Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI avoided this post b4 I could see it **SPOILERS**
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=613072&mesg_id=618076
618076, I avoided this post b4 I could see it **SPOILERS**
Posted by DVS, Fri Jul-13-12 09:49 AM
That being said, very dope little movie.

Hushpuppy nailed the emotional center of the movie.

I don't think Wink was an asshole...he was just a single man raising a child in a very harsh environment where weakness is not allowed. So, in his own way...he was doing his best to raise his baby.

I now have questions and spoilers

*****SPOILERS START HERE!*******

1st off...I guess its assumed that the cook at Elysian Fields is her mother. Wifey said that in one of the flashbacks, you can see the tattoo on her eye. Also, since Hushpuppy is always yelling at the lighthouse, and the coincidence of her mother frying alligator when they finally do connect...I didn't catch that until later. I also enjoyed the dynamic of a woman being the one to leave the family instead of Wink, the defacto "deadbeat" stereotype was 86'ed for this and I enjoyed it.

I got a little misty when Wink and Hushpuppy had their final moment. It showed the humanity of their relationship...even though you try to suppress your emotions, you can only do so much when it comes down to it. It was additionally poignant because the Mrs and I went to see it on the eve of the 18th anniversary of her father's passing.

********SPOILERS DONE**********

anyway, dope film I'd recommend it.

D