Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectso..i will wait for the ACTUAL product obviously....but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=627938&mesg_id=691041
691041, so..i will wait for the ACTUAL product obviously....but...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Jan-11-15 03:56 AM
...so, i broke my own rule of avoiding watching Marvel Trailers before i actually see the movie (well, my 'no trailer' rule is not just for Marvel movies, but for most any big blockbuster related movies)...

...at any rate, i broke the rule and watched MOST of the Ant-Man trailer when it popped up at the end of Agent Carter....

...and yeah, what i saw didnt 'wow' me. it also didnt 'un-wow' me either. I guess what i'm saying is that, at this point i dont have any idea what to expect from this one, good or bad.

what i saw of the trailer didnt give away much of anything really (and, thats mainly good for me because thats PART of what im trying to avoid by avoiding trailers....trying to avoid presetting expectations so that i can experience the movie in the theater as raw-ly as possible,,,

Creatively speaking though, the trailer itself wasnt that intriguing...what they chose to show in the trailer, there wasn't any unique 'vibe' to make me 'tilt my head side-ways ya know?

I'm obviously not gonna poopoo a flic based on a trailer, but what i think a GOOD trailer SHOULD do is, it should peak my interest...peak my curiosity ....but do so without giving away ANY spoilers and withOUT giving any surprise 'big' scenes in advance that would be diminish the IN THEATER raw discovery experience....this trailer didnt really do that for me. (the original "Alien" trailer is a perfect example of a fantastically succesful and satisfying trailer)

Now, im invested in the Marvel movie universe, so obviously, i WILL be seeing this flick.
i'm a huge fan of Paul Rudd, and i thought his casting was a big plus and a 'draw' for the film.

but the trailer itself didnt really do anything to enhance my interest...i've already forgotten what i saw,,,

all cards on the table, i STILL have not gotten over the news that the folks who were involved in a few of my favorite films in recent years ("Scott Pilgram"s Edgar Wright and "Attack The Block"s Joe Cornish) are now no longer a part of this Ant-Man project...
the potential for creativity with those two cats was a DEFINITE pull for me...and i honestly cant help myself from having that 'missed opportunity for potential creative greatness' feeling in my gut...

...this isnt to say that those at the helm of Ant-Man now dont have the potential to do some wonderful things either, i honestly dont know enough about their work or perspective to get a feeling either way...i'm genuinely HOPING that they DO bring a fresh, unique and interesting movie....

what i saw of that trailer sure wasn't though...

but it IS JUST a trailer after all...

...and who knows maybe its some stroke of reverse marketing mad-genius...to actually proactively LOWER our expectations with a forgettable trailer, and then sucker-punch us with a crazy-super-creative movie later?

...we shall see...to be continued next issue....