Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCurrently in improv overload and kinda loving it (in Chicago)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=624033&mesg_id=624381
624381, Currently in improv overload and kinda loving it (in Chicago)
Posted by Darryl_Licke, Thu Aug-30-12 11:15 PM
Next month marks 2 years of non stop improv classes and I just had my first audition last sunday and I've got my IO graduation shows starting in October.

Oh and 2 weekends ago I was at the 25th anniversary for Annoyance Theatre (Mick Napier is the coolest cat you'll ever meet and his improv book is hands down the best).

Chicago is on some other shit. I live up the street from the Upstairs Gallery. it was created by a guy who found a spot to live and said hey it's also big enough to do shows and would subsidize a shit ton of the rent. Let's do shows here. Now EVERYONE who is ANYONE in chicago trying to make it in improv is performing there.

That isn't even considering the amount of Bar prov that goes on here.

It literally astounds me how much this stuff started here and comes back to kinda one guy that said EVERYTHING is a Harold and damn if I don't feel it when I do other forms like Deconstruction, BeerSharkMice, or The Larond.

AND IT'S ALL SO MUCH FUN!!!

But gotten too serious lately as everyone wants to make a team at IO. But even in that it's fun because this group I'm with now is ungodly talented.

And even then you can have a drink with TJ Jagadowski cause he's literally the nicest guy in the world. And then you watch him perform and you're like fuck I suck.

Fuck I'm just thinking about the past 2 years, the people I've met who have done things already or who will do things in the future and I'm extremely humbled...because everyone is so damn supportive I second guess a "good scene" or a "you're good" because finding this so late in life there is no way I could actually be good at this.

But it's still fun.

I could go on for hours about this but seriously Mick Napier's book...read it.

I'm in the mecca for improv and doing it for fun and still getting caught up in it.