Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBy the end, this felt entirely pointless and inconsequential.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=633812&mesg_id=647757
647757, By the end, this felt entirely pointless and inconsequential.
Posted by The Analyst, Mon Apr-22-13 12:27 PM
Which is too bad, because the first 30 minutes or so were fairly promising.

SPOILERS, just in case.

I give them props for creating an "effective" atmosphere and bringing a relatively interesting premise to the table. The "drones scouring the remote landscape to destroy enemy combatants hiding in caves" element could have been really interesting for obvious reasons, but they didn't do much with that idea except introduce it and leave it there.

Unfortunately, by around the halfway point it became pretty obvious the whole endeavor was just a spectacularly well-executed exercise in style. Visually, it really was spectacular, but in addition to lacking a heart and a soul, it also lacked a brain. It was like the body of a Lamborghini with no engine under the hood.

But the time we were slogging through the third act I was just waiting for the movie to end. I felt no stakes. I just didn't really care about a clone, or a replicant, or whatever he was supposed to be, nor did I care about a woman who was floating around in space for 60 years. (Sidebar: Longo's head must have exploded when he saw TWO Tom Cruises on screen at the same time, with one putting the other in a figure-8 leg lock of all things...)

The entire last 20 minutes were ludicrously bad, including Jack's "Fuck you, Sally!" line, which elicited tons of unintended laughter from the audience I saw this with. (You could tell he was trying to make the one PG-13 allotted "fuck" really count.)

Cruise was perfectly good, but there wasn't much for him to sink his teeth into here. He seemed to be doing his standard action star routine, which is fine because he's good at, but it's nothing to get excited about after having seen it countless times.

Too bad. This was a squandered opportunity. Could have been much, much better.