Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWordman's Off The Top Recommendations
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=601420&mesg_id=601454
601454, Wordman's Off The Top Recommendations
Posted by Wordman, Fri Mar-02-12 01:06 PM
non-dialogue, heavy on the subtext and mood, well let's see:

*You should check out all of Jarmusch's films. GHOST DOG is probably his most dialogue-heavy. STRANGERS IN PARADISE is one I particularly enjoy.

*LE SAMOURAI, it's by Jean-Pierre Melville, and is the movie Jarmusch (quite liberally) takes from for GHOST DOG. Alain Delon all but invents the silent killer in this film.

*Melville was the king of the moody, silent pieces, a father to many of the French New Wave. Just about all of his movies would work for what you're looking for, I'd personally recommend THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD.

*There's the Clint Eastwood/Sergio Leone "Man with no name" trilogy: A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE and THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY.

*You could always watch Kevin Smith's CLERKS with the sound off...

*THE LAST LAUGH. An old German film, stars the amazingly talented actor Emil Jannings. Doesn't really fit your requirements, but I think it still works pretty well.

*LA JETEE would work pretty well.

*BAGDAD CAFE. Especially if you enjoy the "Jarmusch style" of characterization.

*Peter Weir's movies have and use dialogue, but I still feel like his early films fit what you're looking for. THE LAST WAVE, and especially PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK, do more with mood and subtext than movies that don't have dialogue. PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK is incredible.

*LE QUATTRO VOLTRE. Trust me, you'll never see a "funny but I don't know why" scene better than the one with the goat.

*UGETSU is like a dream, although it is a dialogue-dependent.

*Crap, I almost forgot, there's the "Qatsi Trilogy." No dialogue, no characters, just images and video footage that together builds into something. The incomparable Philip Glass did the score for all three of them (I think, I know he did for the first two). In order, they are: KOYAANISQATSI, POWAQQATSI, and NAQOYQATSI.

*ASHES OF TIME REDUX by Wong Kar Wai is a great choice out of his films. Probably his least dialogue-dependent film, and it works just beautifully. I don't understand how people haven't seen his films.

*Some folks have recommended to me A SERIOUS MAN by the Coen Bros. for reasons that fit with what you're looking for, but I've never seen it. Worst case scenario, you spend two hours watching a Coen Bros. movie (there are worse ways to spend two hours).

*You'll have a lot of luck with the Italian New Wave stuff too. They're real big on that style. Michelangelo Antonioni "malaise trilogy" of L'AVVENTURA, LA NOTTE, and L'ECLISSE is probably the best way to go.

*There's the incomparable LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD.

*There's a Jacques Tati film I'm thinking of that's PERFECT for this list, but for the life of me I can't think of it.

*Fuck it, THE BELLBOY by Jerry Lewis. Because there's little in this "genre" that's funny.

*Someone on this board should be able to remind me of what DAVID BOWIE movie I'm thinking of; there's a great sci-fi film he's in that works for this.

*You could spend a few hours watching RADIOHEAD music videos.

*GOODBYE, DRAGON INN is an amazing movie, perfect for what you're asking for, and I swear I'm the only who has ever heard of it.

That should keep you busy, if I think of anything else, I'll be sure to add on.
Peace

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams