Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject"This Is Everyone's Story." This Is 40 (Apatow, 2012)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=621937
621937, "This Is Everyone's Story." This Is 40 (Apatow, 2012)
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-07-12 01:51 PM
I loved Apatow's first two, and liked the first half of Funny People... but this looks like an "Aren't wives terrible?"-fest with utterly cringe-worthy titles interspersed. (Especially since not everyone's story involves large houses in LA, concerts, drugs, and a total lack of minorities.)

I'm hoping the trailer's just a bad representative of what this film is... but between this trailer and the inevitable 2hr35 run time... I'm scared.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/this-is-40/trailers/this-is-40-theatrical-trailer-30208523.html
621941, looks mediocre
Posted by will_5198, Tue Aug-07-12 02:32 PM
Apatow's last few scripts were good ideas trapped in glaringly flawed movies, but this one doesn't even seem to have a noteworthy premise

Rudd fan but I don't like Mann's whiny acting...especially as a lead character
621946, She could be fine with a role that doesn't make her whiny.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-07-12 02:58 PM
But Apatow apparently just sees her as a bossy bitch and writes her accordingly every time she pops up. She hasn't been any fun at all since 40-Year-Old Virgin.
621944, I wasn't excited when i saw they wre doing this
Posted by Dae021, Tue Aug-07-12 02:51 PM
The trailer reinforces that idea in my mind.

I know that he loves his kids and his wife and everything, but maybe it's time to cast a new leading lady because Leslie is starting to grate on me.
621990, If Real Life Leslie Mann Is Anything Like On Screen Leslie Mann
Posted by Robinson Pearl, Wed Aug-08-12 04:34 AM
...I sense a murder-suicide in Apatow's future.

That "This Is Everybody's Story" slogan just hammers home why 2012 Apatow is the executive producer behind Girls. The diverse, working/middle class 40 Year Old Virgins days are a distant memory.

621996, the "This Is Everyone's Story."
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Aug-08-12 08:41 AM
Grates my nerves to no end.

I loved the other Apatow stuff leading up to this but this one strikes me as a wee bit too self-indulgent.

"naive as the dry leaves on the ground looking past the trees to the blue sky asking 'why me?'" -Blu
622013, THIS AIN'T MY STORY MOTHERFUCKER! - Overly-aggressive PTP response
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Aug-08-12 11:25 AM
Hopefully, this will be the final time Apatow casts his family in one of his movies

Otherwise, this actually doesn't look terrible, I laughed at Albert Brooks' pause, then the "Your mother wanted you aborted" line

^^^ More blind praise for whyte direcktors

Posted by Basaglia, Thu Aug-09-12 06:58 PM
give people a chance
622189, You're right, I'm sure Apatow will cast his family again
Posted by ZooTown74, Thu Aug-09-12 07:35 PM
and we will all be annoyed

Posted by Basaglia, Thu Aug-09-12 07:39 PM
622024, Or, apparently, an analogical imagination
Posted by Walleye, Wed Aug-08-12 12:20 PM
>(Especially since not everyone's story involves large houses in LA,
>concerts, drugs, and a total lack of minorities.)

Good grief. He made a movie that he thinks has something broad to say about middle-aged relationships regardless of floor space, geography, or demographics. Let it fail on that objective and not because Paul Rudd's character drives a Volvo and you would never, ever drive a Volvo.
622026, I understand that.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Aug-08-12 12:37 PM
That was more a reference to the recent Girls media howling than anything else.

I hate the line far more on the level of it being a hackneyed theme declaration than anything regarding its blatant whiteness. My favorite filmmaker of all time is Woody Allen, for fuck's sake. And Annie Hall's trailer wouldn't have declared "THESE ARE OUR RELATIONSHIPS. WE'VE ALL HAD RELATIONSHIPS LIKE THESE." Achieve something that can be felt universally through your specificity, but don't shout about your universal appeal.
622031, Eh, it's still obnoxious.
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Aug-08-12 01:44 PM
Especially in this economic climate, having a guy with a huge house, pretty wife, good job complaining that he's not happy enough is off-putting. That "story" might be a fleeting moment for most people but it's then quickly overshadowed by the real world.
622069, oh brother....n/m
Posted by Calico, Wed Aug-08-12 10:25 PM
622070, It doesn't help that the trailer isn't funny.
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Aug-08-12 10:44 PM
622073, my dude, that's real. it's real presumptuous and arrogant
Posted by avionix, Wed Aug-08-12 10:58 PM
to say my story is that story. needless to say, it's not.

i think apatow and his characters were never resonating with me though. I thought all of his films were flawed and meek representations of upper middle class lifestyles. from 40 y/o virgin on, i've not enjoyed much he's done.

but i don't plan on catching this one, neither did i care to catch "funny people" for the same reason.

i see the world is changing. artists need to represent that for me to spend my dollar these days.
622092, LOL..ok
Posted by Calico, Thu Aug-09-12 05:52 AM
...it's just not that serious to me.....but i agree with SH above that the trailer wasn't really funny, which is a key ingredient

..the whole argument against this movie right sounds silly other than "it doesn't actually look funny"
622214, if it's not that serious to you, cool. i'm a filmmaker, so for me
Posted by avionix, Fri Aug-10-12 02:27 AM
the shit matters.

and you're right about it not looking funny in the least.
but apatow has never been hilarious to me. just fairly competent.

carry on.
622292, so...you mad....
Posted by Calico, Fri Aug-10-12 05:02 PM
he's a filmmaker, you're a filmmaker and you feel like he's a shitty one.....cool...

where can i see one of your films?

622303, FOH
Posted by astralblak, Fri Aug-10-12 08:36 PM
with this passive investment in cultural productions / representations

shit is unimaginative, lame and doesn't look the slightest bit funny
622308, LOL...i can see where this is going...
Posted by Calico, Fri Aug-10-12 09:06 PM
(and why certain people have a ball in posts like this...but that ain't me homie)

....you first tho....God Bless
622274, ...
Posted by Dr Claw, Fri Aug-10-12 02:55 PM
>and you would never, ever drive a Volvo.

based on this commentary and the director I am more interested in this film than I've ever been
622071, Definite Improvement Over The First Trailer
Posted by mrshow, Wed Aug-08-12 10:51 PM
I laughed. I just hope Apatow can keep it to under two hours this time.
622149, no chance
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Aug-09-12 03:42 PM
>I just hope Apatow can keep it to under two hours
>this time.
622397, HUGE laughs at The Campaign today
Posted by handle, Sun Aug-12-12 12:10 AM
I like Rudd, but I'm not sure if I can sit through a movie was Leslie Mann's character from 40 year old virgin for two plus hours.

Leslie Mann from Big Daddy is a whole other case: http://blog.mrskin.com/data/features/188/mann-bigdaddy-1.jpg
622153, Nothing about this movie makes me want to see it...
Posted by CaptNish, Thu Aug-09-12 04:08 PM
...not even Megan Fox's bewbs.
622173, Looks okay
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Aug-09-12 06:06 PM
Not great, just okay. This doesn't make me want to shell out for a movie ticket, but I'm not offended by the tagline, either.
622304, yawn. red box rental
Posted by astralblak, Fri Aug-10-12 08:37 PM
622429, lol @ everybody going nuts over this marketing slogan...it's not that serious
Posted by gumz, Sun Aug-12-12 01:55 PM
622515, sorry i dont relate.
Posted by Binlahab, Mon Aug-13-12 06:13 AM
im almost 40 (got a few yrs)

and uh...yeah to a degree i get it

but overall? naw

do or die
630839, Apatow's weakest effort yet,,,
Posted by bwood, Wed Nov-14-12 10:05 AM
Honestly I only remember laughing a few times. Most of the jokes didn't land and was just weak as a whole. Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann would argue about the same shit over and over and over again the whole movie. Also, I understand the older daughter's story was her having her first period, but she was such a grating bitch. I couldn't really relate to any of the characters in this. This just didn't work. If you hated or didn't like Funny People, I suggest that you avoid this like the plague.
634575, Yep
Posted by lfresh, Sun Dec-16-12 09:50 PM
. (Especially since not everyone's story involves large houses in LA, concerts, drugs, and a total lack of minorities.)

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
635342, lol
Posted by guru0509, Fri Dec-21-12 11:55 PM
>. (Especially since not everyone's story involves large
>houses in LA, concerts, drugs, and a total lack of
>minorities.)
634641, So seriously, this movie made me angry.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Dec-17-12 01:07 PM
The good: Performances are pretty good. Those little girls are funny. Rudd is pretty great. Mann is too.

The bad: Basically everything else. This is literally miserable rich people arguing for 135 minutes. There's no semblance of a story. What IS there makes almost no sense....Paul Rudd/Leslie Mann are upper middle class while simultaneously running failing businesses. Paul Rudd couldn't get a job anywhere in the music industry, so he started his own label...so one can assume he's been failing for some time, yet they have a lot of nice shit and get Sprinkles cupcakes every day.

There's so many characters shoehorned into this for no reason at all.

It's too long.

It's fucking bad.
634656, Which means it will probably make a lot of money.
Posted by muzuabo, Mon Dec-17-12 02:27 PM
It seems like a bunch of cats on here look at films from a film snob perspective. That is not the average film goer.
634657, There's nothing snobbish about hating a (lack of) story.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Dec-17-12 02:32 PM
Like, at all.

It'll probably do ok, but...there's nothing snobbish or film dorky about what I said.
634713, What was the story in 'Pulp Fiction?" Honest question
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Dec-18-12 07:02 AM

I saw a bunch of random scenes and a Macguffin

The internet says something about miracles, but
that's only apparent after you've read reviews

In terms of sitting down and watching the movie,
what was it about?

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
635309, It confused me years ago, I just re-watched it not long ago...
Posted by avionix, Fri Dec-21-12 10:14 PM
from what I recall...

two hitmen (travolta/jacks) are doing a job on some whiteboys who were doing business with their boss (ving). they come out unscathed in spite of a shooter firing on them at close range. travolta doesn't see it as divine intervention, jacks does. their conversation continues at a diner after they accidentally kill lamar in the car and harvey keitel helps them clean up the mess at their racist friend's house (tarantino).

at the diner, while travolta hits the pisser, a couple tries to stick up the restaurant. travolta comes out to find jacks with a gun on him and there's a standoff. jacks says some big dick speech and the coward stick up guy and his girl leave.

5th element is paid to throw a fight by rhames, but he doesn't and bets on himself. he cost rhames a lot of money, so he's on the run. his girl forgets some watch that was up his father's ass for years.

travolta takes rhames's dopefiend girl out and her greedy ass almost od's. travolta keeps the secret, but it bites him in the ass later when he's supposed to go kill 5th element and ends up getting shot to death.

5th element walks out and on his way out of town runs into rhames (literally). their battle is cut short by some more racists who happen to be sodomites. ving gets it in the brown eye and 5th element comes back to save his life.

they vow to keep it a secret, 5th rolls out into the sunset.

trying to write it as a linear narrative it's pretty weak. not much visual character development or change, just a lot of debates and cursing filmed with very stylized filmmaking techniques.

it's fun, but the shit ain't shawshank.
635403, your hatred of Tarantino is unrivaled...
Posted by Origin05, Sun Dec-23-12 01:27 AM
634661, Ain't nothing snobbish about disliking a movie that sucks dick
Posted by bwood, Mon Dec-17-12 03:14 PM
I swear y'all PTP niggas are on some MAJOR bullshit sometimes.
634666, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Dec-17-12 04:04 PM
>I swear y'all PTP niggas are on some MAJOR bullshit
>sometimes.

Posted by SankofaII, Mon Dec-17-12 05:20 PM
that's always the de facto response when you don't like a movie in this forum, "oh you're a snob"

nah nigga, the movie was shitty! and here are my reasons *WHY* i thought it was shitty and can choke on a bag of ashy, std infected DICKS...

you tell the reasons, folk accuse you of being a snob.

