Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectSpring Breakers (Korine, 2013)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=637990
637990, Spring Breakers (Korine, 2013)
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jan-17-13 05:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVvn9T6bqls

james franco basically playing riff raff
selena gomez, vanessa hudgens & ashley benson in swimsuits the whole movie
gucci mane is in it too.

this shit about to be dumb as hell lmao.
637993, I can't wait.
Posted by CaptNish, Thu Jan-17-13 05:30 PM
Been following up on this since it was announced.
638005, 100% in
Posted by Reggie Jacxzon, Thu Jan-17-13 08:23 PM
638010, I'm lining up for this now.
Posted by mrshow, Thu Jan-17-13 09:17 PM
638019, looks like he actually got a budget this time
Posted by astralblak, Thu Jan-17-13 11:45 PM
Gummo was a strangely intriguing but terrible movie and the only one of his i've seen

this looks like some fun dumb shit and we get to stare at pretty beckies in bikinis for 90mins, so werd

dumb as hell that those lil broads gunna be stick up kids and killing folk

and word is Korine based the character not on Riff Raff, but on that "my Fork" dred locked white rapper
638105, holy shit why have i never seen this shit?
Posted by gumz, Fri Jan-18-13 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlpcXYkJa9I

this would inspire dude to make a movie lol

644880, That was the best music video
Posted by budz4zo, Fri Mar-22-13 11:24 PM
Ive seen in a long time. My fork my fork my fork
638030, RE: Spring Breakers Trailer #1 (dir. by Harmony Korine)
Posted by bamellgr, Fri Jan-18-13 08:54 AM
Most of the film was filmed less than 10 minutes away from my house, so I'm definitely intrigued.
638165, It's funny, I saw the trailer before knowing he was involved.
Posted by Deluge, Sun Jan-20-13 10:51 AM
And wasn't interested at ALL. But now that I know it's a Harmony Korine film, I'm there.
638177, I've seen this movie about five times now
Posted by Mgmt, Sun Jan-20-13 01:51 PM
Alpha Dog, etc. Fuck whoever pays for a ticket to this shit.
638518, Methinks this is about as OPPOSITE of alpha dog you could get.
Posted by denny, Fri Jan-25-13 01:07 AM
This is gonna be complete nihilistic indulgence. Alpha Dog was a moral CRITIQUE of nihilistic indulgence.
644986, shut your nerd ass up, Ebert
Posted by Mgmt, Sun Mar-24-13 08:36 PM
638519, I'ma watch this shit
Posted by icecold21, Fri Jan-25-13 01:17 AM
638535, I don't care who directed this. It looks terrible.
Posted by Nopayne, Fri Jan-25-13 08:46 AM
638539, I do care who directed it, and it looks terrible
Posted by Marauder21, Fri Jan-25-13 09:30 AM
638542, I don't get this critique, the movie looks good for what it is
Posted by BigReg, Fri Jan-25-13 10:07 AM
It's a movie about a bunch of girls in bikini's who go rob shit and run into gangsters during spring break.

It looks like it hit the tone well to me, imho. Korine's movies always had this washed out, 'found on dirt road' footage aspect to it (which fitted his past subject matters)...this is the direct opposite of it which makes me think he knows what he's doing here.

638566, this don't look washed out at all
Posted by astralblak, Fri Jan-25-13 12:40 PM
it looks like he got a budget this time and was filmed while rollin on E (in terms of the color choices that is)
638562, Looks like fun, I will be watching
Posted by Brother Rabbit, Fri Jan-25-13 12:22 PM
638565, WAIT, so folks take Korine seriously as a film maker?
Posted by astralblak, Fri Jan-25-13 12:39 PM
i've only seen Gummo and it was terrible, should i check his other two films
638573, No. LOL.
Posted by BigReg, Fri Jan-25-13 12:52 PM
>i've only seen Gummo and it was terrible, should i check his
>other two films

His genius is that he wrestles out some of the realest performances out of the white trash dregs of society ever put to celluloid.

Where he fails is that there is never a good movie to go along with it...the movie's are just there. It's like a shitty art school film project.

Now, don't let me let you think this is an easy trick to pull off...it feels like every art/film school student has a really horrible short about those kinds of people (or the equivalent) and they just come off boring as fuck...he generally makes those creepy fucks worth the one and a half hours wasted.

638574, Charles Bukowski of film directors
Posted by B9, Fri Jan-25-13 12:56 PM
loosely quoting John Hodgman on Bukowski: "I was obsessed with Bukowski like any other middle class white person in their 20s who hadn't actually lived yet".

When you get old enough to realize Korine is just a sensationalist and his movies are rather shit, it's too late to actually like any of his work and you never will. I tried rewatching Kids a month ago and couldn't make it 10 minutes in.

638576, Kids is one movie where I can NOT find the appeal
Posted by Marauder21, Fri Jan-25-13 01:03 PM
Like, at all.

There are a lot of pieces of culture that even if I don't feel it, I can see what people like about it. But WTF is there in Kids? Is it just the "OMG, these are young people sexing and drugging THINK OF THE CHILDREN" shock value? Is it a "you had to be there" thing for people who lived in pre-Giuliani New York?
638582, it's more like a pre-internet youth that took place in NY
Posted by astralblak, Fri Jan-25-13 01:22 PM
me and mines who were 9th graders when that movie came out felt like we were watching a version of ourselves. as i got older, i find flaws in it, but i understand what was so shocking about it in the 90s. 18 yrs later i completely detest Larry Clark as an artist and roll my eyes at anyone who speaks of him or terry Richardson in any kind of positive light
644916, agreed.
Posted by denny, Sat Mar-23-13 03:34 PM
The movie did well of capturing teen culture of that time. Probly better than any movie for that generation. Gotta admit...when I watch it now it brings back alot of memories. But I can totally see how it would be boring for someone who wasn't 16 when it came out.
638581, Kids is Larry Clark NOT Korine.
Posted by astralblak, Fri Jan-25-13 01:17 PM
Korine only co-wrote the film
638649, The "voice" and POV is Korine
Posted by B9, Fri Jan-25-13 09:40 PM
The trash aesthetic didn't come in there, but when it did, it made it even worse to take. We get it, you don't care.
638773, MISTER LONELY is a legitimately fascinating film.
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Jan-28-13 12:21 PM
Yes, the nun subplot is dopey. But the heart of the story I thought was wonderful. I think it showed a certain growth in Korine as a director and storyteller that I never saw in any of his work previously. Is it weird for the sake of weird at times? Two minutes into the old age home will tell you that, yes.... he's still got some wonky ideas. But I really think the film shows that anyone who flat out tells you a hack is still clutching onto GUMMO and JDB and whatnot.
645021, That's my question
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Mar-25-13 09:50 AM
Never been a fan

Posted by las raises, Sat Mar-30-13 12:13 AM
643801, Disney Stars Throw Off Their Past in ‘Spring Breakers’ (swipe)
Posted by wallysmith, Mon Mar-11-13 10:31 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/movies/disney-stars-throw-off-their-past-in-spring-breakers.html?pagewanted=2&smid=tw-nytimes&partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

LOS ANGELES — Selena Gomez got her start in “Barney & Friends” and became a cherub-cheeked teen idol on “Wizards of Waverly Place,” a Disney Channel series that has its final hurrah on Friday. But Ms. Gomez was not at a trendy hotel here to discuss Disney. (Eye roll: As if.) On her mind was her new movie — a druggy, violent, hypersexualized tale of innocence squashed called"Spring Breakers.”

That R-rated film, which not-so-coincidentally arrives in theaters on Friday, signals an attempt by Ms. Gomez, 20, to transition to a more grown-up image. And she is not alone: “Spring Breakers,” written and directed byHarmony Korine (“Kids”), also stars Vanessa Hudgens, a starlet who is equally eager — maybe more — to leave behind her squeaky-clean work in Disney’s “High School Musical” series.

“Disney is a machine, and I’m grateful for it, but I feel like being part of that environment made me crave the reaction from other projects even more,” Ms. Gomez said. “Creatively this is where I wanted to go.”

Ditto for Ms. Hudgens, 24. “I want people to look at me not as that girl from ‘High School Musical,’ but as an actress they admire,” she said. “With ‘Spring Breakers’ I’m looking for a reaction for sure. I want to shock people.”

Uh-oh.

The transition out of children’s entertainment is perhaps Hollywood’s trickiest professional maneuver. Changing an acting style is hard; children’s shows tend to turn on “overdone, hammy, jokey performances,” noted Paul Schneider, chairman of Boston University’s film and television department. And the public doesn’t make it easy, said Jeffrey McCall, a media studies professor at DePauw University, adding, “We project images onto entertainers, and we are hesitant to change those impressions.”

If Ms. Gomez and Ms. Hudgens wanted to leave their good-girl personas behind, they found the right movie. “Spring Breakers,” which also stars James Franco, 34, as a white-trash rapper and drug dealer (just a week after he’ll be seen in Disney’s “Oz the Great and Powerful”), is “Natural Born Killers” meets an MTV reality show.

Mr. Korine’s film follows four college students who are desperate to escape their everyday lives. They rob a restaurant to pay for their trip, land in some trouble once in Florida and get bailed out of jail by Mr. Franco’s metal-toothed brute, Alien. Ms. Gomez plays Faith — hint, hint — who goes along with it to a point, despite her religious upbringing. Around the time the women start wearing hot-pink ski masks and wielding AK-47’s Faith decides enough is enough, leaving her friends to descend deeper into a depraved fever dream.

In one extended scene likely to get attention Ms. Hudgens’s character, Candy, holds a loaded gun while Mr. Franco’s thug simulates fellatio on it.

“It was an amazing opportunity for us,” Ms. Hudgens said. “Selena and I are both young, finding our footing, wanting to grow.” Ms. Gomez added, “I’ve never been part of a movie I would watch over and over again, and I’m really proud of it.”

