
Posted by CaptNish, Thu Jan-24-13 02:49 AM
But then again, I love DICK TRACY.
638630, Dick Tracy is among the finest films ever made for two reasons:
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Jan-25-13 05:23 PM

a) It was awesome

b) It was made so that Warren Beaty could fuck
Madonna.

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
638640, C) MANDY FUCKING PATINKIN
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jan-25-13 07:11 PM
638815, D) William Forsythe's Flattop
Posted by jigga, Mon Jan-28-13 04:15 PM
638837, E) Dustin Hoffman's "Mumbles" = Oscar worthy
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jan-28-13 06:11 PM

Shit was damn near Rainman caliber

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "