Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectGreatness
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=595238&mesg_id=618868
618868, Greatness
Posted by astralblak, Thu Jul-19-12 01:36 AM
Easily my second favorite Wes flick after Royal Ts (and RT is in my top 10 of the last 12 years). I loved that he returned to that obsessive painterly framing of shots and keeping the colors of shots/scenes in the same palette / mood. that style of shooting just really keeps me inside of the film, geeking at the little things that bring frames to life.

the development of the characters is balanced and emotive, and the acting by the two main youth, Bruce, Norton, Tilda and McDormand is damn near perfection. Schwarts and Keitel's cameos were nice too.

it was a clever quiet comedy that was very dark at times, and used youth to tell an adult story. the scene once they get to what they eventually name MK is a bit pederast, but it works.

overall this is my favorite film of the year, tied with The Grey, and solidifies Wes as top 5 current working director in my book, really top 3 with PTA and Inarritu. i got his filmography as follows
1. RT
2. MK
3. Fox
4. TLA
5. DL
6. Rushmore (will never see or agree on this films greatness, ever. it bores me to shit at times)