How about people shut the fuck up and just acknowledge the fact that MOST movies that come out of hollywood aren't good and it's perfectly okay to say they aren't and go in?

i feel the fuckwads who universally praise shit in her and lame as fuck.

be okay with saying shit sucks. y'all not getting a check from the studio. GO THE FUCK IN....sheesh!
634678, Sanko
Posted by bwood, Mon Dec-17-12 05:22 PM
Me and you have had our disagreements in here, but for the most part when you post, I usually tend to co-sign. Especially now...
634684, RE: Sanko
Posted by SankofaII, Mon Dec-17-12 06:05 PM
>Me and you have had our disagreements in here, but for the
>most part when you post, I usually tend to co-sign. Especially
>now...

agreed.

But, i've never understood folk in here. A person's a film snob because they don't like a movie?

um, no, dumb ass, it's called having a fully formed opinioning and coming to the table with it.

I mean, damn, when did herd mentality come into play in this forum.

And hell, i'm on a podcast where we talk horror movies all the time and we don't agree. I'm not calling one of the guys a film snob because they don't like a movie I liked.

folk need to grow up and get a fucking grip.

we don't all like the same things and there's nothing wrong with that.

smh
634687, Exactly
Posted by bwood, Mon Dec-17-12 06:11 PM
There would be no need for a discussion if we liked the same shit and sucked each other's dicks all the time.
634692, So PTPers are folks who accuse others of snobbery?
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Dec-17-12 07:05 PM
Funny, since I usually hear that PTPers are folks who ARE snobs.

Really, PTPers aren't snobs or people who accuse others of snobbery, but rather a mix of the two. Nothing monolithic about the board in the slightest.

But this was a pretty humorous about-face from the usual perspective that PTPers are latte sippers, which is usually the cry I hear.

Anyhow, I'm seeing this Friday. That's all I have to add on the actual subject, lol.

(Nothing against the gist of bwood's reply, btw, which I agree with, cuz shit is shit regardless of the package.)
634779, Well to be fair I feel that folks on this site overanalyze shit.
Posted by muzuabo, Tue Dec-18-12 03:20 PM
To the point of sapping the fun out of movies, music and video games. Not everyone is guilty but there are repeat offenders.
634714, "It did what it was supposed to do." (c) PTP
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Dec-18-12 07:07 AM

I've hear that plea cop from PTP when you want to
defend some sucky movie from a director deemed to
be "artful"

Why can't that apply to this movie? I don't agree

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

(C)Keith Murray, "
634715, Weird. I never hear this level of analysis for Tarantino films.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Dec-18-12 07:08 AM

Because all are problematic in the exact same ways
you just cross examined this film.

But you always retreat to:

"QT's film did what it wanted to do" instead of
having an honest discussion about it

Double standard

(C)Keith Murray, "
634731, I see where you're going and for the most part you're correct
Posted by Dae021, Tue Dec-18-12 10:35 AM
Pulp fiction didn't have much of a plot, but it has great dialogue and it had a great gimmick with the out of order scenes.

It was engaging, stylized and had great performances, plus it has niggas in it.

This is 40 rubs niggas wrong with the catch line (this is everyone's story) so off the top niggas is like naw, ya'll rich, got a big house, and white, this shit ain't everyone's story.

QT has made some bad flicks, but he's also made good flicks. Even if the measuring stick doesn't look the same to you, you can't be mad if niggas like something, but don't like another.
634732, how does Pulp Fiction not have a story?
Posted by ternary_star, Tue Dec-18-12 10:45 AM
A crooked boxer who double-crosses a mob boss in his final fight, trying to escape two hitmen, one of whom is attracted to the mob boss' wife.

that's pretty damn good bones for a movie and Tarantino does an amazing job adding meat to them.
634733, That shit is not the star of that movie
Posted by Dae021, Tue Dec-18-12 10:47 AM
The Dialogue and way it was presented is what makes that movie.

If the scenes are played in order this movie doesn't work NEARLY as well.

