Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIm loving the arthouse via B movie trend happening (Black Swan, Drive, etc)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=637990&mesg_id=645424
645424, Im loving the arthouse via B movie trend happening (Black Swan, Drive, etc)
Posted by BigReg, Fri Mar-29-13 10:14 AM
Which is why I don't understand why people are mad at the surreal narrative, it's like being mad at a Terrence Malick film. I understand we are all in the midst of a 'Latte Sipper' backlash on the forum but nitpicking this movie based on that is dumb because it's a latte sipper flick and stayed there.

The advertising was misleading as hell but did anyone really expect Harmony Korine to make Mean Girls 2? Its akin to being mad at the logic breaks in a Jason Statham movie ("How could he fall off a building but still be able to spring and drop kick?!?").

With that out of the way I fucking loved it. I loved how it avoided the cliche's we expected since we've seen this genre movie a million and one times...

*spoilers*

If it was a regular movie after the virginal 'Faith' character wisely checked out those chicks shouldda been doomed...

If it was a regular movie Alien would have turned on them/turned em out instead of THEM being the ones in charge oddly enough aka "You scared?".

If it was a regular movie of course those chicks would have been popped the second they hit the docks.

Hate on certain choices (I thought the repetitiveness was a little over the top, we got the point the first five times for some of the themes)..but the above was golden to me and kept me guessing.

On a side note, I also loved the Belly shoutout in the final scene (which I guess repays Hype Williams for his Gummo shoutout in Belly).