Mr. Korine, 40, whose films include “Trash Humpers” and “Julien Donkey-Boy,” said he deliberately cast actresses with saccharine images to make a point about the underbelly of what he calls “pop mythology” — the extreme party that many young people dream about and corporations cash in on. Ashley Benson, 23, known for “Pretty Little Liars” on ABC Family, a Disney-owned channel, also plays a leading role.

“It was a conceptual stunt,” Mr. Korine said, referring to the casting. “Well, it wasn’t just a conceptual stunt. That’s a bonus. If you didn’t know who these girls are, that they came to my movie representing something, the film would still be the same.”

Rarely has a movie arrived with so many additional agendas. Ms. Gomez, Ms. Hudgens and Ms. Benson are all working to “age up” their images, to use Hollywood lingo. Mr. Korine, tired of making itty-bitty experimental movies that (almost) nobody sees, wants a taste of the mainstream. Several critics, reviewing “Spring Breakers” as it has bounced along the festival circuit, have used the word “sellout” to describe the film.

Is Mr. Korine “effectively satirizing” vapid MTV exploitation shows, asked Guy Lodge in a Variety review, “or merely complicit in the glossy meretriciousness of the culture they represent?”

Ms. Gomez and Ms. Hudgens have both been cycled through the celebrity tabloids for their romantic relationships. (Ms. Gomez has dated Justin Bieber, and Ms. Hudgens and Zac Efron were once a couple.) And both actresses are seeking to change how moviegoers and studios see them.

But they find themselves at different professional stages and thus lean into “Spring Breakers” with varying intensity.

Ms. Hudgens, who became a star in 2006 by playing the brainy romantic lead (opposite Mr. Efron) in the “High School Musical” movies, is more removed than Ms. Gomez from Disney. But she has not had a lot of success since. She tried a romance called"Beastly” and the fantasy thriller “Sucker Punch”; both flopped badly. “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island” was a success, but she played only a supporting role.

So she needed something extreme.

“I’m so normal and boring in real life, which is part of what made this part so fun,” said Ms. Hudgens, fiddling with a white rose she had plucked out of an arrangement in the hotel’s lobby. “I’m more the type to stay home with a cheese plate and a glass of white wine.” (After “Spring Breakers,” Ms. Hudgens will star in Robert Rodriguez’s “Machete Kills,” a bloody action movie about a Mexican arms dealer.)

While younger, Ms. Gomez is the bigger star. “Wizards of Waverly Place” ranks as one of the larger hits in Disney Channel history. She has a clothing line called Dream Out Loud, a perfume (marketed as “the scented embodiment of the star herself: fresh and sweet with warmth from within”) and more than 40 million Facebook “likes.” Next month Ms. Gomez will release a single from her coming fourth CD, which will be distributed by Disney.

But her movie career has so far been mediocre, to be generous. “Ramona and Beezus” was a dud in 2010. The PG-rated “Monte Carlo” the following year was a bit stronger, taking in $39.7 million worldwide. But family films were clearly not a promising road for Ms. Gomez.

So in “Spring Breakers” she parties hard in a Day-Glo bikini and has a disturbing scene with Mr. Franco in which he, his hair in corn rows, fondles her face at length and coos that she “looks about 15.” But Faith also bolts before the killing starts, about 45 minutes in. Ms. Gomez said she would not have taken, say, the role Ms. Hudgens plays, because it would have amounted to the kind of slash-and-burn approach to career growth that Miley Cyrus failed to pull off.

“It’s as far as I could go at this point in my life and career,” she said. “It’s me kind of taking baby steps.” Ms. Gomez added, “But I know that people will judge my involvement in the movie as a whole. I’m prepared to accept that.”

Disney had no comment about “Spring Breakers.” But executives there said privately they doubted that Ms. Gomez, who will headline the Radio Disney Music Awards on April 27, knew exactly what she was getting into.

The young actress refuted that notion, saying that her mother, who is also her manager, was the one who suggested the part.

“My mom is a Harmony fan and read the script,” she said. Ms. Gomez watched Mr. Korine’s movies with her mother and discussed the role with her agent. “I understood why they thought it could be an interesting choice,” she said. She flew to Nashville, where Mr. Korine lives, and auditioned for him in his living room, running lines with his wife, Rachel Korine, 26, who ended up joining the film in a lead role.

“Harmony said, ‘Are you ready to leave your world behind for now and just come be with me and the girls?’ I just said, ‘I’m definitely ready and willing,'” Ms. Gomez recalled. “He looked past what I seem to be publicly and really took a chance on me.”

Ms. Gomez seems a tad tired of discussing “Spring Breakers” and its effect on her image. “It’s the obvious media angle,” she said with a sigh. (One of her next movies is the dark comedy “Behaving Badly,” which has been described as “'Ferris Bueller’ on crack.”)

She also echoed what Disney executives have long said when their stars move on and adopt sexier personas: Viewers, even young ones, can differentiate between actresses and the roles they play. Of people criticizing her for “Spring Breakers,” Ms. Gomez said, “I think they’re not giving my fans enough credit.”

