Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectsaw this last night.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=589028&mesg_id=624711
624711, saw this last night.
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Tue Sep-04-12 08:52 PM
i REALLY liked the first hour and twenty minutes.

then the scene with Charlize and Patton Oswalt's sister happened and I now hate the movie. what I hated about that scene is that the message of that scene between the two really underminded any real and sincere emotional depth and momentum that the movie had generated at that point.

i'm not really clinical with my movie watching, but i really liked the naturalism of Charlize's character and the smartness and awareness that was used by the writer to show Charlize's and Oswalt's depression. they both were displayed with a seemingly genuine sense of the emotional deadness and feelings of being trapped by depression. as someone who struggles with emotional health, that realism really stuck out to me.

but when Oswalt's sister basically dismissed the real and hard-earned insight Charlize's character had made by basically saying that Charlize's character's need to genuinely connect with people would be better served looking fashionable in cute dresses and hanging out with vapid people in a city over a town. wow, real deep writing there.

granted, ending this movie seems like it would be a bit more difficult as it seems. if Charlize's character does a complete 180-turn based off the incident at Wilson's house, that seems unrealistic, and if she decided to stay in the town and be with Oswalt until that relationship ended, that would have seemed like pandering. (although, they both seemed well-matched emotionally.)

i thought that up until that scene in the house, the movie was well-written, but that scene really pissed in my Wheaties.

Charlize was great in this, as was the acting all-across the board.

i do agree with Zoo, that Wilson's character seemed blind to Charlize's motives until she outright declared them to him. it would have been smarter to write Wilson as more aware of her motivations or at the least perhaps entertained Charlize's advance because of wanting to have what he once did.

i know this isn't a 'bad' movie, and I wouldn't tell people not to see it. but the ending made this one of the worst movie experiences I've had in a while.