Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI think I did myself a disservice by reading so much in advance...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=613072&mesg_id=618069
618069, I think I did myself a disservice by reading so much in advance...
Posted by The Analyst, Fri Jul-13-12 09:07 AM
Because I sat there the whole time trying to decode the symbolism and ascertain the "meaning" of every little thing, and after it was over I realized that I barely focused on the story itself. I need (and want) to watch it again.

That being said, I liked it.

My personal feeling that the point they're trying to get across is that the "old" way of life (as individuals, as communities, as a country) is dying, and as we move in to the future, we need to be prepared to face the challenges it will bring (the beasts). Some of those challenges: ice caps melting, oil companies in the distance, government overreach/incompetence, and even terrorism. At least those are what I kept taking the beasts to represent. I think when Hushpuppy stares down the beasts at the end, it's showing that she is ready to face the future, and once that happens the old, way of doing things (her father) can die.

I'll be honest: I saw this last night and went to sleep immediately afterwards, so I haven't really thought any of that through. I guess that was just kind of my initial reaction. I think a second viewing will really help flesh it out in my mind.

My only real major nitpick is the massively shaky camera. So fucking shaky! I know it adds some intimacy to go with a handheld, but I couldn't help but be a little distracted by it at times. The look of the cinematography was great aside from that though.

The two lead performances were great as well.

I liked it, and I expect to like it even more the more I think about it.