Plain and simple
634774, doesn't matter if it's the "star." O_E asked if anyone could recount the story
Posted by magilla vanilla, Tue Dec-18-12 02:15 PM
and someone could. Because it's a straightforward story told in a disjointed manner. Probably like if you had asked QT to tell you the story at a party while he was coked out of his mind.
634778, Right I get that part, but i was responding to the above Poster not OE
Posted by Dae021, Tue Dec-18-12 02:56 PM
I agree with you, QT coked out of his mind telling Sam Jackson this great story he wants to tell.
634734, Pulp Fiction's biggest fans say "the story isn't the point."
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Dec-18-12 10:48 AM
>A crooked boxer who double-crosses a mob boss in his final
>fight, trying to escape two hitmen, one of whom is attracted
>to the mob boss' wife.
>
>that's pretty damn good bones for a movie and Tarantino does
>an amazing job adding meat to them.

That its about Macguffin's, miracles, and metaphors.

So unless you want to disagree with Pulp Fiction fans,
you might want to edit or backtrack because its universally
agreed upon that the story is secondary to the other stuff
going on
634839, i agree.
Posted by ternary_star, Tue Dec-18-12 10:09 PM
i said the meat of Pulp Fiction is the style...the dialogue, the characters, the crazy situations, etc.

but to say it has no story is asinine. the core of that story is as strong as any other pulpy action movie.

as far as "This Is 40" goes...if it's funny or engaging, i'd forgive a weak story. but it sounds like there are other problems besides a disjointed script.
634744, this
Posted by lfresh, Tue Dec-18-12 11:36 AM

>This is 40 rubs niggas wrong with the catch line (this is
>everyone's story) so off the top niggas is like naw, ya'll
>rich, got a big house, and white, this shit ain't everyone's
>story.

i WISH Django would have used the 'this is everyones history'

damn it

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
634750, What?!
Posted by bwood, Tue Dec-18-12 12:00 PM

>i WISH Django would have used the 'this is everyones history'
>
>
>damn it

Like seriously what? Y'all got me rolling today.
634843, *throws on halo*
Posted by lfresh, Tue Dec-18-12 10:59 PM
can you imagine how mad people would BE though??

Django
*whip lash sound*
"America's history"
~~~~
~~~~
634679, Oh, and Lena Dunham
Posted by bwood, Mon Dec-17-12 05:30 PM
is another reason why I don't like this. Her frumpy ass showing up and giving her snarky ass lines didn't help anything.
634716, Interesting double standard on display from PTP in here
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Dec-18-12 07:10 AM

This movie sucks because you don't like what it
represents, the setting, the characters, etc

(mind you, the bitching about all of that has nothing
to do with the actual jokes; y'all fucked up whining
about the ambiance of the film because I'm gonna hold
you to that)

But Tarantino using slavery for a revenge spaghetti
western is cool?

Oh, ok.

Just checking.

(C)Keith Murray, "
634726, I'm dying of laughter right now
Posted by bwood, Tue Dec-18-12 10:13 AM
I like how everything has ties into your QT agenda.
634735, o no QT just an example. Y'all aren't addressing the point, though.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Dec-18-12 10:49 AM
>I like how everything has ties into your QT agenda.

Feel free to dodge the point at your convenience tho

(C)Keith Murray, "
634728, You should give it a rest dogg.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Dec-18-12 10:18 AM
This is making you look horrible.
634736, Nah, my agenda is "doing what it is supposed to do."
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Dec-18-12 10:51 AM
>This is making you look horrible.

Perfect analogy, actually-

You don't like my posts.

But they "do what they are supposed to do" like
Tarantino films "do what they are supposed to do"

Right?

Or can we judge goodness another way?

Because if we can, I'm gonna have all sorts of fun
upping posts where y'all COPPED PLEAS for bad movies
talking about "It did what it was supposed to do"

And shat on non-hipster movies, even though they definitely
"Did what they were supposed to do"

(C)Keith Murray, "
634753, Oh shit. I get it now. You don't watch these movies.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Dec-18-12 12:06 PM
That's why you're in here trying to have the same argument you've had for 10 years.

