Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI was in a constant state of cringe and forgive
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=613072&mesg_id=617474
617474, I was in a constant state of cringe and forgive
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jul-07-12 01:16 PM
I figured the hospital segment would be a critique on the ineffectiveness of FEMA, to go along with the point about climate change. by the time they leave, it might as well have been an advert for the Tea Party -- a proud rejection of nanny state healthcare, except done by a cancerous man who sustains his daughter on cat food.

the escape itself was funny though, and the following moment between Wink and Hushpuppy was touching. so I tried to forget whatever allegory was just made. as you mention, it could have been a point about the unsustainable lifestyle in the Bathtub, but if that's so, I REALLY have a problem with a bunch of preceding scenes in that habitat.

oh well. the less I try and untangle the stop-start themes, the better. I agree it's very good as a father-daughter / self-determination piece, and well-acted (Wallis' voice-overs are amazing). if only it was allowed to be just that, uncluttered.