Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: where did Lost go wrong?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=626083&mesg_id=626324
626324, RE: where did Lost go wrong?
Posted by Voodoochilde, Thu Sep-27-12 09:30 AM
>Like at what exact point did we realize
>They were making this shit up as they
>Went along and didn't have nothing set
>Up past the pilot?
>Do most serial shows have every episode
>Mapped out in advance
>or do they wing it and write and plan a few out
>And add on as they get there?

didnt read all of the posts so i'm sure there are similar experiences as mine...

in my house, my wife and i watched season 1 and liked it.
we both watched season 2 and liked** it too....BUT...

**my wife (a chemist/scientist type) liked and was intrigued enough by the questions to continue. I, on the other hand, became suspicious at that point that they were starting to make things up as they went. i felt like they didnt really have a long term mapping of the various cans of worms they had begun to open....so, after season 2 i bailed. (i may have watched an ep or two of season 3 but thats it.

My wife on the other hand stayed invested throughout. She had faith (like so many) that the writers were meticulously mapping the always expanding plotlines, questions, theories, historical, scientific and spiritual/religious references in an intentional way that, if a viewer took the time to piece together the zillions of 'clues', a viewer could 'figure it all out' whatever 'it' was...

My wife and her work crew would research discuss their different theories and stuff...scientific theories, mythological metaphors, etc etc...

so yeah she was all in.
but even though I am one who LOVES 'figure it out' movies and stuff, i was out after season 2 because i just felt like they (the writers) actually DIDNT have it figured out and were just throwing sheet out there .

so after 7 years, when the last season finally came, (the season finale specifically) i sat with my wife and watched it with her.

her reaction?

well..let me explain it this way....

to this day, you do NOT mention "Lost" in our house without risking an eye cutting evil look from the mrs...

...she no likey the wrap-up...

for many reasons, she felt jilted, duped, ripped off.

while she is definitely ok with spiritual elements too, and appreciated the characterizational elements throughout the series...i think, coming from her scientific background, in the end she ALSO wanted SOME kind of tangible resolution to some of the 'seemingly' solid physical island mysteries (which i dont blame her for wanting at least SOMETHING in that regard)...but she got none of that....

she's STILL bitter over that sheet....

she blames Damon Lindelof for her not enjoying Prometheus as much as she could have. (Ironically, I liked Prometheus and i actually have faith that, with Prometheus, there IS a mapped out plan/resolution...but my faith in that is really based on Ridley Scotts involvement.) My wife on the other hand, still salty from the Lost issue, has NO faith in Prometheus's 'big picture storyline being reslolved ' due to Lindelof's involvement...

so, she admits now that I was right about my "Lost is making that crap up as they go..." theory after season 2...
She thinks she is right about her "Do NOT invest any extra energy trying to figure out the answers to some of the questions Prometheus poses, Lindelof is just throwing ideas out there with no real overarching end-game"...

ahh well...we'll see how THAT one ends up....

or will we?