Still, she said she was taken aback to see so many “Wizards of Waverly Place” devotees at the Toronto International Film Festival screening for Mr. Korine’s film.

“The first four rows were girls from 17 to 20,” she said, “and they all had our posters and my ‘Wizards’ book, and I was like ‘Oh, my goodness!'”
644244, Benoît Debie was an excellent choice for cinematography
Posted by Eph, Fri Mar-15-13 12:10 PM
Love his work with Gaspar Noé.
644286, Really really enjoyed it
Posted by mrshow, Sat Mar-16-13 02:15 AM
It's more of an "experience" type of flick (like Enter The Void or Natural Born Killers) but not as brutal on the senses. Korine managed to successfully translate his shooting/editing style into a relatively commercial flick.

The girls are uniformly good and Franco is really impressive (Don't believe the PR btw. His character really is Riff Raff).

And now for the troll bait:

Spring Breakers >>>>>>>>>> Django Unchained
644291, 0_0 ... i need to see this shit asap
Posted by araQual, Sat Mar-16-13 06:59 AM
V.
644305, It's dope up until the ending.
Posted by DolphinTeef, Sat Mar-16-13 02:42 PM
his style has progressed a bit. this is much more accessible than his other work.

Vanessa Hudgens is the truth.

The movie starts out with a lot of anticipation and excitement (you really get a sense of the wanderlust for Spring Break) then kind of gets annoyingly repetitive for about 15mins or so up until they get arrested then Franco comes in and you're hooked.

The ending kinda ties in from the girls "treat life like a video game" comment i guess but it was just a bit too silly for me.

B-
644334, This was awesome.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Mar-17-13 01:39 AM
There are things I could nitpick (the repetition pre-Franco does at times feel like Korine just doesn't have enough footage), but Franco is amazing and there are some sequences that will rank among my favorite of the year come the end of 2013.
644830, I couldn't wait for this movie to end
Posted by The DC Sniper, Fri Mar-22-13 02:33 PM
It's like a bootleg version of Sugar & Spice but with Selena Gomez instead of Mena Suvari
644888, James Franco had me laughing **spoiler**
Posted by beatnik, Sat Mar-23-13 08:00 AM
that scene in the bedroom when he was bragging about his stuff, that shit was funny.

when lil selena got scared of the niggas the only other person in the theater got up and walked out, but then she came back, coincidence.

The ending was cool, i didn't expect them to shoot him, but them walking through the party in bikinis and not getting hit was lame, would have been cooler if they got murked.

Gucci was actually alright, but when he was holding the little girl talking about his baby was hungry I laughed.

The philosophizing and lies to mothers on the phone was lame though, it was like hearing somebody read memes off of tumblr.

and it would have been cool if selena went bad and one of the bad girls got scared, but i guess both of those ends could be realistic or cliche.

all the titties were on the beach though, should known them lil disney girls weren't ready to bust down.

now if you'll excuse me i think i have to go register as a sex offender for watching that movie.
644942, I thought it was bad. Franco was good though
Posted by Solaam, Sun Mar-24-13 12:12 AM
The constant montages and spoken word like interstitials with Franco and the girls calling home grated on me.

Good cintematography and dug the scene when the girls robbed the Chicken Shack but other than that I was ready for it to end.

I get his work but I just didn't feel like his one worked.
And the ending was straight laughable.
644951, My thoughts...
Posted by avillago, Sun Mar-24-13 09:47 AM
A great character "Alien" superbly acted by James Franco was ruined by the annoying female leads, constant repetition in the dialogue, ridiculous editing, and a terrible ending.
644968, To those saying the ending is terrible:
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Mar-24-13 03:10 PM
How is it supposed to end? What's a better ending?

The girls can't die, as that goes against the whole point being made in the film.
The girls can't be led into battle by Alien, as again, that goes against the entire point being made about female power vs. male power.
The girls can't run from the battle, as their disconnect is too strong at that point and their rage is too boiling.

If the issue is with the logic of the trajectory of their bullets, then we're nitpicking logic in a film that is totally disinterested with reality. The whole film is dreamlike, surreal, meant to be taken in as a trippy experience instead of a strict linear logical proceeding.

I keep hearing people here and elsewhere say the ending was awful. I just want to know how it's supposed to end instead, as the girls need to lead the battle charge and live.
644971, I agree
Posted by Brother Rabbit, Sun Mar-24-13 04:09 PM
loved this film, straight batshit insane, and oh so entertaining.
645019, nah...they coulda died. shoulda died.
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Mar-25-13 09:39 AM
645564, But then the female empowerment theme dies with them
Posted by zuma1986, Sun Mar-31-13 01:45 PM
645689, thelma and louise died...gloriously, i might add.
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Apr-01-13 04:30 PM
645690, But that was an entirely different film message
Posted by zuma1986, Mon Apr-01-13 05:02 PM
They were women who felt trapped by a man's world and wanted to free themself. The ending of them choosing to kill themself rather than go to back to that life or jail works perfectly with that message. Spring Breakers is about the emasculation of males and the rise of a new female. If they were to die then it'd just be a nice idea that dies in practise.
645876, this film is about female empowerment?
Posted by astralblak, Tue Apr-02-13 09:14 PM
ohh i thought it was fetish violence with fine yt chicken stripes who use to be disney stars running around in bikinis for 90 minutes
645190, It's not that they didn't die.
Posted by DolphinTeef, Tue Mar-26-13 07:37 PM
It's that they didnt take ANY bullets (thigh, arm, titty, kneecap...nothing) against experienced thugs.

