Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: How is Jai Courtney in this?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=626881&mesg_id=641458
641458, RE: How is Jai Courtney in this?
Posted by SankofaII, Mon Feb-18-13 01:54 PM
>I will ride for pretty much any of the regulars on Spartacus,
>but I don't think I can go see this piece of shit movie. I
>read someone describe him as a "low-rent Sam Worthington"
>which is about the meanest fucking thing I've ever read, and
>I'm hoping it's not true.

real talk, who's really got presence from spartacus to make it in movies now that the show is over?

honest question...

I dig Spartacus but most of the actors on the show are solid character actors who will not be carrying movies at all.

And that's okay...nothing wrong with being a character actor: ask Viola Davis. Ask Don Cheadle. ask Jacki Weaver. ask Cate Blanchett (she leads movies, but she really is a character actress who carries movies and STEALS movies as a character actress), etc.

but, will we see Manu Bennett staring in the next summer blockbuster? Nick Tarabay? Will Cynthia Addai-Robinson?

not knocking anyone on the show but I don't see them jumping into the big leagues from this show.

Doing more steady work and popping up in more films and tv shows from here on out on both sides of the pond? Definitely.

but big leagues films and what not? Nah.

as for Jai: he's not horrible, but at the moment, he's lacking some serious presence for anyone to take him seriously as an up and coming action star.

Lets see him in some smaller, grittier dramas and see how he does, then let's revisit him being a 'star'.

I think his turn opposite Joel Edgerton in the Aussie crime thriller FELONY, and a role in I, FRANKENSTEIN should up his profile maybe.

And, don't get me wrong...I want him to win. Because if Sam Worthington's low rent ass can get movies, then Courtney can definitely get roles on more talent...

cause, though Die Hard was horrible with a decent final act, he didn't really stand out to me and it was still the bruce willis show.

and he really wasn't much in Jack Reacher, though he was oddly more interesting than Tom Cruise, which isn't saying much at all. and Courtney was the stock baddie.