Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectFinally got around to it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=589028&mesg_id=602923
602923, Finally got around to it
Posted by astralblak, Sat Mar-17-12 11:11 PM
Shit is DARK

and unlike others, their is definitely a story here and Charlize, outside of Tilda Swinton (We Need to Talk About Kevin) had the best acting performance of last year. The ways she subtly moves from boredom to anger to self- deprecation to depression to lashing out against "innocent" folk, is jarring. The scene when she first meets her ex at the "bar"... when they get to the parking lot, damn that was uncomfortable and wonderfully acted. It makes me place her above Julianne Moore for best working actresses (don't bring up the GOAT Streep, no need to). Patton was really endearing/engaging as well.

I also feel Diablo's writing style actually works much better within this dynamic because it's adults playing the roles and Reitman's directing is very well paced and sets a very good uneasy tone throughout that compliments Diablo's characters very well.

Beyond Mavis' psychosis and break, the film really has a subtext that interrogates the social constructions of the small town/suburb life versus life in the city. It's very critical of both and i think encapsulates the banality of suburbia and the superficiality of city life in that last coffee conversation.

@@@ / @@@ 1/2 out of 5