They didnt even rob that diner with a real gun. No reason to believe they had any prior training at all. Stop this

It would have been beleivable if the girls + Alien and the ATL twins went in and after a tough fire fight...somehow the girls survive.

But two white girls vs 10 or so trained niggas...nahhhh
645207, The whole point is that it's a fantasy. None of the film is realistic at all.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Mar-26-13 10:00 PM
Why should it suddenly get gritty and realistic at the ending?
645213, Yea, I realized that.
Posted by DolphinTeef, Tue Mar-26-13 10:50 PM
Which is why i mentioned in my initial post that the ending ties in with the "treat life like a video game" line the girls said. But that doesn't make the ending less shitty.

remind me what else about the movie was fantasy?
645257, The visuals. The colors. The looping narration. The Everytime sequence.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-27-13 11:16 AM
>Which is why i mentioned in my initial post that the ending
>ties in with the "treat life like a video game" line the girls
>said. But that doesn't make the ending less shitty.
>
>remind me what else about the movie was fantasy?

One could argue the opening robbery is crazy fantastical the way it's first presented.

Nearly everything about both Alien's lifestyle and their spree of vicious crimes.

All of the slo-mo dub step spring break imagery, which rarely leaves the fantasy of what spring break is.

The one or two moments in which fantasy is broken for characters, they end up leaving. But for Hudgens and Benson, the delusion is never broken. Their fantasy just happens to be far more comfortable in a world of violent take-over. Once they meet Alien, they encounter no personal wake-up call. No cops, no injury, no interference worth worrying about. Hence when their friend gets shot, their reaction isn't "let's get the fuck out, we're just girls!" it's "we're gonna make these motherfuckers pay, cuz no one tries to interrupt our American dream." Consequence never once comes into their mind, just fuck fuck fuck kill kill kill.
645328, you've read alot into it
Posted by DolphinTeef, Thu Mar-28-13 12:19 AM
Korine himself said the movie represents more of a surreal, drug trip...that doesn't necessarily mean 'fantasy'

I guess i'll except the flawless genocide of skilled goons by two white girls with very accurate Mac-10s. It's fitting really.
645229, their friend got shot...they shot people...seemed hyper-realistic
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Mar-27-13 07:40 AM
645405, LOFL
Posted by astralblak, Thu Mar-28-13 11:49 PM
white boy stop
645427, ... so I'm wrong because I'm white? Or a boy?
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Mar-29-13 12:08 PM
What a confusing message.
645428, lol... sorry man i'm being an ass, but
Posted by astralblak, Fri Mar-29-13 12:30 PM
your rationalization of the film's style and narrative was very "white" IMO
645431, I'm not rationalizing its style. I'm pointing out what the style is.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Mar-29-13 01:10 PM
Big difference.

Anyone is totally allowed to say, "I didn't buy the style," or "I didn't prefer the style," or "this film doesn't work for me in general." The beauty of opinion.

But the point of the style is to create a dream-like atmosphere. I mean, the director's said as much in numerous interviews, just in case people don't want to believe me. That was the point.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion... but the overblown colors, whispered narration, flashbacks and flash forwards, slow motion, surreal imagery... No other way to describe the style other than dream-like.
645434, no, you are rationalizing the style to serve
Posted by astralblak, Fri Mar-29-13 01:28 PM
how YOU experienced the film

below, in response to Big Reg, i explained how i interpreted the style for the way in which i experienced the film. the style is not the end all be all of the film
645437, Then let me ask: what is the be-all end-all for the film?
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Mar-29-13 01:33 PM
Note that I didn't say style was the be-all end-all, as I thought the themes and character development are also top-drawer... but I'm curious to why you think this isn't a dream-like film.
645565, I rarely agree with your opinion but definitely do on this
Posted by zuma1986, Sun Mar-31-13 01:55 PM
The film was like a 90's Hype Williams music x 1000. Don't know how ppl don't think it was surreal. The intro alone set the tone for the rest of the film, hence why ppl who don't get it at first were so confused 20 mins into the film. But once it was known you should have seen how frightened and disturbed ppl were in the theatre I was in.
645589, agreed.
Posted by Joe Corn Mo, Sun Mar-31-13 10:15 PM
645007, I thought it was good
Posted by MizClayton, Mon Mar-25-13 06:20 AM
there were some dope ass shots in there

James Franco was great, and I thought all the girls did a good job

shit was artistic
645038, LOOK AT ALL MY SHIT!
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Mar-25-13 11:34 AM
645088, I loved it
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Mar-25-13 07:48 PM
With this and MISTER LONELY, Korine has somehow matured into a quality visual director. If we could only pretend that GUMMO and JULIAN DONKEY BOY and TRASH HUMPERS didn't exist....