That's why you're in the Django post with half the replies but haven't seen it.

That's why you're arguing about Zero Dark Thirty without having seen it.

Hey btw I've never said PF "did what it was supposed to do". I urge you to prove me wrong. Calm your furious anger.
634741, Actually, I think he's doing a decent job
Posted by Mgmt, Tue Dec-18-12 11:05 AM
Of course, no one can win against okp group sensibilities and groupthink, but he's fighting the good fight
634742, Great comedy this morning
Posted by bwood, Tue Dec-18-12 11:08 AM
Niggas in here think alike. OK.
634749, PTP suffers from herd behavior
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Dec-18-12 11:59 AM

Like, was there ANY doubt that everyone would like
Django Unchained, start making shit up about its
intentions and mention "Macguffins"0?

ANY?

Read that Django post.

There is NO suspense.

Same with 'The Dark Knight" and 'The Dark Knight Rises'

Like, was PTP really going to universally dislike Dark Knight
Rises being that it was a Chrisopher Nolan movie?

Seriously-

I could have written the post before it happened.

You guys are so pathetically predictable sometimes.

(C)Keith Murray, "
634787, You forgot The Avengers too. Or does that not stick w/ your agenda?
Posted by jigga, Tue Dec-18-12 04:39 PM
>Like, was there ANY doubt that everyone would like
634751, RE: Interesting double standard on display from PTP in here
Posted by The Analyst, Tue Dec-18-12 12:02 PM
>This movie sucks because you don't like what it
>represents, the setting, the characters, etc

People in here are complaining about those things, but when it comes to actually shitting on the movie, they mostly seem to be doing so because they actually think it's a shitty movie.

So far, in here I've seen:

"Way too long. Zero story. Not funny enough to make it work."

"Aimless and scattershot."

"You never root for them to make it cause you don't care."

"makes almost no sense....There's so many characters shoehorned into this for no reason at all...It's too long...It's fucking bad."

"(this movie) sucks dick."

>(mind you, the bitching about all of that has nothing
>to do with the actual jokes;

No; it has to do with story, pacing, character development, shit like that.

>But Tarantino using slavery for a revenge spaghetti
>western is cool?
>
>Oh, ok.
>
>Just checking.

Comparison makes no sense.
634752, It did what it was supposed to do
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Dec-18-12 12:05 PM
>>This movie sucks because you don't like what it
>>represents, the setting, the characters, etc
>
>People in here are complaining about those things, but when it
>comes to actually shitting on the movie, they mostly seem to
>be doing so because they actually think it's a shitty movie.
>
>So far, in here I've seen:
>
>"Way too long. Zero story. Not funny enough to make it work."

It did what it was supposed to do, though

>"Aimless and scattershot."

>"You never root for them to make it cause you don't care."

>"makes almost no sense....There's so many characters
>shoehorned into this for no reason at all...It's too
>long...It's fucking bad."

(C)Keith Murray, "
634755, Have you seen it? Simple yes or no will do.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Dec-18-12 12:12 PM
634785, Still waiting.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Dec-18-12 04:31 PM
634760, Those criticisms indicate the exact opposite.
Posted by The Analyst, Tue Dec-18-12 01:13 PM
Unless what it was supposed to do was be shitty.
634762, No, it didn't.
Posted by bignick, Tue Dec-18-12 01:30 PM
It didn't tell a good story.
It didn't entertain.

What else is a movie supposed to do?
635436, damn. you're, like, really mad about PTP's respect for QT.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Dec-24-12 01:26 AM
PTP is trolling you.
634738, Way too long. Zero story. Not funny enough to make it work.
Posted by bignick, Tue Dec-18-12 10:58 AM
635396, disaster.
Posted by Basaglia, Sat Dec-22-12 08:22 PM

they're really pleased with themselves.
635435, I think I'm skipping this
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Dec-24-12 01:07 AM
635877, Not utter dogshit like everyone's making it out to be.
Posted by rhymesandammo, Fri Dec-28-12 08:53 PM
Also, not very good.

