Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI don't think it's a conservative piece either. the problem is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=613072&mesg_id=617635
617635, I don't think it's a conservative piece either. the problem is
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jul-09-12 05:50 PM
there are many scenes that can be read that way, without any refutation otherwise. every theme presented in the movie is seemingly contradicted by another.

disagree about the hospital escape, as mentioned. if you take Wink as a metaphor for the dying lifestyle of the Bathtub, it works -- his refusal of assistance (from "his own" as well) underscores the importance of community.

however, *everybody* from the Bathtub wanted out of there. the shelter was portrayed as a cold, bleak place, run by those who didn't understand them (the callous doctor and scolding teacher). Hushpuppy's hair is pinned back and she's put in a dress, depriving her of her magical individual charm! leaving there was freedom, as to say the cost of institutionalization was not worth the help.

maybe I misread it, but I also thought the alcoholism in the Bathtub was disconcerting. fine that it exists, but the writers seem to step off the ledge by having Wink and Hushpuppy share a shot in reconciliation. father-daughter moment indeed.

and if you believe that Bathtub life was unsustainable -- represented through Wink (death) and Hushpuppy (the stronger, better version) -- the evil industrial powers actually did them a favor by building a levee and melting the ice caps. there goes all that pandering to the nature we saw in the first 20 minutes.

lastly, if you excuse Hushpuppy's voiceovers as throwaway inferences from a child, why include them anyway? we already know the world is sensationalized by Hushpuppy's viewpoint. if her declarative statements ("everything in the universe is connected"...but not really) were just reminders, they were distractingly empty.