Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe visuals. The colors. The looping narration. The Everytime sequence.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=637990&mesg_id=645257
645257, The visuals. The colors. The looping narration. The Everytime sequence.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-27-13 11:16 AM
>Which is why i mentioned in my initial post that the ending
>ties in with the "treat life like a video game" line the girls
>said. But that doesn't make the ending less shitty.
>
>remind me what else about the movie was fantasy?

One could argue the opening robbery is crazy fantastical the way it's first presented.

Nearly everything about both Alien's lifestyle and their spree of vicious crimes.

All of the slo-mo dub step spring break imagery, which rarely leaves the fantasy of what spring break is.

The one or two moments in which fantasy is broken for characters, they end up leaving. But for Hudgens and Benson, the delusion is never broken. Their fantasy just happens to be far more comfortable in a world of violent take-over. Once they meet Alien, they encounter no personal wake-up call. No cops, no injury, no interference worth worrying about. Hence when their friend gets shot, their reaction isn't "let's get the fuck out, we're just girls!" it's "we're gonna make these motherfuckers pay, cuz no one tries to interrupt our American dream." Consequence never once comes into their mind, just fuck fuck fuck kill kill kill.