645094, who's that in your avatar?
Posted by beatnik, Mon Mar-25-13 09:44 PM
if thats taylor swift im about to die laughing
645140, That's T-Swizzle to you son
Posted by jigga, Tue Mar-26-13 09:50 AM
>if thats taylor swift im about to die laughing
645166, Ha.... it is
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Mar-26-13 01:09 PM
>if thats taylor swift im about to die laughing

Just something about an endless loop of her sayin' "YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT ME!"
645407, Not good. maybe terrible on a repeat viewing
Posted by astralblak, Thu Mar-28-13 11:57 PM
those claiming the fantasy angle, LOL LOL LOL...

i liked the way it looked, the looping and stacking-n-splicing of images and narrative was unique as well, but the story... FOH

also James was good, but i really can't call it on any of the girls because i don't know if they're good because they really where good, or because they're Disney kids "shedding their kiddy acting skins", and my dick was just happy to see their pussy, tits and ass for 90mins

I have the urge to deconstruct this shit from all angles: race, gender, class, sex, power, but really who cares

2 maybe 2.5 outta 5
645424, Im loving the arthouse via B movie trend happening (Black Swan, Drive, etc)
Posted by BigReg, Fri Mar-29-13 10:14 AM
Which is why I don't understand why people are mad at the surreal narrative, it's like being mad at a Terrence Malick film. I understand we are all in the midst of a 'Latte Sipper' backlash on the forum but nitpicking this movie based on that is dumb because it's a latte sipper flick and stayed there.

The advertising was misleading as hell but did anyone really expect Harmony Korine to make Mean Girls 2? Its akin to being mad at the logic breaks in a Jason Statham movie ("How could he fall off a building but still be able to spring and drop kick?!?").

With that out of the way I fucking loved it. I loved how it avoided the cliche's we expected since we've seen this genre movie a million and one times...

*spoilers*

If it was a regular movie after the virginal 'Faith' character wisely checked out those chicks shouldda been doomed...

If it was a regular movie Alien would have turned on them/turned em out instead of THEM being the ones in charge oddly enough aka "You scared?".

If it was a regular movie of course those chicks would have been popped the second they hit the docks.

Hate on certain choices (I thought the repetitiveness was a little over the top, we got the point the first five times for some of the themes)..but the above was golden to me and kept me guessing.

On a side note, I also loved the Belly shoutout in the final scene (which I guess repays Hype Williams for his Gummo shoutout in Belly).
645429, LOL. Wasn't NO ONE expecting mean girls 2 (Spoilers)
Posted by astralblak, Fri Mar-29-13 12:49 PM
yall are confusing the surreal style for the actual narrative and attempting to cop pleas for how stupid the movie actual is from a story stand point

the hazey dream like stacking and repetition of images / voice overs serves to underscore how surreal an experience like the one's the last two girl had could be, but it does not mean it was fantasy or some commentary on the commercialization of the gangster rap life.

the two girls are reflecting on that experience, which is why the film ends with them on the phone with their mothers and looking like they are in deep thought in the lambo. any one who has been shot at, shot some one, or been near a drive by knows how out of body those moments become. the girls, no matter how "G" they've become are in a haze of emotions and ideas.

IMO it's why Korine chose to depict the film the way he did: Two white firls from a small town work the nerve to rob to get the hell out of dodge, have a great time, get released from prison and know it's not for free. fall for the "angel-thug" and want to avenge their friend getting shot. that's going to be "surreal"

cool story but it's completely unbelievable within the film's arch. Franco's character is not a wigger or a poser, he really his from that hood. he really has beef with Gucci's team. but at every opportunity people cower to the girls (bedroom scene) or they're some mystical force (shot at with a fucn ak a car length away and ONE bullet hits an arm, LOL). the fact dude got the jump on them and shot franco's character in the dome means that whole crew knew they were coming, but they kill EVERY SINGLE DUDE WITHOUT GETTING EVEN A SCRATCH... FOH

DUMB ASS SHIT. he should have killed both of them and shot back tot he two that left and the film would've had some tangible meaning, but it's just eye candy

i haven't even got into the racialized white male fantasy aspect of the film or the strange pederast over tone of it
645430, Man, I went opening night and it was hilarious hearing these teens....
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Mar-29-13 12:50 PM
>The advertising was misleading as hell but did anyone really
>expect Harmony Korine to make Mean Girls 2?

These girls were walking out behind me and we like "Um... that was stupid. I thought it was gonna be like, spring break and hooking up and drinking and maybe some drugs.... but I did NOT think people were gonna get shot."

