Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectJoss Whedon said Edgar's script was the best Marvel script ever
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=627938&mesg_id=696642
696642, Joss Whedon said Edgar's script was the best Marvel script ever
Posted by bwood, Wed Apr-22-15 07:17 AM
http://www.slashfilm.com/joss-whedon-edgar-wright-ant-man/

Nothing against Peyton Reed‘s Ant-Man, but there are always going to be some fans wondering what Edgar Wright‘s Ant-Man could have been. His abrupt last-minute departure after years of development signaled irreconcilable creative differences, with many speculating that Wright’s unique sensibility just didn’t fit into the Marvel mold.

But Avengers director Joss Whedon suggests Wright’s Ant-Man (which he co-wrote with Joe Cornish) actually would have been perfect for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. According to him, it was the best and the “most Marvel” script the studio ever had. Read the Joss Whedon Edgar Wright Ant-Man comments after the jump.

Whedon reflected upon Wright’s exit from Ant-Man in a chat with Buzzfeed:

" I don’t get it. I thought the script was not only the best script that Marvel had ever had, but the most Marvel script I’d read. I had no interest in Ant-Man. I read the script, and was like, Of course! This is so good! It reminded me of the books when I read them. Irreverent and funny and could make what was small large, and vice versa."

"I don’t know where things went wrong. But I was very sad. Because I thought, This is a no-brainer. This is Marvel getting it exactly right. Whatever dissonance that came, whatever it was, I don’t understand why it was bigger than a marriage that seemed so right."

"But I’m not going to say it was definitely all Marvel, or Edgar’s gone mad! I felt like they would complement each other by the ways that they were different. And, uh, somethin’ happened."

Whedon sounds unhappy to be caught between Wright and Marvel. He has a longstanding relationship with the studio that continues next month with Avengers: Age of Ultron, but he also tweeted his support of Wright following the latter’s exit.