Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMust See "Margin Call" (J.C. Chandor, 2011)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=585535
585535, Must See "Margin Call" (J.C. Chandor, 2011)
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Oct-21-11 10:20 PM
Admittedly the movie is cold and without frills but I think this is a move that everyone should see and should probably be in every high school history class next year.

One night, one firm, one last chance before the market collapses. The acting is stellar and the film doesn't take a stand or value judgement on the characters, it just lets you watch them react to the crisis.

It was a bare bones movie but that's all it needed to be. It has a couple of great monologues (albeit no "Greed is Good" iconic moment) but in terms of the times, it's basically the Wall St. of this era.
585550, Thanks for the rec. Was thinking about seeing it.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Oct-22-11 10:26 AM
Interesting subject matter, but no review had blown me away yet.
585763, Was excited to see it, ended up disapointed
Posted by theothursdays, Mon Oct-24-11 02:37 PM
Just didn't ever hook me in, actors felt out of place.

I'm sure some people will like it.

Overall just felt bored and didn't really care about any of the characters
586160, Fantastic.
Posted by stravinskian, Wed Oct-26-11 10:37 PM

A lot of people will think it's too slow. I don't like those people. I don't see any way that this story could be handled better.

It was particularly interesting to me, because I've been thinking lately about leaving academia (long story). If I did that, the standard next direction would be to become a quant, like Quinto's character, at one of the big banks. A lot of my friends from grad school have done that, both before and after the crisis. I wouldn't say I've been considering it very seriously, but it's been on my mind. I think this movie made it a little bit less so.
593453, This was Great!
Posted by astralblak, Wed Dec-28-11 01:26 AM
tone. mood. acting. pacing. dialogue.
593466, I liked it
Posted by Mageddon, Wed Dec-28-11 10:18 AM
A little dry (not a bad thing), with some good acting performances. Kevin Spacey in particular was strong.

Reminded me a little of All The President's Men, but without likable leads.
593467, Missed this post. Really liked this flick. Spacey's terrific.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Dec-28-11 10:30 AM
You'd think with Spacey's past record with the Academy that they'd be all over this flick, as it's his best performance in years, maybe since the last time he won an Oscar.
593497, Hot damn was this shit dope.
Posted by bwood, Wed Dec-28-11 01:26 PM
This is some edge of your seat shit. And it's entirely made up of dialogue.
593724, Kevin Spacey is goddamn good.
Posted by jswerve386, Thu Dec-29-11 06:30 PM
I remember in the late 90s when he had crazy buzz and it went to shit for him with bad movie choices.. He still has chops tho when needed.
593849, RE: it's alright
Posted by maternalbliss, Sat Dec-31-11 12:51 AM
Grade B
Good ensemble cast

Imo MC did not reveal anything new . Anyone with common sense should know boom and bust cycles are planned.
593969, it wasn't suppose to "reveal" anything...
Posted by builtfromwax, Sun Jan-01-12 11:07 PM
...the story is based on a firm averting their own financial meltdown PRIOR to any other firm making a move to do so. it's a precursor to the pending financial crisis. they realize they're over leveraged and try to dumb their toxic assets. that's it.
593980, liked it, Jeremy irons killed it imo
Posted by calminvasion, Mon Jan-02-12 02:54 AM
I see some of the praise for Spacey, and its well justified, but irons stole the show for me.

I guess my only gripe is the climax, imo at least, came in the middle and it was just tying up loose ends from then on. That was the board room scene with the CEO after he arrived. Everything else was just playing out what was decided. Also I guess I had a stronger connection to the other characters and felt some kind of way about the last 30min focusing on Spacey.

lol @the 23 yold, reminds me of so many BAs I've had on teams, down to the obsession with senior peoples salaries.
596962, I second this.
Posted by Options, Wed Jan-25-12 08:56 PM
>I see some of the praise for Spacey, and its well justified, but irons stole the show for me.

I enjoyed this film. I love when movies have scenes like in the boardroom specifically designed for the slow people in the audience to get caught up. When Irons' character tells him to break it ALL THE WAY down, I'm like, "thank you!"
596967, See, I thought that was great because it's how business works
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Jan-25-12 09:24 PM
That part wasn't just for the audience, it's how a lot of businesses work. The higher you get up the food chain, the less you know how things actually work. People always think the people up at the top have their pulse on the company but more often than not, they've become so far removed from the day to day that they wouldn't be able to function if they had to go back to square one again.

And the guy who discovered it all? The movie starts with the company telling him that he's disposable. (And, in the end, they bring him back, not to listen to him, but to shut him up.)

596987, great point
Posted by Options, Thu Jan-26-12 12:32 AM
didn't think about that, but I totally see it now
596945, This was menacing.
Posted by IkeMoses, Wed Jan-25-12 05:03 PM
The idea that Wall Street's greed ran our economy into the ground is less unsettling than Wall Street not even seeing the collapse coming before it's too late. It frames faith in the market as a form of religious fanaticism.

The writing and performances here were sharp. As a thriller, it was Michael Clayton without having to resort to assassinations.
659690, Dope flick. Demi Moore & Penn Badgley couldn't keep up tho.
Posted by jigga, Tue Sep-03-13 12:05 PM
Everyone else brought their A game but those two looked like they were owed a favor

Tucci's math speech towards the end was a bit of a stretch too but the rest seemed pretty real & authentic for the most part

Irons stole it but Bettany needs more work along these lines as well
660019, It was a damn good film
Posted by final_prospect82, Fri Sep-06-13 10:05 AM
but I dont see how this belongs in history class.

Too Big to Fail, while not as good a movie, deserves to be in a history class more.

Still alot is missing from it.

Problem with movies on these subjects that in order to fully understand the problem you have to have good finance knowledge or they have to do a really good job of dumming down the complexities while keeping the audience attention
660103, solid film
Posted by colonelk, Sat Sep-07-13 11:03 AM
This director showed he could handle potential dry subject matter, suspenseful pacing, and some big actors who are very capable of phoning it in (or hamming it up) if they don't respect you.

That said, the writing got a little cute at times. I counted three separate instances of the "talk to me like I'm stupid" Sorkin exposition trick.
660106, Soul Honk mentioned this already but...
Posted by jigga, Sat Sep-07-13 12:54 PM
>This director showed he could handle potential dry subject
>matter, suspenseful pacing, and some big actors who are very
>capable of phoning it in (or hamming it up) if they don't
>respect you.
>
>That said, the writing got a little cute at times. I counted
>three separate instances of the "talk to me like I'm stupid"
>Sorkin exposition trick.

I think this "trick" worked well in this instance since it showed the higher up you go the less those people really know. Unless that's the staple of the Sorkin trick itself.
735690, this film gets better and better every year.
Posted by will_5198, Thu Aug-22-19 09:51 PM
735695, This and the Big Short make great companions to one another.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Fri Aug-23-19 11:17 AM
Both must see, both a lesson in greed and what really makes this country tick.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.