Classic.
645474, Alien's "Look at my shit" bedroom scene HAD to be
Posted by amplifya7, Fri Mar-29-13 05:37 PM
inspired by Riff Raff's "Bad Bitch Stripper In Brazil" youtube video...You can't tell me it wasn't
645479, They mention that in this Grantland article *link*
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Mar-29-13 07:28 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9076778/harmony-korine-riff-raff-james-franco-making-spring-breakers
645566, It's inspired by hanging out with any unsupervised 16 y/o
Posted by zuma1986, Sun Mar-31-13 01:58 PM
white kid that listens to Lil Wayne lol
645480, This RiFF vs Dangeruss feud is gettin' awesome
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Mar-29-13 07:31 PM
"Riff Raff's doin all this cryin' about the inspiration for this character. He was an inspiration for part of James' character. I was the inspiration as a gangster and a rapper. He was the inspiration for him sucking on them pistols like dicks." - Dangeruss (http://www.complex.com/music/2013/03/rapper-james-franco-dangeruss-spring-breakers-riff-raff)

647494, last nihilists left standing.
Posted by will_5198, Thu Apr-18-13 04:57 PM
people go on spring break for a week of escapism -- the chance for hedonistic pursuit without many consequences. this movie captured that desire in extremes, a 90-minute music video of pornography, violence, and decreasing morals.

I loved the style. it's so gratuitous, enjoying the content makes you question your own morality along the way. most of the performances were also spot-on (Gomez struggled), with Gucci Mane overshadowing Franco at times with his brilliant, Razzie-worthy comedic gem.

by the end, those less fit are slowly sent home or picked off, as Hudgens and Benson get to trade their small-town squirt guns for a gang massacre -- their dream of "the best spring break ever!" come to life.

or maybe it didn't. like most nights on spring break, recollections of actual events can be hazy.
647516, I wanna talk Selena
Posted by CaptNish, Thu Apr-18-13 08:51 PM
>(Gomez struggled)

I thought part of the problem with her performance was just how pretty she is. She was the only one of the four whose image I thought did not change from her actual person. It had nothing to do with her performance for me. I actually thought she held her own playing a Korine creation (especially in that pool scene).

They were right to make her the first castoff though. I don't know how much more it would've worked for me.
647519, she was certainly given the toughest part
Posted by will_5198, Thu Apr-18-13 09:29 PM
Hudgens and Benson, while great, had straightforward characterizations and were often indiscernible from one another. whereas Gomez had to be naive, conflicted, a plausible companion and shoulder a thin backstory (the youth pastor made those church scenes worth it though, as a former spring breaker who was a precursor to Alien's rants).

her last scene with Franco was good. not sure whether it was her vulnerability or the utter creepiness of Alien. probably both.
647522, God, this sequence was great.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Apr-18-13 10:02 PM
(the youth
>pastor made those church scenes worth it though, as a former
>spring breaker who was a precursor to Alien's rants).

I've known this guy.
647572, You know Jeff Jarrett???
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Apr-19-13 12:36 PM
647602, lol, not that LITERAL guy.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Apr-19-13 06:16 PM
654306, YYYYEEEEAAA NNNIIIIGGGAAAA!!!!!! Chopped & Screwed version coming *swipe*
Posted by bwood, Tue Jun-25-13 07:42 AM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-korine-spring-breakers-remix-20130619,0,5358464.story

Forget the director's cut. Here comes “Spring Breakers: The Remix."

In March, the $5-million artsploitation film rippled across the cultural consciousness, spreading across social media on a viral tide of mini upturned thumbs. Starring James Franco, Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in career-defining roles, the sexy crime romp became one of the rare art house cinema offerings to cross over into the mainstream on a blaze of neon-hued bikinis.

But then too, “Spring Breakers” forever changed commercial perceptions of its director Harmony Korine, the indie auteur behind such cult movies as “Julien Donkey-Boy” and “Trash Humpers” who crashed Hollywood’s party with his debut screenplay “Kids” in 1995 and has been pushing boundaries of taste and propriety ever since.

PHOTOS: Summer Sneaks 2013

Reached recently in Miami, where the filmmaker was prepping an as-yet unspecified follow-up feature, Korine revealed to The Times his plans to extend “Spring Breakers’” cultural momentum using a trope snatched from the pop musical world.

“I had this idea,” Korine said. “With music remixes sometimes, when certain producers take a song and chop them up and deconstruct them – why not try that with a feature film? Using all different footage, making the same film all over again.”

Asked if that meant he was enlisting an outside filmmaker – or even possibly several filmmakers – to reassemble outtakes from “Spring Breakers” into something new, Korine demurred. “I’m working with different people,” he said.

“Maybe that’s a surprise. Let’s just say for right now there’ll be a whole alternate film at some point,” said Korine. “Maybe on the DVD, maybe on iTunes.”

PHOTOS: Celebrities by The Times

On July 9, Lionsgate Home Entertainment will release a Blu-ray and DVD of “Spring Breakers” that does not list any “remix” elements in its promotional materials. A publicist for A24, the company that released the film in theaters, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“It’ll be the first chopped and screwed movie,” the director added.

A sub-genre of Southern hip-hop, chopped and screwed music utilizes pitch control techniques to dramatically slow down recorded vocals and beats to replicate the super slow-mo high achieved by ingesting large quantities of codeine cough syrup – “sizzurp” as it’s known in the streets.

In 2000, DJ Screw, the Texan producer-remixer who helped popularize the sound, became one of the most famous sizzurp casualties. He died of an overdose on cough syrup and other substances, including alcohol and marijuana, a medical examiner concluded.

“The film has been sizzurped!” Korine exclaimed. “The ghost of DJ Screw came back and edited the film. It’s going to be an interesting experiment.”
654308, God I hope this makes this blu-ray edition
Posted by BigReg, Tue Jun-25-13 08:26 AM
I was amped to pick it up, now I might wait and see when this comes out.

My fav movie of 2013 so far.

654311, This is one of my favorites of 2013 also.
Posted by bwood, Tue Jun-25-13 08:38 AM
In another article he said several different filmmakers are doing remixes. I guarantee it'll have more crotch shots and tits.
654310, this will either win, or fail miserably.
Posted by Fructose Soda, Tue Jun-25-13 08:37 AM
I watched "Spring Breakers" last night, and I don't get all the hoopla.
Sure, it was interesting to see Vanessa as a bad bitch, but Selena didn't really stretch herself. Franco was awesome, tho.
As for the "pop poetry, like an explosion of skittles" color visuals.... didn't Hype Williams already do that with "Belly"?
Only difference is Harmony turned a gangsta flick into an artsy indie.
Not my favorite of his. I loved "GUMMO" and "Trash Humpers". So, ofcourse, I'm in the minority with that.

Chopped'n'screwed movie????? I'm very curious. For some reason, if it actually DOES work, I think we'll see more filmmakers imitating that idea.
Ofcourse, there have been music videos that already did this. But, we know that that mainstream never really pays much attention until its done by a White person. Just sayin.

654314, Oh it'll be a win.
Posted by bwood, Tue Jun-25-13 08:41 AM
654489, that's going to be interesting
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jun-26-13 06:28 PM
654485, Available on iTunes now.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jun-26-13 06:05 PM
655475, Listen, shockingly, I liked this shit. A lot, actually.
Posted by ZooTown74, Thu Jul-11-13 01:38 AM
I'm pinching myself as I type this, but this is hands down, Harmony Korine's best movie

It being a relatively-straightforward narrative helped

And the fact that he aped just about every visual from Hype Williams (and Little X, let's not forget him)

Even though the narrative is relatively linear, it still plays like a weed-induced dream. Or the fever fantasy of two young ladies who believe they're badasses and do shit like draw pictures of dicks and pretend to suck them while bored in class. Or stick guns with silencers in James Franco's mouth and has him fellate them. Or dance in a circle of shotguns with their girl as Franco sings a Britney Spears song. And those that they deem to be not badass are put on a bus and sent back home. Pretty interesting take on the female empowerment story to me.

Franco was quite good. The scene where he talks softly to Selena Gomez was crucial to his character, and was perfectly acted.

Vanessa Hudgens... see, I'm conflicted. Part of me was quite annoyed with her performance, like it was all "ooh, look at me calculatingly subverting my good girl image since the 'leaked' nekkid pics didn't really do it"... but, and I'm sorry for being crude here, some of the slo-mo shots of her walking away from the camera... fam...

There was an awful lot of nudity in this jawn... make of that what you will but I have no complaints...

And I think the Cliff Martinez/Skrillex score also helped a great deal.

Also, Gucci!

Fuck it, I would eagerly pay for a chopped-and-screwed version of this.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Im not posting in PTP
659296, I've been trying to scrub my brain since seeing it, but it was damn
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Aug-28-13 09:11 AM
effective. Definitely did what he set out to do as a filmmaker.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
659350, I feel like Mozart's on my dick(c)Gucci
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Aug-28-13 04:36 PM
670948, This movie was HILARIOUS
Posted by Deebot, Wed Jan-22-14 09:21 PM
-Brutally robbing people over a Britney Spears track

-Franco on the piano

-The scenes of sex & violence while talking to their parents

-"Spriiing breeaaaak, spring breeaaaak, spring break forevva"

-Gucci Mane getting pussy, then in a bubblebath

I could go on
675999, LOOK AT ALL MY SHIT
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Apr-07-14 05:02 PM
I couldn't stop laughing at that line

Not sure how i feel about this movie. Had that surreal vibe of King of New York, but more dream like. I get the fantasy/escape/"it's just a video game" thing they were going for. Not sure if it fully works, but I found it at least interesting. I see why people dug it. I see why people think it's a piece of shit, and I can't really decide if i think this is a good movie.

Gucci Mane was fucking awful though. Sure dude looked the part. (looking menacing with an ice cream cone tatted on your face is a feat in itself) but his lines came off like he was reading off a piece of paper. Everyone else was solid, so his flatness was distracting to me. Just not enough to ruin anything