I need some time to think.
635884, A hilarious one-liner every 15-20 minutes.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Dec-28-12 11:54 PM
But the other complaints are true-- no story, strained humor, fragmented tone.
635888, Is it worth seeing in the theater or is it an at home viewing?
Posted by Dae021, Fri Dec-28-12 11:59 PM
635932, DVD. That'd be my pick.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Dec-29-12 01:29 PM
635966, aaand done
Posted by lfresh, Sun Dec-30-12 08:02 AM

~~~~
~~~~
635938, WTF? How does that math not decide for you?
Posted by Invisiblist, Sat Dec-29-12 02:51 PM
That's like $2.00 a laugh. Fuck that.
635916, i enjoyed the shit out of this movie
Posted by Heinz, Sat Dec-29-12 03:03 AM
it was kind of long but i didnt mind it too much

----------------------

GrandeMarshall "800" http://www.foolsgoldrecs.com/800/
Andreena "Naked EP"
G Milla "Downtown EP" http://www.audiomack.com/album/g-milla/downtown-ep-1
Asaad "Troy EP" http://asaad.bandcamp.com/album/troy-ep
635929, I thought it was funny...
Posted by phenompyrus, Sat Dec-29-12 12:56 PM
Melissa McCarthy was the highlight of the movie, she stole this and Bridesmaids IMO.

It's not as good as Knocked Up, and it does run pretty long, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.
636141, funny and worth a stream, but it's hard to get invested
Posted by theprofessional, Tue Jan-01-13 09:40 PM
in the financial problems of people driving beamers and lexuses and living in mansions in L.A. boo-hoo, we may have to buy a smaller house. boo-hoo, let's take a break from our financial woes by staying in a beachfront villa and ordering unlimited room service. boo-hoo, let's talk about stuff we may have to cut back on while cutting back on nothing and continue having the expensive birthday party we've been planning for months. didn't work for me.

also, basically nothing gets resolved. at the beginning of the film, paul rudd's label is in financial trouble and may go under. at the end of the film, paul rudd's label is in financial trouble and may go under. it never actually goes under or bounces back, just... nothing happens. same with their store. same with their marital issues. they resolve almost nothing, except that they bond over getting the better of melissa mccarthy at the end and now they like each other again.

that said, the movie is pretty funny. nothing that funny actually happens, just a lot of funny dialogue and quirky behavior. leslie mann and paul rudd are great, and the kids land a funny line every now and then. nothing about the two dads (brooks and lithgow) works though, and none of the other supporting characters (fox, segal, guy from bridesmaids) really steps up either. aside from mccarthy of course. if it shows up on netflix streaming, go for it, but not really worth a red envelope.
644887, Wow, I aggressively hate this movie
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Mar-23-13 06:26 AM
Great performances and I lauded frequently, but I just couldn't get over the self indulgences and Self-involvement of this movie. Tips isn't 40 for most people, not by a long shot.

The one thing I couldn't get from the movie was whether Apatow was aware how spoiled, vain and whiny his characters came off as?

You got to think that Apatow is aware of the message you convey showing your lead crying in their BMW right?

But then you see the scene with McCarthy in the principals office which was presented as a sweet scene of the leads bonding but all I can see is two attractive people manipulating the principal with lies to marginalized a fat chick with a legitimate complaint. What awful people I thought.

Lena Dunham, Apatows protege, has done a good job of making clear her characters are awful people to be examine, delivering a good critique of her genration.

Wasn't clear to me whether Apatow possessed the self awareness to know that this movie was rich white people's problems, not the universal ode to turning 40.

40 year old virgin and knocked up are some of my favorite comedies of all time and Apatow has a gift for finding the funny in any scene, I just wished he put it to better use than finding an excuse for a studio to underwrite hanging out with his wife and kids.

"naive as the dry leaves on the ground looking past the trees to the blue sky asking 'why me?'" -Blu

Why I still fuzz with the Lesson
http://open.spotify.com/user/brothersport86/playlist/3DhEhilho77Z0UCPbJlEJf