Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAgain, I think you guys are overlooking how Marvel fears the risk....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=613697&mesg_id=649297
649297, Again, I think you guys are overlooking how Marvel fears the risk....
Posted by CaptNish, Wed May-08-13 11:23 AM
>Black Panther NEEDS to happen

It doesn't need. At all. As a matter of fact, you say "Black Panther" to a non comic reader, I bet the first thing they say isn't "Oh, you mean T'Challa?" and immediately go full on Fox News "IS MARVEL MAKING A MOVIE ABOUT THE BLACK PANTHERS!?"

As for all of this Ant Man/Scarlet Witch/Dr. Strange balking I see in this thread, y'all are dumb. You're talking about three go to characters in the Avengers universe. A Dr. Strange film will be fucking amazing first of all. Ant Man won't be stupid because they're handling it right by giving it to Edgar Wright and letting him play lose with it. And Scarlet fucking Witch *is* the 80s Avengers. Her and Vision. What are we even talking about here? Goddamn it, I want a Black Panther flick too, but you guys are acting all weird about this like we're owed this film.

Oh, and the Blade comment? Blade worked because no one knew it was a comic book movie.

So on to my comment about "the risk." Like I said above, unless the right creative person comes through and makes this their pet project, I don't see Marvel risking their big huge blockbuster standing with the possibility of people on either side of the racial divide losing their shit. Hire a white writer or director and a lot of people (I think rightfully) will lose their shit. Hire a black writer and a black director and Marvel watches the box office hit a glass ceiling. It's fucking bullshit, but it's reality.

I mean, this is just my outlook. I'm not speaking definitively. But there are a lot of people in this thread acting like they don't know why Marvel hasn't jumped on this, when we all know EXACTLY why. Only SankofaII is really coming at this realistic.