Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt confused me years ago, I just re-watched it not long ago...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=621937&mesg_id=635309
635309, It confused me years ago, I just re-watched it not long ago...
Posted by avionix, Fri Dec-21-12 10:14 PM
from what I recall...

two hitmen (travolta/jacks) are doing a job on some whiteboys who were doing business with their boss (ving). they come out unscathed in spite of a shooter firing on them at close range. travolta doesn't see it as divine intervention, jacks does. their conversation continues at a diner after they accidentally kill lamar in the car and harvey keitel helps them clean up the mess at their racist friend's house (tarantino).

at the diner, while travolta hits the pisser, a couple tries to stick up the restaurant. travolta comes out to find jacks with a gun on him and there's a standoff. jacks says some big dick speech and the coward stick up guy and his girl leave.

5th element is paid to throw a fight by rhames, but he doesn't and bets on himself. he cost rhames a lot of money, so he's on the run. his girl forgets some watch that was up his father's ass for years.

travolta takes rhames's dopefiend girl out and her greedy ass almost od's. travolta keeps the secret, but it bites him in the ass later when he's supposed to go kill 5th element and ends up getting shot to death.

5th element walks out and on his way out of town runs into rhames (literally). their battle is cut short by some more racists who happen to be sodomites. ving gets it in the brown eye and 5th element comes back to save his life.

they vow to keep it a secret, 5th rolls out into the sunset.

trying to write it as a linear narrative it's pretty weak. not much visual character development or change, just a lot of debates and cursing filmed with very stylized filmmaking techniques.

it's fun, but the shit ain't shawshank.